Dog food ?

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
we have feed our last 2 labs Iams and limit their table food, always had good coats, and no real issues that could be food related. the new pup came eating something else I think Pro Plan, so when she gets to year we will try and get her on Iams too, I think the most important thing is to keep it regular and not mix it up too much, have had to do a couple of GI resets and they are not fun

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unless your vet recommends grain free food for allergies I would stay away from it. Both Casselton and Missouri Valley vet clinics have seen a alarming trend of dogs with early heart failure. This is a hot subject with many. There is still no definitive cause but many dogs were being fed grain free foods.

There is a Facebook group of nearly 50000 people including many veterinarians that has lots of information on canine dilated cardiomyopathy. Google it. Lots of information out there.
Ask your vet.

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Purina dog chow has worked out for me and thankful for that because I really don't want to spend $40+ on a bag of dog food

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unless your vet recommends grain free food for allergies I would stay away from it. Both Casselton and Missouri Valley vet clinics have seen a alarming trend of dogs with early heart failure. This is a hot subject with many. There is still no definitive cause but many dogs were being fed grain free foods.

There is a Facebook group of nearly 50000 people including many veterinarians that has lots of information on canine dilated cardiomyopathy. Google it. Lots of information out there.
Ask your vet.

Yes, recommended by vet in Casselton for our situation. Should've mentioned "grain free", big unintentional omission on my part. Just wanted to point out that there are brand name foods available generically. Thanks for clarifying!

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Purina Pro Plan for my 7 YO GSP. Good stuff so far.

WT2121

Founding Member
Founding Member
Friend suggested Loyall by Nutrena. Runnings has it. His yellow lab was having stool and frequency problems. Vet recommended to him and it worked. Same problem with my GWP. Loyall solved her problem as well. Continued to use it until her kidneys failed. She was a month from 14 years old. Used it about 6 years. Over the years started with IAMS then Purina and Science Diet. Loyall I believe was the best. My opinion is dogs are different. Use a quality dog food and try brands until you find one that works. Most vets sell Science Diet. Loyall has many to choose from. The Senior variety worked well as she aged and maintained a healthy weight. Would mix it up with another variety at times spoiling her.

Smuscha

Springer eats diamond lamb and rice. Have tried rachel Ray lamb and rice (was given a small bag) and it ran right through her, also tried blue buffalo and wouldn’t touch that stuff.

samwell7mm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our 10 month old GSP started on Diamond regular brand large breed puppy that was chicken based but had some pretty potent gas and it also went right through him. Also had some skin issues. Switched to Diamond Naturals large breed puppy and it is lamb based and it has really made improvements. Any chicken based food or treats it seems cause stinky farts and large not normal looking poops.

nybs

Honored Member
I also give nutrisource to my lab. Large breed puppy when young then large breed adult. Have chicken or lamb and I’ve always done chicken...he’s been a regular dog and seems to like it. They also have/had a ‘high performance’ line that had higher fat content for the more active dogs like during hunting season but mine never seemed to lack energy or lose weight with the regular line. Gold label foods in Bismarck and maybe other places do a punch card for 10th bag free. Cam also get at menards and do 11% off when sale is happening...

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been feeding my lab who turns 11 next month Blue Life Protection Formula - Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe for a couple years now and have had no issues. He would eat anything I put in front of him though. Has maintained a healthy weight and no problem with stools. I also have been giving him VetIQ Hip and Joint treats since he was 6 years old and he has had no joint issues what so ever. Still acts like a pup most of the time.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My dog has eaten dead animals, a football, a handful of tennis balls, a couple books, a spool of fishing line, and a few dryer sheets. What he gets for supper seems unimportant after seeing what this dum dum will eat

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Purina pro plan chicken and rice buy it from menards when they have the 11% rebate

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88