Can you say recession

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
As far as ND goes this is just largly false. The main issue is with our ultra low unemployment, all the high school and college kids don't need to take all the shit minimum wage service jobs. They can find better jobs/pay and that leaves nobody for service jobs other than immigrants and we know how everyone here feels about that.

Everyone that complains about businesses being closed and how nobody wants to work should go ahead and pick up a few shifts a week at the local fast food place.

Sure and with 2% unemployment rates where do you expect those applicants to come from? A healthy unemployment rate is more like 4-5%. Anything below that and you are literally going to need to lure people away from other jobs.
unemployment rates are based on only those actively looking for a job. those that are happy living on the system and not looking are not included

Last edited:

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We have saying " if they can fog a mirror we will give them a try " starting pay with zero experience is $ 20.00 with paid health insurance, 401, and paid holidays and we can't get anyone in the door to apply and this is for a commercial construction company
$20 and hour when target offers I believe $18 an hour for non hard labor…..ahh I think I would go with $18 an hour and not have back problems in the future…..In my mind $18 or $20 is dam good money for starting job either way but if I had to pick one of the two I would be at Target.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see after 30 years of bringing great music to the fan in Minnesota, moon dance jam can't come up with enough money to pay to for the event in walker Minnesota. Times are definitely tough especially in liberal Minnesota or even the nd state fair is feeling the hurt when you have to bring in machine gun Kelly and Lil Wayne to fill in slots for entertainment. Elections have consequences

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
unemployment rates are based on only those actively looking for a job. those that are happy living on the system and not looking are not included
We also have one of the highest labor participation rates in the country, and lowest percentage on welfare. Basically all things point to the vast majority of able bodied people are working in this state.

The reality though is even if you want to ignore everything and have the stance of “nobody wants to work” it doesn’t change what you need to do as an employer. To attract and retain employees in the current environment, you need to pay more, offer better benefits, be a better employer and you will find and retain good employees. If your trying to scrape the bottom of the barrel good luck!

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
$20 and hour when target offers I believe $18 an hour for non hard labor…..ahh I think I would go with $18 an hour and not have back problems in the future…..In my mind $18 or $20 is dam good money for starting job either way but if I had to pick one of the two I would be at Target.
$18-$20 sounds like a lot when you started your 1st job under $5/hr. But you need some context. What can that really buy?

For comparison, my 1st full year of employment during high-school circa 1992, I made about $9500 working part time, ~20hrs/wk. that was just a little more than my dad made his 1st yr in Pharma sales in 1975.

In ‘75 that $9500 got you a small house @ 12-15% IF you had 20% cash up front. You also put in a suit to impress the loan officer when you went to apply for the loan.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
$18-$20 sounds like a lot when you started your 1st job under $5/hr. But you need some context. What can that really buy?

For comparison, my 1st full year of employment during high-school circa 1992, I made about $9500 working part time, ~20hrs/wk. that was just a little more than my dad made his 1st yr in Pharma sales in 1975.

In ‘75 that $9500 got you a small house @ 12-15% IF you had 20% cash up front. You also put in a suit to impress the loan officer when you went to apply for the loan.
Agree that's why to me $20 an hour for a labor jobis a little low....I can see why people aren't walking in the door to hire on. Probably need to up the wages a bit....or keep complaining about not having enough guys......

FlatTopPete

Established Member
I have noticed a lot more vehicles on the dealership lots too. Especially 3/4ton diesel pickups. BisManOnline has boats and campers galore and the stuff that is advertised is not selling as fast as it once was.

The farm economy is coming to a major slow down too. High interest + high equipment prices + low grain prices have really slowed things down.

I think we are in for some hard times ahead. Not sure what exactly is going to happen but I believe something big is about to go down.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Maybe dems really want a republican in office this time around so they can blame what's coming on the republican in office...which would be a shoe in for them in 4 years?

Only reason I can justify them still supporting biden...

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
We also have one of the highest labor participation rates in the country, and lowest percentage on welfare. Basically all things point to the vast majority of able bodied people are working in this state.

The reality though is even if you want to ignore everything and have the stance of “nobody wants to work” it doesn’t change what you need to do as an employer. To attract and retain employees in the current environment, you need to pay more, offer better benefits, be a better employer and you will find and retain good employees. If you’re trying to scrape the bottom of the barrel good luck!
it appears that of these 4 we have a higher base starting pay, except for knife river. keep in mind these are entry level jobs, require no experience And pay goes up with attendance, work ethic, and experience. Pay and production have to be in line with competitors or landing jobs would be near impossible.
IMG_0128.png

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You can make 18 bucks an hour sitting on your ass flipping burgers at any fast food restaurant in town. Why the hell would you want to bust your ass doing concrete labor for the same money?!?

Big thing I've found is most "applicants" (for me anyway) can't/won't/don't want to take a drug screening. My guess is most can't pass it. This doesn't surprise me much I guess.

I've had a dozen guys in here since Covid. Most last about a month. Most don't care, they'll just quit and move on to the next job. I've never seen anything like it and I'm afraid it's here to stay!!!

My last guy left at noon one day and never came back. Won't answer his phone or return calls. Just disappeared...

My problem is I won't put up with what most guys/bosses do. You can f'en walk your ass out of here if you're not here to work and I'll let you know if you're not doing what you're supposed to!!! IDGAF!! Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!!

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Late 70's during school years, $3.80 as an assistant night manager at a local grocery store. Thought that was pretty good coin back in the day.
After graduating in 79, hired on Railroad $5.10/hr

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The real thing is the construction jobs give you an option to work more hours then someone stuck at your basic 40 hours at 18 hrs. The construction window is short so you work nearly or more hours in a 6 month period then someone who works year round full time which I believe is 35 hours according to the BLS. Noway you make anywhere near the money flipping burgers for 18 hrs then someone working for 20+ hr at 50+ hr per week.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
it appears that of these 4 we have a higher base starting pay, except for knife river. keep in mind these are entry level jobs, require no experience And pay goes up with attendance, work ethic, and experience. Pay and production have to be in line with competitors or landing jobs would be near impossible.
IMG_0128.png
All of these companies except the last one need employees badly from my understanding...maybe Mr. ceo could take a little pay cut and pay starting wages a little more than flipping burgers......what ever happened to trying to attract long term quality, dedicated employees...now these corporations are trying to attract the first guy out of the pen and then complain about it...

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
All of these companies except the last one need employees badly from my understanding...maybe Mr. ceo could take a little pay cut and pay starting wages a little more than flipping burgers......what ever happened to trying to attract long term quality, dedicated employees...now these corporations are trying to attract the first guy out of the pen and then complain about it...
Construction labor believe it or not is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to all tradesmen. A carpenter by definition is considered a skilled laborer which is the reason why most make a few dollars more per hour then a skilled laborer at the same job.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
$20 in construction will attract nobody
Then what will the market bear for an entry level no experience laborer ? with the increase in materials, interest rates, operating costs the housing market has slowed considerably and commercial will be next. Add an increase in labor costs across the board will bring the industry to its knees. Without the building industry the rest of the economy will follow.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
The printing and distribution of a fiat currency is what drives inflation..
The Inflation Reduction Act was a giveaway of money to the tune of $1.2 Trillion.

Government agencies were given money to distribute for clean energy, healthcare, electric cars, carbon sequestration etc.

https://www.hklaw.com/-/media/files.../080822inflationreductionactsummary.pdf?la=fr

Pie chart on page 19. USDAS got a large chunk. Page 20 to 23 where USDA is spending it.

A few years back we were discussing Biden's 30x30 plan to turn America into 30 percent own or under easement by the fedgov by 2030. Some guys on NDA were for it because they thought they were going to get more places and wildlife to hunt.

I do custom seeding and this spring picked up some jobs with weird grass seed blends. The farmer got cost share from NRCS. No legumes just needle grasses some college desk jockey dreamed up. There are ranchers getting cost share to cross fence and or develop water.

This is Keynesian Economics at its finest. Pump fiat money in were sellers of seed, wire and water pumps make money but everyone else pays more for groceries.

The inflation reduction act does the opposite.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone loves to point out the Inflation Reduction Act yet the bogus Covid stimulus seems to be forgotten. That free money handed out didn’t help, particularly here where we stayed working at it just went into pockets of the companies.

$20 construction labor is starting wage at best. Again, why bust your butt when you can flip a burger for $18? Companies who have “dirty jobs” need to sell more ham just their wage. Build employees and go the extra mile to retain them. It’s expensive, but I don’t see things changing.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 31
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11