Can you say recession

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most people bought these boats and campers when financing was cheap. I know very few people that have bought toys in the last 2 years and the ones that have can definitely afford it.

Totally agree.

Check out Vallely's page on new boats and pontoons. There are some pretty large discounts out there for people with cash burning a hole in their pocket! At the same time, if you're a newb to owning a boat and without a lot of cash, those interest rates north of 7% on a very sizable purchase will cause many to run away.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most people bought these boats and campers when financing was cheap. I know very few people that have bought toys in the last 2 years and the ones that have can definitely afford it.
amen

Add to Allen's comment - many holdovers too

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Idk. For the economy to be going down the crapper I’m seeing more money being spent on boats, side by sides, four wheelers, campers , expensive clothes and vacations then I ever have. All the campers and boats being sold are probably people upgrading. I see no slow down in spending what so ever.
Seen

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
debt.JPG

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK, so I just reviewed Vallely's page, doing a little bit of day dreaming. I saw a lot of steep discounts and this curious bit of salesmanship:

2024 Yamaha WaveRunners JetBlaster®

Our Price$10,899.002024 Yamaha WaveRunners JetBlaster®
Tricks machine with fiberglass hull, more power storage and safety. Yamaha WaveRunners sell out fast – act before May!

Price aside, as I know nothing about wave runners, but that last statement in there is telling. Hurry up and buy it before May (maybe they're thinking of 2025?), yet there were multiple WaveRunners listed as available. Must have received a bonus shipment for them to still be available.

Yep, 3-4 years ago and there were no real discounts to be had in the boating world, nowadays they all seem to be marked down 10-15%. Granted, inflation boosted prices by 30% over the past few years, but it does at least look a little better for buyers now.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
The last few years I have been up at Van Hook for Independence Day.

I sit and stare in shock at the number of $80k+ boats driving by. It's an amazing thing that makes me feel less than amazing as I skipper my $30k pontoon, or $25k Lund around.

Note, neither are worth that at this point since they have a few years on them, that was the purchase price.
My dad and I just discussed this. We fish many places in SD WY and ND. Nowhere has the quantity and quality of equipment like you see on Sakakawea. Not even close anywhere else.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
OK, so I just reviewed Vallely's page, doing a little bit of day dreaming. I saw a lot of steep discounts and this curious bit of salesmanship:

2024 Yamaha WaveRunners JetBlaster®

Our Price$10,899.002024 Yamaha WaveRunners JetBlaster®
Tricks machine with fiberglass hull, more power storage and safety. Yamaha WaveRunners sell out fast – act before May!

Price aside, as I know nothing about wave runners, but that last statement in there is telling. Hurry up and buy it before May (maybe they're thinking of 2025?), yet there were multiple WaveRunners listed as available. Must have received a bonus shipment for them to still be available.

Yep, 3-4 years ago and there were no real discounts to be had in the boating world, nowadays they all seem to be marked down 10-15%. Granted, inflation boosted prices by 30% over the past few years, but it does at least look a little better for buyers now.
They are trying to use the fear of missing out..it’s a sale tactic to get people to buy. I see that and to me it makes them look desperate to sell something.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad and I just discussed this. We fish many places in SD WY and ND. Nowhere has the quantity and quality of equipment like you see on Sakakawea. Not even close anywhere else.
Should look at Indian creek any given weekend . Duramax pick your 20’ft glass boat and 40 ft 5th wheels seem to be in every camp spot.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
John Deere is laying off 600 employee. 😔
“These changes are being made due to reduced demand for the products produced at these facilities,”

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No fed rate cut coming either..I have a feeling they are gonna cause a massive recession/depression and blame it on Trump to get a dem elected in 4 years.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Haha I would say that’s low end. I know some who have 25 years. Damn crazy
I see guys with lower paying jobs then myself and they have the new boats, campers, and trucks. They roll into the campground thinking they are top dog, but do they realize people really know how they can "afford" that stuff? To each their own if they want to finance toys like that, but man they try and put a show on and they must think people don't realize how they are buying that stuff. It's totally thier decision and hey way to keep the economy rolling but your not fooling anybody if thats the intentions of trying to be a "highroller".

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Should look at Indian creek any given weekend . Duramax pick your 20’ft glass boat and 40 ft 5th wheels seem to be in every camp spot.
I fish Mobrdge a lot and it is far second fiddle to what I see at Sak. Parshall, Brendles, Van Hook are incredible with nice stuff. If there were oil wells on Standing Rock maybe it would compare. Regardless, I hope most were paid for with cash but guess not!

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are there a lot of people financed to the gills, yep. I also think people underestimate the number of people in this state with money though. Lots of duel six figure income couples out there. Also a lot of people receiving money in others ways than just their normal job.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was walking into Fleet Farm a few yrs ago. A guy pulled up with a big Dura max. It was lifted and Ranger boat in tow. The pickup has a bunch of Ranger decals on it. When he got out he has a Ranger shirt on. As he's walking by me I'm looking at it. He says to me, can't stop looking at it can you. I said it looks like 150,000.00 work of payments. His wife/girlfriend slaps him on the arm and says he's right about that.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Are there a lot of people financed to the gills, yep. I also think people underestimate the number of people in this state with money though. Lots of duel six figure income couples out there. Also a lot of people receiving money in others ways than just their normal job.
My wife and I are dual six figure…no way in hell would I finance something 20 years out, and on a 4 year note those loans are in excess of 1k per month…even at our income level that would be extremely hard to justify. Three high dollar items and your well over 3k a month in loans just for toys…yeah no thanks. I also believe there is money in ND. Kids inherited the farm and sold it off now they are blowing it on this and that. A number of well paying jobs but I would say that’s limited compared to what you see in these campgrounds.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife and I are dual six figure…no way in hell would I finance something 20 years out, and on a 4 year note those loans are in excess of 1k per month…even at our income level that would be extremely hard to justify. Three high dollar items and your well over 3k a month in loans just for toys…yeah no thanks. I also believe there is money in ND. Kids inherited the farm and sold it off now they are blowing it on this and that. A number of well paying jobs but I would say that’s limited compared to what you see in these campgrounds.
The people I’m referring to aren't taking out large loans. You’d be surprised how many homes are being paid for with cash as well.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 323
  • This month: 176
  • This month: 173
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 64