CWD survey Mich St Univerisity

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone else receive this letter ? If so did you or do you plan to participate? I am going to try and do a little research on this gal to see if I can find out her actual agenda before I give the final ok to participate.

1693754295467.png

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a PhD myself, it's obvious that this PhD is chasing grant dollars and not scientific knowledge. She has failed to ask the basic question of "What problem does CWD present to a population that would warrant a management strategy?" CWD can kill deer, but then again so do cars. Do cars kill more deer than CWD? Right now nobody knows. The project should be aimed at "Does CWD present a significant enough threat to a population? If so, what kind of threat, can the threat even be managed, and then present plausible strategies to deal with said threat. None of this requires a survey of the public. This person is putting the cart before the horse IMO. This survey is aimed to find out how much regulatory burden the public will put up with.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
From the University of Michigan letter,

"We highly value your input as it helps conduct the best research, draw appropriate conclusions, and provide management recommendations on how to best manage Chronic Wasting Disease on private property. At this time your state wildlife agency may not currently use the CWD management strategies we are assessing, but your responses are essential to understand their future management potential."

ND Game and Fish only has jurisdiction over method of take. In Michigan baiting/feeding wildlife on private property is banned. If deer can access your bird feeder, you can be fined.

Trying not to read into more than what is here, but .......

"At this time your state wildlife agency may not currently use the CWD management strategies we are assessing,"

Someone needs to post the survey.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The survey centered around various techniques and conditions preferences a given landowner would allow to reduce the number of deer on their property. Recreational hunting vs govt sharpshooters, pay for kill options (state and/or fed and up to $150 a deer), multiple deer tags for recreational hunters, etc. Those who received the surveys and whose answers to the questions they wanted to ask, are landowners of at least 3 (or was it 5?) acres.

They offered a $10 Amazon gift card for doing the survey. I exited without signing up for the gift card.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
it's more of an opt in study than it is a survey

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Using 3 acres for the landowner threshold confirms the "researchers" have zero understanding of the landscape in ND.

They will compile bad data, draw flawed conclusions, and their shoddy work will be used to justify terrible policy.
Yep!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Using 3 acres for the landowner threshold confirms the "researchers" have zero understanding of the landscape in ND.

They will compile bad data, draw flawed conclusions, and their shoddy work will be used to justify terrible policy.

Since rural developments constitute a goodly share of the complaints about too many deer, I would respectfully disagree.

Don't worry, they segregated landowners into different categories based on the amount of land they own.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
On a side note, I find it amazing at how upset people can get about something they haven't even seen.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Since rural developments constitute a goodly share of the complaints about too many deer, I would respectfully disagree.

Don't worry, they segregated landowners into different categories based on the amount of land they own.
As a hunter though this is what concerns me. People that move to the edge of town then complain about deer eating their hostas should not be key influencers in this discussion.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a hunter though this is what concerns me. People that move to the edge of town then complain about deer eating their hostas should not be key influencers in this discussion.
While I have similar disdain for those who move somewhere, only to want to change it into what they were moving away from in the first place, they are still ND residents and their input is not without value.

The survey isn't focused on how to keep deer populations at acceptable levels in those developments with 2-4 acre lots. The survey has a CWD header, but the actual questions are/were applicable to removal of deer for any reason for any size area.

Last edited:

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The survey centered around various techniques and conditions preferences a given landowner would allow to reduce the number of deer on their property. Recreational hunting vs govt sharpshooters, pay for kill options (state and/or fed and up to $150 a deer), multiple deer tags for recreational hunters, etc. Those who received the surveys and whose answers to the questions they wanted to ask are landowners of at least 3 (or was it 5?) acres.

They offered a $10 Amazon gift card for doing the survey. I exited without signing up for the gift card.
Is lead poisoning an acceptable removable method?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is to me, but if you are only on a 3 acre lot, your neighbors might have some issues with you flinging lead around.
If you are on a 3 acre lot and flinging lead around it is a pretty good chance the neighbor will be leaving you alone.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is one of those involved in the study, we now know where she stands politically

Karen Clark

Senior Project Manager
Office for Survey Research
Institute for Public Policy and Social Research
Michigan State University
clarkk@msu.edu

“Fight for the things you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you.”
-- Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88