Crank pulling help

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, I am expanding my styles of fishing and starting to pull some more cranks. I have a couple of setups with leadcore but have been reading more about how braid/fireline can be better when wanting to pull faster.

so, do you still run line counters when you do that? If so, can you recommend a reel that wouldn’t break the bank or better yet, any of you avid plug pullers have a couple you don’t use anymore that you’d be willing to part with?

Thanks

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes on line counter. Sealine one Benjamin. Look at that thinner leadcore might be your compromise. I like leadcore

- - - Updated - - -

I have two setups with just power pro. Never use em cept when going shallow

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
You want line counters so you can replicate what you're doing for success when you find something that works. Also, the Precision Data Trolling App helps a lot to, it is spendy at $100 but once you have it you have it.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have four line counter combos. All have 10lb Fireline on them. Two are 8'6" rods that go 90 deg off the sides. Two are shorty 5' rods I run off the back corners at about a 45 deg angle. The rods are Cabelas (don't recall model but they are fiberglass).

Two of the rods have Daiwa AccuDepth reels in the smallest size they make (17?). Quality seems so-so on these. One has developed a tick but that was my fault. Snagged a rock and tried to 'thumb' the spool and give the rod a good pull. Lure broke and after that the reel started to tick when free spooling. Drag still seems to work so I'm not too concerned about it. Think I paid around $50 each for these reels close to 10 years ago.

The other two reels are Okuma Magda Pro (model MA-15DXT-T). I think I paid around $50 for these also. They are mostly plastic like the Daiwa but the build quality is much better. Haven't had these as long (maybe 5-6 years) but they are holding up well. All four line counter reels have the smaller dual paddle vs the larger single paddle. I prefer this setup. Little less bulky.

From research I have done, I see Okuma Coldwater series seem to be recommend frequently. They are $100 plus probably built a little better.

For 10lb Fireline, the smaller size reel is more the enough. I think I have an enter 125 yard spool on plus a fair amount of mono backer to fill the spool up. For leadcore you may need to go up a size since it's larger in diameter. I don't run leadcore so maybe someone who does can chime in with what size linecounter reel they run.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The last two linecounters I got were Abu Garcia that were digital. Smaller profile to fit rid locker and not so big and heavy so use them to BB too. They were only $65 and have been good so far. Spool with 20 lb test spider wire, 6 lb diameter. I've never liked fireline. Been trolling since early 90s power pro or spider wire.

Also, the last 4 Diawa Sealines I got i have not been happy with. Wont buy Sealines again if these Abu Garcia's hold up. Brand new and they won't run line out on their own, and one is failing all together.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What’s your existing leadcore set up?

If you are looking to add a set of trolling rods with braid check out the Cabelas depthmaster Combos

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
AMBS 6500LC Digital Abu Garcia. Got 2 for $115 Shipped

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was hesitant to click on this post... because the title of it! Lol

For a while now I've been wanting to start a topic on lesser quality cuts of meat and taking a meat hammer after them but I'm lost for words for fear it would backfire.

- - - Updated - - -

True story.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Life was so much easier when crank baits were called plugs.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run Diawa line counters. They are about the cheapest out there and work fine for me. I don't run leadcore though, they are spooled with power pro. 90% of my fishing is done in 15 foot or less. I like running shallower cranks with a bit more line than most to get them a little farther behind the boat.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88