Savage or Tikka?

Tikka or Savage (for my specifc application)

• Tikka

Votes: 48 69.6%
  • Savage

Votes: 21 30.4%

• Total voters

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
So the lighter bullets have more recoil than the heavier ones?

If the velocity of the hevier bullet is less than the lighter there would be less felt recoil. If the velocities are the same the hevier bullet would kick more.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a tikka t3 lite in .270 WSM. That SOB packs a good punch. I got a couple half moons over the years which has lead me to a scope with a little more eye relief. I also have a tikka in .223 that I enjoy shooting. I will continue to get tikkas if the need presents itself.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
All this whiz bang stuff is great. A good '06 and 180 factory rds would be fine and may save more petty cash down the road for "incidentals". Of course, I would recommend Fusions but they may not shoot as well as Power-Points, etc out of your rifle. I do doubt this...

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
All this whiz bang stuff is great. A good '06 and 180 factory rds would be fine and may save more petty cash down the road for "incidentals". Of course, I would recommend Fusions but they may not shoot as well as Power-Points, etc out of your rifle. I do doubt this...

I believe Fusions are speer hot-cor's

- - - Updated - - -

The more you know

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hence the .284...

I thought a caliber debate might spring out of this.
Yes, I reload.
I am a fan of the 7mm rem mag. The reason I'm thinking 300 wsm is shorter action, more efficient cartridge design (powder-wise), etc.
Now everyone tell me how and why I'm wrong.... :D

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought a caliber debate might spring out of this.
Yes, I reload.
I am a fan of the 7mm rem mag. The reason I'm thinking 300 wsm is shorter action, more efficient cartridge design (powder-wise), etc.
Now everyone tell me how and why I'm wrong.... :D

why not a 7wsm then?

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Tikka only offers certain calibers so I think he is limited in the offerings.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would get a .300 win mag over the .300 wsm.

Me too, my 300 RUM sits in it's stall and the winmag does the dirty work, they cycle and feed better than the WSM and the RUM ask any reputable gunsmith what they'd rather build for reliability. Why are you dead set on a Tikka or a Salvage? A Rem 700 is the small block chevy of rifles, pretty much endless opportunities and when you decide to rebarrel, accurize, true and bed the action, change bottom metal, flute the bolt and change the knob, get a Manners stock etc.. you'll be leaps and bounds ahead of the game with a Rem 700, send it to Chad at Longrifles Inc. and it's a done deal.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I threw out Remington because you can't seem to get a 300 WSM in left-hand.
Although more recent research has me back on the fence between 7mm and 300 WSM...

-7wsm seems to barely exist, so that's out.
-300 Win mag is out cause the WSM does everything better and is also available in at least a few factory rifles.
-I'm not doing any ultra-mag. Forget that crap.

I have some ideas down the road of a custom, long range rifle, but the more I think about it, that can't really be the same gun as the 'mountain' elk gun. For that purpose, I'm looking for something stock and left-handed... Damn that dominant eye ;:;banghead

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the velocity of the hevier bullet is less than the lighter there would be less felt recoil. If the velocities are the same the hevier bullet would kick more.

Heavier bullet is generally always less than lighter bullet so try again. 150 in my 308 had less recoil than 168 amax and the amax was a fair bit slower. I would like to see him ers to back up these claims

- - - Updated - - -

Why can't it be the same gun.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There is no winning the caliber debate. Always a personal choice. One thing that never changes for caliber is the question "What if I need to buy ammo at the local sports shop. Is it likely to be available?"

If you reload I would guess you could just about always develop an accurate load. So that question is answered.

For killing elk? They have a reputation of being a very tough animal. My limited experience is that with a shot placed where you aimed (a good killing shot), they are not as tough as there reputation. With a shot not placed in a location of desire, like all animals, you are going to need some tracking skills. The lesson learned should be "Shoot a gun you can shoot very accurately instead of trying to make up for inaccuracy with a bigger kick."

Good luck on your hunt.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heavier bullet is generally always less than lighter bullet so try again. 150 in my 308 had less recoil than 168 amax and the amax was a fair bit slower. I would like to see him ers to back up these claims

- - - Updated - - -

Why can't it be the same gun.

how much does that creed of yours weigh?

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is no winning the caliber debate. Always a personal choice. One thing that never changes for caliber is the question "What if I need to buy ammo at the local sports shop. Is it likely to be available?"

If you reload I would guess you could just about always develop an accurate load. So that question is answered.

For killing elk? They have a reputation of being a very tough animal. My limited experience is that with a shot placed where you aimed (a good killing shot), they are not as tough as there reputation. With a shot not placed in a location of desire, like all animals, you are going to need some tracking skills. The lesson learned should be "Shoot a gun you can shoot very accurately instead of trying to make up for inaccuracy with a bigger kick."

Good luck on your hunt.

Agreed but hydrostatic shock is a wicked bitch, sometimes you don't get a perfect broadside opportunity. With one of the cannons it doesn't matter, I'd shoot an elk in any direction except the ass, speed kills.

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a left hand savage 116 30.06 and shoot a 180 grain nosler ballistic tip. I'm not a "gun guy" by and means, but I hunt a lot and this gun has been fantastic for me. I love the accutrigger.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There is no winning the caliber debate. Always a personal choice.One thing that never changes for caliber is the question "What if I need to buy ammo at the local sports shop. Is it likely to be available?"For killing elk?

They have a reputation of being a very tough animal. My limited experience is that with a shot placed where you aimed (a good killing shot), they are not as tough as there reputation. With a shot not placed in a location of desire, like all animals, you are going to need some tracking skills.

The lesson learned should be "Shoot a gun you can shoot very accurately instead of trying to make up for inaccuracy with a bigger kick."

Good luck on your hunt.

The quote above regarding finding spare ammo is a good one. If something happens and you need ammo will the local store have any?

I've killed more then 50 Elk in my life so far and have used a 270 Win and a 130 gr. bullet for most of them.

I think the 300 WSM will kill Elk just fine if you do your job putting the bullet in the right spot. I wish you the best of luck in your hunt and am looking forward to pics when you get back.

I voted for the Savage as you have one and are used to it, that way you don't have to learn something new. That should make it easier to use under stress or a needed second or third shot if things don't go as well as planned.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed but hydrostatic shock is a wicked bitch, sometimes you don't get a perfect broadside opportunity. With one of the cannons it doesn't matter, I'd shoot an elk in any direction except the ass, speed kills.

Agreed. Low and slow is effective too and can be less punishing/more economical.

th

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why can't it be the same gun?

Aside from other factors, typically the 'mountain gun' is short, light and handy, while the long-range bomber is long and heavy.
I'm afraid that if I tried to build a gun somewhere in the middle, it would end up being 'just ok' at both.

Those carbon fiber-wrapped barrels may be an answer to this quandary, but they are quite expensive, and reviews seem to be mixed. Anyone have experience with those?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
how much does that creed of yours weigh?

13 ish.

- - - Updated - - -

Aside from other factors, typically the 'mountain gun' is short, light and handy, while the long-range bomber is long and heavy.
I'm afraid that if I tried to build a gun somewhere in the middle, it would end up being 'just ok' at both.

Those carbon fiber-wrapped barrels may be an answer to this quandary, but they are quite expensive, and reviews seem to be mixed. Anyone have experience with those?

The proof bbls are good to go. I will be toting my 24" 13 ish pound gun this fall. It is what i shoot all the time and it is also what i have the most confidence in. Light is expensive when dealing with any thing. When i was heavy into riding sleds out west light weight was the key and also the big dollars.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
USMCDI - Can't argue with the hydrostatic shock value. That shock, according to the laws of physics, works both ways. My point was if the gun isn't any fun to shoot, your accuracy will suffer. If you don't mind recoil then shoot the biggest you want. Once had a friend tell me when I asked why he shot such a big gun at elk his answer was "When the only shot I have is up the ass I want his eyes to bulge."

2400 - The few elk I've shot as well as a moose have been with a .270 - 130 gr. None went more than about 30 yards and the longest was 320 yds. Every shot was well-placed which is the key.

My main point is shoot a gun you are comfortable with and that comes down to personal choice with a variety of factors. I've never checked but are there many stores that allow a buyer to shoot a gun prior to purchase? Problem might be liability because I'm sure big guns would shake some dust loose if shot indoors.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88