Car insurance company

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe a little hijack here, so apologies if off topic.

In ND when someone pulls your license info from the DMV you get a letter saying someone pulled your info. In this case I get two letters - one for each kid (20 with license, 16 with permit). Was curious/a little concerned that someone was pulling their license info, but didn't get a chance to follow up (didn't recognize the name of the entity pulling the info). Two weeks later I get a nasty call from my agent saying I have a licensed driver in my household that isn't on my policy and if that person isn't added in the next 10 days they are dropping my policy. After I let her have it with both barrels (kid with a permit does not have to be on the policy until licensed) she said insurance companies have third party companies research their policy holders to look for reasons to drop them or get extra premiums from them. In this case they pull license info looking for drivers not on the policy. Apparently the DMV does not differentiate between license and permit when they send out the info (which is also BS).

Insurance companies spend millions of dollars a year on attorneys and this kind of crap, maximizing profits instead of spending the money actually helping their customers.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a new Duramax in 2007. 17 years later I’m still paying the same amount for insurance as when it was brand new. How does this work?!!! It’s worth over half less than new but the insurance rate hasn’t changed. ive Been with this company for 23 years. I’m thinking about going somewhere else to get a new plan to lower the rates. Does anyone else switch companies every so often???
Print out a copy of either KBB or NADA of your vehicle and take it into them. Give them the last chance speech. They don't lower prices on their own if you have been paying and don't pursue. I know, It's complete Bull Shit . . .

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
full coverage
I am no insurance expert but I have pondered this question myself. My thoughts are that even tho your truck has less value each year, the cost to fix damage increases. However, you'd think that the amount at which the insurance company will "total" it based on damage does decrease every year. Liability cost probably increases each year and you could cause an accident with expensive vehicles that your insurance company would need to cover. Doesn't matter how what your vehicle is worth in that situation. Not to mention if there are injuries involved. Probably some other aspects that I have not thought of too. If you get an answer, please post it here as I am interested as well.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Because of multiple "natural disasters" all companies have posted increases. Unfortunately we here in ND have to pool with the southern and western states that experience large disasters, and with everything else in life we get to help cover that expense.

Shop around you will find likely lower rates here and there, however every company has gone up, and likely will again and again. It is not totally on how great you personally do on your driving record, or claim history. Like health insurance we all get a good rogering.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Insurance claims are just simply a big pain in the ass. Last week my roof, gutters, fascia and downspouts all got totaled. Found out that shingles value decreases and they will only reimburse what is deemed cash value if shingles are over 15 years old. Well, mine are 19. So it will be interesting to hear back what my shingle value is. But I believe I might start hearing Deliverance banjo music soon. 😲 Time to start getting estimates!!!

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Insurance claims are just simply a big pain in the ass. Last week my roof, gutters, fascia and downspouts all got totaled. Found out that shingles value decreases and they will only reimburse what is deemed cash value if shingles are over 15 years old. Well, mine are 19. So it will be interesting to hear back what my shingle value is. But I believe I might start hearing Deliverance banjo music soon. 😲 Time to start getting estimates!!!
Check to see if you have Replacement Cost Benefit coverage on your policy. Thankfully we had it and had repairs/replacement of roof without any deduction for depreciation.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Because of multiple "natural disasters" all companies have posted increases. Unfortunately we here in ND have to pool with the southern and western states that experience large disasters, and with everything else in life we get to help cover that expense.

Shop around you will find likely lower rates here and there, however every company has gone up, and likely will again and again. It is not totally on how great you personally do on your driving record, or claim history. Like health insurance we all get a good rogering.
Your exactly right. Us Midwesterner's are paying the bounty for the southern disasters. Building supplies will skyrocket once again

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
A lot of homeowners policies only have replacement cost coverage on roof surfaces up to 15 years then they reduce to ACV coverage. Have to read the policy form to determine what you have. Another newer restriction they are sneaking in there is % wind/hail deductibles. So you'll see like a 2% W/H deductible. On a $500K house that means you have a $10,000 deductible next time hail rolls through.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Insurance is one of the biggest scams ever. They want your money, but never want to pay out. I have paid insurance all my life and never filed a claim. The rear window of my truck broke once and I was going to file a claim but the deductible was more than the window replacement so I paid out of pocket.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our home owners and vehicles went up last year, down here in Payson.
Home went up around $1200 and car and pickup went up about $100 each, Polaris General didn't go up, but our Honda Goldwing Trike went up about $500, If I remember correctly.
Read in one of the papers down here that home owners insurance is going to sky rocket in the coming years, because of all the disasters or companies will be going broke. Also said they might quit insuring homes in certain locations.
Waiting to see how much they will be going up this year.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
From Google search.

AI Overview

In 2023, State Farm spent nearly $992 million on advertising, which was less than the $1.01 billion it spent in 2022. This was the first time since 2018 that State Farm's advertising expenses fell below $1 billion.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well all, here is the latest on my pickup and insurance. Pickup is still at Eide waiting for an ABS module that has been BO for over 2 months. Stopped there yesterday to see what's going on. They checked on the part order and told me that there is one being expedited to the US on June 17th and no for sure that they will get it. Told me there was no after market one available ether. Asked what my options were and she said we have pickups on the lot for sale. Gave her the FUCK YOU look. As far as Nationwide they denied me again after I got 2 letters from both mechanics that worked on the pickup saying why they strongly believe that my pickup was struck by lightning (Nationwide said that was just an opinion) plus some articles off line that explains how this is possible. Took all my paperwork to the State Insurance Commision which turned out to be a total waste of time. Told me that all they do is check if Nationwide did anything illegal and they don't do any negotiating in the claim that I would have to take it to court. I am totally frustrated
If your talking to Chris at Ford I wouldn't believe a word....that is all.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My thought as dad told me find a company that you can have a great relationship with and when those days come you are taken care of. I have been with State Farm my whole life never an issue. Each one is independently owned so watch that to. I have had so many claims never an issue. What really helps me is on my house I have a good friend that is in sales for a company that does all that work for hail etc.. He works with so many insurance company's they all trust him and knows how to handle it all. Thank god I just call and tell him to get it done. Vehicles same thing been with my body shop same time frame he goes to battle for me my fault or not. Again I tell him get it done. That is how they all make money
I have heard of lighten strike claims not good, good luck sir.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
If this ever happens again in the future, might I suggest firing up an old arc welder? Crank it up to full heat and let some sparks fly. That way you have an electric scar to point a finger at.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If this ever happens again in the future, might I suggest firing up an old arc welder? Crank it up to full heat and let some sparks fly. That way you have an electric scar to point a finger at.
Don't do this, as of course this is insurance fraud, and carries more than a cash fine.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Insurance is one of the biggest scams ever. They want your money, but never want to pay out. I have paid insurance all my life and never filed a claim. The rear window of my truck broke once and I was going to file a claim but the deductible was more than the window replacement so I paid out of pocket.
Insurance is the most regulated industry in the USA, if you are feeling wrongly denied, contact the insurance dept, they actually have an 800 number as they want to make sure all claims are paid or denied as they should be.

If you get denied, it is because your claim was not a payable one, an insurance company gets in just as much trouble for paying a false claim as they do for not paying a claim.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 133
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 47