Christensen Arms Mesa

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always loved my Ruger 7MM Rem Mag but 4yrs ago I bought a Savage 111 LRH in the 6.5-284 and mounted a Vortex Viper PST "for my wife" and have been impressed with it. The stock, accu trigger (took time to get used to) and overall feel of the gun is very comfortable. If I had one complaint is I don't care for the bolt but it could be that I'm basically running a short magnum in a long action. Its made 4 dead whitetails at ranges of 40-200 yards

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not a fan either but my kid loves his. Different strokes for different folks.

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tote a 12ish pound rifle around but the confidence I have in it is worth it to me. I will just work harder in the off season so it feels lighter

I wish my rifle was 12 lbs. I tote a 14+ lb rifle around. I give you props to work harder in the off season and keep carrying it. I will probably try a different approach and drink more beer and buy a lighter rifle :)

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
the thing that took me the longest to get use to on the savage was the 3 stage safety. the middle position allows you to work the bolt but not fire, and the 3rd stage is fire. I cant tell you how many times at the range I would squeeze the trigger then pull the fkr and then it dawned on me. once I got use to that I really started to like the accu trigger.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i see the pluses and minuses to a 2 stage and a really light single stage. i guess if i am shooting on bench with everything else under my control except wind and long range accuracy is the goal, i would probably choose a light single stage over a light 2 stage from a theoretical perspective. but, i have a very tough time telling the difference in grouping and/or execution on long targets at the range. i will say i've never sat down with the same rifle under the exact same conditions with two different triggers to truly compare apples to apples though. and i'm obviously no long range military sniper. but, for regular joes in a field hunting situation, they seem like they would be a horse a piece to me and the 2 stage should in theory be safer by leading to less of those dreaded unwanted firings that might come from a single stage trigger set to .0001 lbs. too many folk set em about as light as they can get them and then trounce around in the field. seems dangerous. and i know... there are other safety precautions. like, not closing the bolt all the way until the gun is shouldered, not having your finger anywhere near the trigger until you are ready to fire, keeping the gun on safe, etc. but, since i wouldn't notice the difference from an accuracy standpoint in the field, i can't really see the harm of a 2 stage for hunting rifles.

do you mind explaining the "stupid" part with a bit more detail? ;) the non marksmen like myself are interested. thanks.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
There seems to be a few different threads of thought here:

1. Christensen Arms Mesa -- the main sexiness for me about Christensen is the carbon fiber wrapped barrel. This one doesn't have that, so it loses all appeal. I think you could buy a Rem or a Savage, throw on a decent stock, have as good or better gun and be money ahead.

2. Heavy guns -- I run a AR-10 that is over 15 pounds loaded with suppressor and bipod. Heavy guns shoot better and increase your sperm count.

3. Accutrigger -- I mostly like it, but it has one major design flaw. If you pull the main trigger without pulling the pre-trigger completely (which can happen with heavy gloves on) it will "click" and you have to cycle the bolt to re-cock it. -- Cost my brother a coyote in the January moonlight a few years back.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want NO moving parts on my triggers. A crisp, clean break at around 2.5-3 lbs. I have had "spongy" triggers on ALL of my M-4's, m-16's, and 9mm's and a fair number of other weapons and didn't like any of them. Doesn't help with my marksmanship when the trigger creeps and creeps and creeps before breaking. A two stage trigger to me is akin to a wet cotton blanket in 50 below weather.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
do you mind explaining the "stupid" part with a bit more detail? ;) the non marksmen like myself are interested. thanks.

With all the click-clack-paddy-whack going on with a semi-auto, I can see the appeal of 2-stages and can even stomach a little creep.

Neither creep, overtravel, nor more than one stage are requisite for any bolt action or single-shot. You don'th have to be any kind of trained rifleman to appreciate a good trigger vs. a shitty trigger, you only need shoot them both a few times.

If Accu-triggers were at all worth a shit, you'd see them or something like them offered as aftermarket for rifles other than Savage.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
2. Heavy guns shoot better and increase your sperm count.

EXACTLY. And if it's semi-auto, you gain accuracy through volume... JUST LIKE SPERM COUNT. Glad I'm not the only one who appreciates the benefits of moving parts in a firearm.

Just made a Gunbroker Black Friday purchase. It's another 308 AR10.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For the cheap side, how about a Remington 783, in 308, shoots just fine on my steel targets and dirt chunks

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
With all the click-clack-paddy-whack going on with a semi-auto, I can see the appeal of 2-stages and can even stomach a little creep.

Neither creep, overtravel, nor more than one stage are requisite for any bolt action or single-shot. You don'th have to be any kind of trained rifleman to appreciate a good trigger vs. a shitty trigger, you only need shoot them both a few times.

If Accu-triggers were at all worth a shit, you'd see them or something like them offered as aftermarket for rifles other than Savage.

Do you prefer jewel or Timney? Your not kidding when you say shitty versus good trigger makes all the difference in the world. As far as stock I like the accu trigger over the junk my ADL came with.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Either. I really like my timney 510 it has never failed seen one Jewel that got dirty at a comp that didn't want to fire but a quick cleaning it was back up and running

- - - Updated - - -

Huffranger had a trigger he really likes I can't remember what it is

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the guns that require it, I've put Timney's in. Have quite a few that don't require triggers though. Sometimes I think guys just change the triggers to sound "Mo Betta" when they talk guns.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you prefer jewel or Timney? Your not kidding when you say shitty versus good trigger makes all the difference in the world. As far as stock I like the accu trigger over the junk my ADL came with.

Shilen for a hunting rifle. Jewel if you want to dabble in super-low pull weights measured in oz not #'s.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kimber has a lower priced rifle new this year to the Kimber Hunter that is around $700-$800 weights 6.5lbs too. Haven't shot one or even handled one but if someone wanted to get into a lightweight rifle its a good price if it shoots.
Anybody have any experience with a kimber hunter? I have a kimber Montana that shoots pretty well and is a joy to carry.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ever have a feed problem with the Montana. A few guys on rokslide were complaining about it one was while a grizzly was changing. He was glad it stopped

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope my Montana has been go to me so far have only had it for a few years and haven't shot it a lot but have put a few boxes through it with no problems. I think I might have read something there was problems with the long actions mine is a 7mm-08.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18