Chain Sharpening

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ace Hardware.. They do a good job of sharpening but have doubled their price in the last year or so. I have files and a jig and try to do touch-ups between trips to Ace.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you guys have a Napa, they just did two for me for $5-7 (stupid me said, "that's it!?") sometime it's better to just stfu I suppose, but I was pleasantly surprised not paying out of my ass for something finally like our good ol days I guess..
They'll always have my business and recommendations as long as they don't toe the line of this trendy bs of raping their customers I guess. That's how it should work..

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I helped a buddy of mine years ago who cut trees for years. He was a pro. I watched him sharpen his. They cut so nice!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
i spent around 100 bucks on a bench sharpener from harbor freight works great
Do you have a specific model?

I recently took in six, 8 inch chains (polesaw) and it cost me $72. Seemed a bit pricey. I had recently picked up a couple new chains for $15 a piece. Not sure why I'd sharpen them anymore unless I can do it myself.

BTW, Ace in Bismarck contracts its sharpening of chainsaw blades out to a local fellow. Don't remember his name, but he does all their chainsaw blades, and probably other stuff. Part of why it's gotten so pricey.

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member

I bought the tool that is featured in this video. It works very well and is pretty simple to use. If you take pride in doing things yourself this is for you!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just touch mine up myself, not that hard once you get the correct sized file and after you do it a couple three times it doesn't take me very long especially if I just keep up with it after everything couple uses. That Stihl tool does look pretty slick

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup just like the guy in the last video was doing it. Thats how the ol tree Dr did it. He had a vice on his boom truck and had two little saws that did 90% of the trees. He'd touch them up a few times a day and he'd cut one-handed most of the time.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
One overlooked thing is the depth gauge part of the tooth, every once in a while you might need to nick that down with a file but be careful because too much and it will bite like no other. Learned that from my buddies father-in-law and what a difference it made

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
By the way, most people don't know there's a winter/summer mode on some chainsaws. I stumbled upon it when I was modifying the muffler on my Farm Boss. Had to dig out the manual to see what it was. The sun/snowflake symbols suggested what it was.

It's a little plastic piece that routes warmed air into the carb for winter mode, blocks the warm air in summer. Around 50F is when you swap.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 254
  • This month: 150
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70