Hearing aids

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm wondering if brand name are any better that the generic ones ? Also does anyone know of a good and reputable Audiologist in Fargo or GF that they have had good results with ? I'm hoping the new ones that you pair with a phone and adjust are way better than the old ones.
I paid $ 1200 for a Miracle ear back in the 80's that was supposedly top of the line back then but I was always working around loud equipment and I couldn't get used to having it in. I tried it recently but it's old technology compared to the new ones and not worth fiddling with. It's one of those things that's easy to put off but Iv'e been putting it off long enough and I have a heck of a time hearing the Grandkids.

Airwolf1972

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got mine from Heartland Hearing Profesionals in Fargo. They have come a long way since my last pair from Minnesota Hearing Aid Company which closed a number of years ago. My old pair were 8-10 years old or so. I'll warn you now though they ain't cheap..... but what do you do????

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
I dont wear them YET, but a lot of people I talk to say Costco and Sams have great aids also for a LOT less money , maybe worth checking out

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
I have a buddy whose time served in the military caused his hearing issues. The VA provided a brand called Phonak and he has nothing but good to say about them. I'm considering giving them a try with my tinnitus issues from years of hunting and work in extremely loud environments.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been partial deaf since birth, had just one aid for the most part of my life, now wear two.
Technology is a game changer for sure, I have the phonak audeo P50 they are 2 yrs old and the right one been giving me trouble since I got them, they are good but...damn...the smaller the electronics the more trouble you going to have. i got warrantee coverage and glad I did, so far I"ve replaced the guts in the right aid along with two receivers on that aid, Nice that they stream your calls to your aids like ear buds, don't even have to put the phone to the ear lol. I have the rechargeable version, you can get the battery style but you have to carry batteries around.
Spendy...yes about 4,000 for the pair.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hearing aids should be covered by insurance. Instead it's a privilege to be able to afford to hear for the old folks.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My ENT Docter keeps telling me to get hearing aids. Wants me to have test and such. Insurance does not cover and with my health issues and age F--K it. I can hear the wife just fine and most of my male friends with the deeper voices. Its the soft speaking people that I cannot hear. I am not spending a forth of my ss income for a year on hearing aids. My doctor needs them more than me cause we go through this every time I see him and he just DONT HEAR. Guess when you make 6 or 7 figure income hearing aids are cheap. Have to see him tomorrow and think I will wear my hunting muffs just to piss him off. LB

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check your insurance you might be surprised what they do cover. I have Medicare and Blue Cross and I haven't paid anything for my hearing aids. This includes many visits to fine tune the hearing aids.

I'm not a f****** insurance salesman either.

Don't get those cheap ones that you jam in your ears you won't wear them . Eargo style.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hell dads last pair was around $14,000 he had tried all brands most of his life being sheetmetal worker and did not have much good to say about any. Hope I never have to have them. Good luck all.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hearing,eye sight....old age joint issues .

I always get a good laugh walking into our gun range club house,old timers yelling at each other,whether deaf or forgetting to remove ear plugs,every other word is "what" or "huh?"

Im in the same boat as LB,soft talkers....ill sit on my checkbook for as long as i can...eye balling "nano aids" $299 pair,juries out for now.

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
37 years old and not quite to the hearing aid point yet, but my audiologist I just visited said if I hadn't come in, and if I don't do something about it now, it wouldn't have been very long and I would have needed them. I started my venture as I was looking for a comfortable pair of in-ear shooters protection as the <$500 value ones I had been endlessly wasting my money on always had a trait I didn't care for. During my exam (Alliance Center For Hearing, Bismarck A+++), we talked about the options from Sound Gear that they have had great luck with and I ended up purchasing the Phantom devices that are placed into a custom molded earpiece with a direct fit to my ear. Man, what a difference, not only do I like wearing them now due to comfort, but the upgraded quality microphone doesn't give my goose calls a tinny sound and I can hear more of the things going on around me with my friends. Its crazy to know what I have been missing out on all these years. I did have to pay nearly full price for these (discounted through the audiologist) but they did qualify under my HSA so I was able to use those funds to do it. Hopefully this endeavor can keep me out of the hearing aids until I'm 50+.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check your insurance you might be surprised what they do cover. I have Medicare and Blue Cross and I haven't paid anything for my hearing aids. This includes many visits to fine tune the hearing aids.

I'm not a f****** insurance salesman either.

Don't get those cheap ones that you jam in your ears you won't wear them . Eargo style.
As a 26 year licensed insurance salesman, I totally agree.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hell dads last pair was around $14,000 he had tried all brands most of his life being sheetmetal worker and did not have much good to say about any. Hope I never have to have them. Good luck all.

Those days are over , or at least I hope so. The FDA made the industry more competive when they changed the law so starting a year ago you can buy them through mail order or over the counter. I see Costco has hearing center with audiologists and good prices. I'll see what comes up with this topic but if nothing else I'll set up an appointment with them. They sell Phillip's , Jabra and Rexton brands so if anyone has tried or heard about those I'd like to hear . (no pun intended) they seem to have good online reviews . I have an insurance allowance of $ 2500 and costco price is $ 1500-1600 and I only need 1 so it's time to do it now.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lost my last pair of hearing aids around 6-7 years ago.
Told my bride I won't be paying for another set again.
I am almost deaf in my left ear and my right ear is around 50% or so.
Checked with our Medicare on coverage and they said no dice. We have Blue Cross as a secondary and if Medicare doesn't cover any of it, they won't either.
So totally out of luck I guess.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Checked with our Medicare on coverage and they said no dice. We have Blue Cross as a secondary and if Medicare doesn't cover any of it, they won't either.

I'd double check with Blue cross just incase your policy has a hearing aid allowance. I'm going to call my BCBS # and confirm what their website says about our policy's hearing aid allowance. There is no mention about them being secondary provider or any indication that they won't pay. If not then it's straight up false advertising.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
37 years old and not quite to the hearing aid point yet, but my audiologist I just visited said if I hadn't come in, and if I don't do something about it now, it wouldn't have been very long and I would have needed them. I started my venture as I was looking for a comfortable pair of in-ear shooters protection as the <$500 value ones I had been endlessly wasting my money on always had a trait I didn't care for. During my exam (Alliance Center For Hearing, Bismarck A+++), we talked about the options from Sound Gear that they have had great luck with and I ended up purchasing the Phantom devices that are placed into a custom molded earpiece with a direct fit to my ear. Man, what a difference, not only do I like wearing them now due to comfort, but the upgraded quality microphone doesn't give my goose calls a tinny sound and I can hear more of the things going on around me with my friends. Its crazy to know what I have been missing out on all these years. I did have to pay nearly full price for these (discounted through the audiologist) but they did qualify under my HSA so I was able to use those funds to do it. Hopefully this endeavor can keep me out of the hearing aids until I'm 50+.
How much did those end up costing you?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

I called BCBS and they confirmed that if your plan has hearing aid coverage they pay even though they are the secondary ins. If still working BCBS is primary and if retired they are secondary. The only provision is they won't pay for OTC or mail order must see an audiologist and get prescription ones. The policy holder pays the bill and then send receipt to BCBS for reimbursement.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84