Do you use a sun shade on your riflescope?

Hammer

Hey all,

I just picked up a Vortex Viper 4-16x50mm scope and it came with a 4" sun shade. I've never used one before. Do you guys use them? I get that they help with rain/dust etc. But am wondering how they perform in low light situations? Would it be better to remove it during those times or do you just put it on and forget about it?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I currently have a 12" Leupold sun-shade. It's made up of several sun-shades I have but don't use screwed together. If I rounded up all my sun-shades I probably have a dozen or so, but, none of them are actually afixed to a scope that's actually mounted on a rifle.

Butler Creek flip-covers are far more effective @ keeping your lenses clean. The only reason to go Tenebraex for lens covers is if you have a bbl/scope clearance problem w/Butler Creeks. Then you mount the Tenebraex to open sideways and cut away the bottom to add clearance, lastly, electrical-tape the cover to the mount. I have one Tenebraex mounted on a Kimber Montana 84L where the clearance between the scope bell and bbl shank don't allow for a Butler Creek cover. I have it mounted to swing open to the Starboard side completely out of my off-eye line of sight. Aadland Engineering (Aadmount) flip covers while certainly stout, are LOUD IME. Friend bought a couple sets of Aadmount and after trying them a few times I decided I didn't want/need them.

If you're shooting higher volume and are wanting to mitigate bbl mirage I'd go this route:

https://criterionbarrels.com/media/build-your-own-mirage-shield-for-less-than-a-buck/?v=7516fd43adaa

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I carry a four inch. Got shafted at sunrise in Montana when a nice muledeer headed east nearly in line with the sun. All I coukd see was glare. When the sun gets on the horizon screw it on.

Hammer

Kentucky Windage.... do you notice any reduction in light gathering with it on in the early am or at last light?

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven’t done a comparison, but I’ve never ran out of light gathering light early or late in the day to where I couldn’t make a shot during legal shooting hours

- - - Updated - - -

In your OP, you said it was part of the package. I would try it out and produce your own results. I don’t own anything vortex.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have them on a few rifles. Aside from keeping the sun off your glass, they can also be good for keeping light snow and rain off the objective (as long as the rifle is positioned horizontally). I run flip caps too, but like to have them open when sitting on a coyote stand.
About the only time I take the sunshade off is if I'm hunting coyotes in the moonlight.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kentucky Windage.... do you notice any reduction in light gathering with it on in the early am or at last light?
I think I see better because it reduces any flare at all. Years ago I bought this piece of soft rubber tubing that was sort of accordion like so it collapsed with recoil. It slips on the back of your scope and keeps glare from your eyes. It's tough to use with glasses on, but it's unbelievable how much better you see in low light situations. Now if I have a square yard of black cloth that when shooting prone I drop over my head and back of the scope. I keep thinking I should sew a black Polar Fleece tube that I could extend from a hooded sweat shirt to back of my scope. Reducing light entering the eye from the side sure helps.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I always thought Sunsetter should do scopes.

Z

- - - Updated - - -

images

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 43