Savage or Tikka?

Tikka or Savage (for my specifc application)

• Tikka

Votes: 48 69.6%
  • Savage

Votes: 21 30.4%

• Total voters

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fusions did not work for me. Tried the 165's and the 180's tried reloading 165 TTSX with 2 different powders with little success. Tried the Nosler partition 180's with 3 different powders and got one to fly somewhat ok but feel like it should be able to do better with reloading.

That's just crazy talk. You probably weren't holding your mouth right. Perhaps there was a lot of abnormal magnetic activity that day affecting your balance...

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow, that's harsh. I've heard the ones on the larger calibers can be less good, but the one on my 22-250 is sweet. Breaks clean at just under two pounds. I've never had to / tried to adjust it.
The only issue I have with it is that you can pull the main trigger without pulling the 'pre-trigger' (or whatever you call it) and it will go 'click', and you have to cock it again. This can happen in the heat of battle when you're wearing big bulky gloves. There is at least one coyote that survived because of this.

Trigger shoes on rifles ought not be a pair.

CJR

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's nice indeed. Have you tried Fusions?

Fusions were just alright. 180 Federal trophy bonded tops came in second with 180 fusions coming in third. Based on average group size (six 3 shot groups) All were extremely accurate and would have gotten the job done. I drank the TSX koolaid.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
While I was on vacation this thread sure took an interesting turn. I agree that the 300 WSM can be finicky. I expected the opposite when I purchased it. There was a lot of hype about the short fat case which is more accurate, and the lack of a belt. They also touted less recoil, but it's usually found in a light rifle that kicks the snot out of you.
I started shooting Barnes X bullets back in 1989. Although they have less diameter to the wound channel they have deeper penetration which often results in more cubic inches of destroyed tissue (direct from early advertisements). I shot them in every caliber I had for about 15 years. I started shooting long range and gave them up because there are bullets just as deadly today with better ballistic coefficients. As mentioned above the X bullet will reach vitals from any angle and not to many will do that. Anyway back to the picky 300WSM. I have been reading about the new Hornady ELD-X and now have shot about 400 of them. Previously my 300 WSM would only shoot the 150 SST and 180 Nosler Partition with acceptable accuracy. The 178 ELD-X will keep a group of five under 1/2 inch with R19. When loading drop a couple of grains from what the manual tells you. The ogive is long on the ELD-X bullet and it puts more of the base into your case, resulting in higher velocity, but also higher pressures. I am 1/2 gr under max and getting 3000 fps with the 178 gr. Different manuals will give you different max loads so as I mentioned start out a couple of grains low.

Edit: darn it's been so long I forgot I posted on this thread already. Oh well one difference is I have the ELD-X down under 1/2 inch. Also a warning about threading a deer rifle down to 1/2 inch. It depends on the caliber and barrel diameter. Small barrels that are 30 caliber can not be threaded down to 1/2 inch and still have enough steel to be safe. Your smith will advise you if you can do that or not.

Edit again: Hey Kurtr I tried a different powder in my Creedmoor. Lucky I dropped two grains because I had high pressure even then. However, I was at 2992 fps with a 143 gr. Wow glad I backed off. I don't know how that load got in a manual, or if it's because of the 143 gr ELD-X or my tight chamber, what. Now that I am back home I am in hopes of developing a safe load with that powder (and accurate or it's no good). I am hoping to get 2800 fps or maybe even 2850 fps which would be crazy out of a Creedmoor. I think I need to chronograph more before I believe what I am seeing. I did shoot 10 rounds. 2992 was the highest and 2958 was the lowest. Don't know. Hard to believe and maybe I don't yet. I am wondering about the suppressor focusing muzzle blast ahead of the bullet and the chrono reading it. Of course it doesn't do that with 140 VLD and H4350. Speaking of H4350 I seen a bundle of it in Bob Wards in Missoula Mt, but didn't buy any. That was dumb.

Last edited:

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update: I actually went with a Remington 700 SPS in 7mm Rem Mag.
You're welcome svnmag, but I don't think you'll get me to shoot Fusions through it :D
I handled the Savage, Tikka, and Remington and found the Rem just 'felt' better. Although I know the Tikka is not, both the Savage and the Tikka felt 'cheap' to me. I also really liked the Christensen arms Ridgeline, but alas, I shoot left handed and the world hates me.
Once I got the idea out of my head that 300 WSM was 'better' than 7mm somehow, it was an easy choice. Lots of easy upgrade options for the Remington 700.

I'm going to start off trying 150gr Barnes TTSX (damn those are expensive) and 162gr Hornady ELD-X. Seems like H1000 may be a good choice. I also already have H4350 that I'll probably try out. Thoughts?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you will be happy with that 162gr Hornady ELD-X. So far I have shot the 30 cal 178 gr in 308 and 300WSM and bought the 212 gr for my 300 Win mag. The 143 shoot very well out of my 6.5 Creedmoor. Accuracy is good and they shoot about the same at long range as the Berger VLD.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
H-1000 and the 162 eldx play real nice in my father in laws 7 mag. If the wind would ever stop i got a box of 143 eldx i want to get loaded and shoot to find some thing for the elk hunt that is coming fast. If not guess the 140 amax will work.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're welcome svnmag, but I don't think you'll get me to shoot Fusions through it :D
I handled the Savage, Tikka, and Remington and found the Rem just 'felt' better. Although I know the Tikka is not, both the Savage and the Tikka felt 'cheap' to me. I also really liked the Christensen arms Ridgeline, but alas, I shoot left handed and the world hates me.
Once I got the idea out of my head that 300 WSM was 'better' than 7mm somehow, it was an easy choice. Lots of easy upgrade options for the Remington 700.

I'm going to start off trying 150gr Barnes TTSX (damn those are expensive) and 162gr Hornady ELD-X. Seems like H1000 may be a good choice. I also already have H4350 that I'll probably try out. Thoughts?

I would HIGHLY suggest getting a box of 150's for break in. Now, in full disclosure; my old style M77 is bedded and fully floated (not recommended with Rugers I now hear) with an incredible trigger job. My first group with this ammo was a .50 cal hole at 100. BBl cooled to ambient temp between shots. First shot is always from a cold bbl and I wanted as much as a true rep of impact for hunting as possible. Anyways, it would be cool if you would get a box and report your findings.

- - - Updated - - -

I use the SDMF maligned point blank zero. I go with 3in high at 100 and am confident holding dead center out to 4 with proper rest, etc.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was trying to entice him to get a box and now it's subverted by someone who ignores my sister and buys my brother roses. Perfect.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just tell him to buy a box. I shot fusions in my 308 pre reloading days and they shot good for factory ammo.

jokostel

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dear lord. Buy a rifle in a decent caliber... and SHOOT THE BLOODY THING.
280 AI, 7 RM,26 Nosler,264 WM, 300 WM... MAYBE if the barrel "liked" heavy for cal bullet weights, a 270 Win.
You folks seem to LOVE getting into TKO factors when talking about NA game animals. Unless its a Kodiak, Grizzly or a LARGE Bull Moose, or your trying he LR hunting game, a 300 WM is overkill for the majority of hunters abilities.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
H-1000 and the 162 eldx play real nice in my father in laws 7 mag. If the wind would ever stop i got a box of 143 eldx i want to get loaded and shoot to find some thing for the elk hunt that is coming fast. If not guess the 140 amax will work.

An Amax on elk? -- Steve Hornady would kick you in the balls...
I'm sure you are much more knowledgeable on the subject than I am -- and seems like this subject has come up before -- but IMHO: you're pushing your luck even using that on deer.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sure ELD-X is designed for critters. Interlockesque jacket yet still slickery BC's. 162's got enough ass that I wouldn't (and haven't) hesitated to shoot critters with them. Same for 105/6mm. They're Nosler ballistictipish in their on-game performance.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree the ELD-X is designed for critters. However, the A-MAX is not. Yes it will kill stuff, but if you hit an elk in the shoulder, who knows what'll happen.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

My Remington in 7mm Rem Mag loves RL-22. I've since tried 4350 and can't quite get the same groupings out of it, acceptable but not great. So if it works well for you, let me know and I'll make you a deal on some 4350.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
R 22/23 would be my 1st pitch for 150+ bullets via 7RM.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would try one of the Hodgdon that is less temp sensitive. Maybe Retumbo is to slow, but I would give it a try. So far I have not had great luck with the three new IMR temp insensitive powders. Perhaps ok, but they have not grouped with my 308, 300WSM, or 6.5 Creedmoor. velocity wasn't that great either.
People have their pet loads, but I suspect if they dig deep enough they will then understand that it's their rifle that has the pet load preference. My old 308 grouped 3/8 inch all day long with TAC. I kept telling everyone to use TAC. Many told me to try Varget. I already had and it was terrible. Well the 1/12 twist would not stabilize subsonic 165 gr. So I have a new Bartlein barrel. Now it stabilizes the 180 subsonic. However, now it doesn't like TAC and shoots under 1/4 inch with ------ yup Varget with a 178 A-Max or the new 178 ELD-X. I'm more careful now in how stubborn I am about powders.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88