Does anyone volunteer?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did it for six years. Then I moved to Fargo and haven't been able to join back up. Tried to get in with a local group, but never would get calls returned. Finally gave up.

Got a pretty nice vest and Buck knife out of the deal, though. It was a lot of fun, too. I liked teaching the kids and see the lightbulbs start flickering on.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes I do. I have learned there are alot of opinions out there and alot of people who like to criticize, but few take the initiative to join in and help. Can't please them all!

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did it for a couple years a long time ago. I highly recommend it. Plenty of females and adults taking hunter's ed courses, which I think is encouraging.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hell no I don't volunteer. I want people giving me free stuff. What do you think this is 1985.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad has been teaching the class for almost 20 years I think. I've been meaning to start volunteering as well but life sure gets in the way.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started helping with the fur harvesters class last year. Like Bed Wetter said, there are a lot of moms taking their kids to these classes.

newlydean

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started teaching hunter safety 16 years ago and still love doing it today. The most enjoyable part is that most every kid is excited to come to every class and learn. I would highly recommend it to anyone thinking about doing it.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never done the formal instructor thing, but sure do get lots of kids out for OJT when they're finished. My hats off to you guys that wear the vests and do the book learnin' stuff though!!! Good Stuff!!!

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started helping with the fur harvesters class last year. Like Bed Wetter said, there are a lot of moms taking their kids to these classes.

I took this class a couple of years ago. It was a lot of fun. Even recommend it for folks that have no interest in trapping.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I took this class a couple of years ago. It was a lot of fun. Even recommend it for folks that have no interest in trapping.

I agree, there are a lot of people who take it but have no intention of ever setting a trap. But they learn a lot about animal behavior and things to look for when they are out hunting with their dogs.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
i volunteer roughly a third of my wages to those who dont have the means or motivation neccessary to do things for themselves. the rest of of my time is spent teaching my kids to be self-suffucient. all kidding aside i envy u guys who have the time to teach the next generation. when my kids get a little older id like to volunteer in the sports or outdoors world again. ive got some killer 4-4 defensive schemes for the right group of smashmouth kids.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too volunteer quite a bit for the local Chamber of commerce, my church, my kids sports, and a few other organizations that I am involved in, however not for the GNF.

I maybe should start, as I just sat through 16 hours with my 2 kids a couple months back. However, I am not a big fan of trying to maintain order with other peoples children

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I already volunteer for a couple other things. March was extremely busy and I put in 39hrs of volunteer time outside of my time at work. That's plenty for this guy. Won't be much of a problem reaching 100hrs by the end of 2016, I'm sure.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm an AZ GFD Hunter Ed Instructor, Archery Instructor, Youth Shotgun Instructor, Muzzleloading Instructor and a state certified Rangemaster.

I'm also an Engineer for my local VFD.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have done nothing with hunter ed, but I worked with Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts for 19 years. Two of the dozen merit badges covered firearms and archery.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
We need more that's for sure. There just isn't enough flexibility in course locations. If I wasn't such a great ADHD person, I'd get in there myself. I'm not sure we'd really get anything done though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 39
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 13