Dog Vests

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dog has been cut a few times on barb wire in the chest area so was thinking of getting a vest for him. What vests would you guys recommend. thanks

dsharp83

Founding Member
Founding Member
browning makes a skid plate vest i have on both my dogs .
fit good and stay and place.
i ordered them from sportsman guide
took a while to get to me though

1663947881704.png
1663947881704.png

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
that springer --- it dont need a vest. I swear to god they dont feel any pain. Form a callus on that chest. Damn vests chafe em any way.

Springer story that hunted with us --- the springer was a big male (named : "Springer" ) you have to luv the originality of the name. Anyway that blockhead would go through anything. When i say anything i mean anything. He vacuumed out every single bird. Sucker was a runner -- so its master tied a log on to a lease along with a massive chocker/with prongs. (ps i see they make rubber ends on the prongs now adays - WTF the whole word is going batty). Anyway these prongs were probably edgy and sharp. It did not phase springer -- he woiuld pull that log and go through the brush like it was soft butter.

Good huntin,

Short

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tend to like the ones that have orange up on the back. Helps with visibility of the dog.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
that springer --- it dont need a vest. I swear to god they dont feel any pain. Form a callus on that chest. Damn vests chafe em any way.

Springer story that hunted with us --- the springer was a big male (named : "Springer" ) you have to luv the originality of the name. Anyway that blockhead would go through anything. When i say anything i mean anything. He vacuumed out every single bird. Sucker was a runner -- so its master tied a log on to a lease along with a massive chocker/with prongs. (ps i see they make rubber ends on the prongs now adays - WTF the whole word is going batty). Anyway these prongs were probably edgy and sharp. It did not phase springer -- he woiuld pull that log and go through the brush like it was soft butter.

Good huntin,

Short

definitely wont disagree with you on them not feeling the pain. But the one time i didnt put a vest on my dog, i also ended up with a $450 emergency room vet bill as he sliced opened his underside like a tin can on the barbwire fence. lesson learned and dog wears vest all the time when out hunting.

this is the one i use. like that its buckles and not velcro
https://www.scheels.com/p/mendota-pet-skid-plate-dog-vest/793721-65190.html

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the folks who hunt in Deer Tick/Lyme Disease country, treat the dog vest w/Permethrin and you'll have far fewer ticks that even try to attach, the difference is astounding.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes he is a springer and will keep going and going and going regardless of cuts. But he loves the water as well and it is hard to keep him out of it. So I get worried he will get infection. Hopefully as he gets older he will smarten up about the fences. Thanks for the info guys.

grantfurness

I’ve been using the Scheel’s dog vest & it’s done a good job of keeping my pup from getting torn up from barbed wire, corn stalks etc. I like the orange so it’s easier to see her.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had a few different vests for the dogs over the years. They all have their place in hunting. Skid plates that properly fit your dog and don't chafe are good when temps are above 40 degrees, but they do tend to leave portions of the pup exposed to barbed wire. Below that in temps and a good neoprene vest is awesome, especially the velcro ones that keep snow from falling down inside the vest which will melt and then chill your dog at low temps. Best thing about the neoprene vests is that you can trim them to prevent chafing. FWIW, this is for GSPs and other short-haired pointers.

Haven't found anything yet that prevents chafing of the low-hanging fruit in a stand of tumbleweed infested CRP. That's gotta be a bummer for the dog.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am on my 4th hunting dog, 3 labs, and now a GSP, never put any booties or vests on any of them.
I hunt Western ND exclusively, and only for Pheasants. Somehow never had a situation.
Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll second the Sylmar vests. Very tough. Easy to put on. I use them on my wirehairs. Act as a little extra protection, and you can adjust the fit to mitigate chaffing.

I love orange vests, even if the cover isn't super thick. It's amazing how even the smallest sliver of blaze orange can stick out when a dog is on point in cattails, or the dense north woods where we hunt ruffed grouse.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
definitely wont disagree with you on them not feeling the pain. But the one time i didnt put a vest on my dog, i also ended up with a $450 emergency room vet bill as he sliced opened his underside like a tin can on the barbwire fence. lesson learned and dog wears vest all the time when out hunting.

this is the one i use. like that its buckles and not velcro
https://www.scheels.com/p/mendota-pet-skid-plate-dog-vest/793721-65190.html

True story -- hunting southwest of garrison -- my shorthair did the same thing. Went into to town and they had a sewing shop. Next thing i had her on the tail gait with a stick in her mouth (stick for looks as she didnt flynch at all) sewed her up with normal white thread. Threw peroxide on it and gave her some mexican antis --- she hunted all day. reaplied peroxide often and kept her on the mx biotics for a week. She healed up nice.

VoodooShaman

Sylmar mentioned above has been my go to. My Setter is an absolute 4x4. She has been cut more times than I can count wearing "protective" vests. The Slymar vest is the only one that has protected her to an acceptable level.

Fishing701

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve had good luck with cuga vests. I wouldn’t hunt my dogs without a vest.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am on my 4th hunting dog, 3 labs, and now a GSP, never put any booties or vests on any of them.
I hunt Western ND exclusively, and only for Pheasants. Somehow never had a situation.
Hope I didn't just jinx myself.
i am on my 3rd dog..i have had 2 springers and and english setter. I think labs have one key advantage in general, in that they are taller thereby reducing the amount of grasses, etc a dog runs thru each day reaching thier chest. the labs i have hunted behind are more steady lopers ,covering the same ground without the same amount energy than that of a less tall dog. Stands to reason that a lab wouldnt endure the same amount of underbelly as a dog smaller is all i am saying. Dont get me wrong..i love labs.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guiding I would use a vest latter in the season on my lab the hard crusty snow was tough on the chest some times. Don’t do that much any more but when it’s cold he wears it waterfowl hunting. Side note when your out hunting wearing a bunch of orange you can see it good but your dog can’t see you for shit. Dogs don’t see orange very well at all.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guiding I would use a vest latter in the season on my lab the hard crusty snow was tough on the chest some times. Don’t do that much any more but when it’s cold he wears it waterfowl hunting. Side note when your out hunting wearing a bunch of orange you can see it good but your dog can’t see you for shit. Dogs don’t see orange very well at all.
This is true and why a person should have a fairly decent conversation with their dog when out in the field. They have big ears to locate the sound, and if you're the sound they will know where you are at any given minute. My dogs have always gotten to the point of being able to follow my directional commands, and that rocks. I train them to the command of "over here", and they turn around...look at me...and go the direction I'm gesturing. I also love the "go around" command. It's great when you are walking a dog on a leash and need them to follow the leash back to you once they've gone the wrong way around a tree or fire hydrant.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74