Dog urine killing yard?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
So this winter we didn't have much snow and I had my dog and an extra one doing their usual business. My grass got totally destroyed by urine and I attributed it to the lack of snow cover and two dogs peeing in similar spots. After much work I've got all the spots reworked and growing grass again. I'm down to one dog but in my last couple mowings I have noticed she is killing spots still. I've experienced this before with female dogs but only in the springtime. Seems like once the grass gets going it's good. I don't know if she is peeing gasoline or what but it's bad LOL.

Any suggestions or workarounds here? I like my dog and I like my yard!

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
tomato juice..... no joke it works..... give your dog 1/2 cup of tomato juice daily and it will help neutralize their pee so it won't kill your grass...

CJR

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pet smart and such have some medicine you add to their water that is supposed to change the ph of the urine to it won't burn the grass. Have never tried it but have a neighbor that swears by it. I would be a little nervous on what that's doing to their kidneys.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's the nitrogen in the urine. When the grass finally comes back, it will be darker green than the rest of the lawn. Don't fertilize the dead areas, they already have too much nitrogen. An application of gypsum can help a little, but prevention is better than any cure. The easiest prevention is heavy watering of the spot as soon as the dog has urinated, but that won't work in winter.

We don't have that problem. Our dog loves us more than the grass does. Our dog warns us of strangers at the door but the grass doesn't. The grass doesn't ever find birds for me to shoot. I like to think my wife and I have our priorities in proper order, and grass isn't high on our lists.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
use treats to encourage her to pee on a rock bed or similar non-sensitive area - lots of people succeed in this

or use a water can and pour water right where the dog pees - it will dilute and avoid the burn

I've just decided to let it buck myself - yep, I'm the guy with little tufts of dark green spots in his front yard

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Green pee, or something like that I used on my former lab.
Its a little pill looking treat that the dogs eat right up, I believe it was by weight and my fat old lab took 8 of them a day.
I picked it up at Running's for $20 a bottle, it lasts about 2 months and seemed to stop it.
My current GSP pee's in the same spot always, so I just let that one spot on the grass about 1 foot wide by 2 feet long, right next to his dog run burn up, its really out of sight and easier than trying to fix.

Try the pills they seemed to work great.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
We don't have that problem. Our dog loves us more than the grass does. Our dog warns us of strangers at the door but the grass doesn't. The grass doesn't ever find birds for me to shoot. I like to think my wife and I have our priorities in proper order, and grass isn't high on our lists.

Believe me, it isn't that big of deal. The dog will be around long after the grass will. But thanks for being a prick about it.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know if there was something simple that could be done or not. I know several people (including my neighbor) that have their dogs trained to use a certain area. I don't have a real good place for her to go. I've just been really surprised in that none of my other dogs ever had this much effect on the grass. Especially with all the rain we've had. But, I might just succumb and let the back yard be. The summer time spots seem to tough it out and green up much better than the winter spots do. They took some TLC to get going again. Thanks for the responses!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77