Drift socks

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at getting a drift sock. Never fished with one. Any brands better than others? Also do i really need to spend the extra $25 for the float harness? Couldn't I just put some kind of float onto the webbing of the harness itself, attach a quick connect caribiner to the very end of the float and have the same thing?

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't know anybody still used those. I never liked using them. Trolling motor works better.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one, but never used it, I was always worried it would be in the way of the lines.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Float is worth it. Fish in some big wind and the trolling motor wont slow you down enough. I have used a few different brands and they all worked fine

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love drift socks when the wind is just right. Use the trolling motor for left-right movements and just float down a break line. Great way to work with the wind instead of fight against it. Then use the big motor to run back up and start all over again.

I have one of these Cabela's Advanced Angler socks for my little Alumacraft Classic Deluxe: http://www.cabelas.com/product/boat...tegory/Drift-Socks-Marker-Buoys/104308380.uts

What's nice about it is the bag that holds it stays on the sock. When it's time to pack it up, you just stuff the sock back in the bag and you're golden. It's slicker than a politician on Super Tuesday.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
if any one has one they wont to get rid of on the cheap let me know

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I carry one all the time - and never use it. Rather than try to get the wind to work out just right I just bail on drifting in the wind and try another technique.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use one alot on LOW when it is windy and I want to slow my drift down. Make sure you get one that has a separate rope/strap that goes to the back of the sock so it is much easier to retrieve.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Own two sizes and have used them both. With NoDak wind I feel you can get a better and consistent troll speed. I remember my old Triton 189 was a pig on the water and very difficult to maneuver (cable-drive bow mount & manual drive kicker in back) where you could NOT use both. That was when I bought the socks and used them quite often.

Now, I have a Skeeter 1850 and I can use my iPilot to steer left/right and my kicker is hooked to the steering wheel with separate controls and a Troll Master. No longer do I have those issues in the wind and the socks are stored away. There is a time and place for tools in the fishing world and you'll be glad you own some socks when that time comes.

It's no different that the 500 crankbait you have in duffel bags. How many of them get used every weekend during the summer, huh? ;-) You don't use them that often but YOU HAVE THEM!

:;:deadhorse

:;:stirthepot

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made my own floats with 2 carabiners a length of rope and a float off amazon think I spent $6 and made 3

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are also a very valuable tool in an emergency if you lose power out on the water in the wind.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've caught a hell of a lot of fish using a drift sock to drift on Sak. Days when you can't slow down enough to get a 1/2 oz. sinker to the bottom deploy the sock and it's game on! I would recommend having a float. Also. Remember which rope you're pulling on to bring it back into the boat. Things can get very damp and just plain difficult if you don't. Watched a few people try to just pull a sock in - doesn't work like that, pal.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good tool to have. Throw it out the front and backtroll into the wind. Ultra slow and boat control is a snap. Drifting with one by the trolling motor is asking for trouble, so if we go that way the sock is out the back of the boat with the motor on the front. Straight drift the sock is in the middle. On real windy days, I'll use 2 or 3 to slow down enough. Trolling motor batteries last much longer when you don't have to have them going all the time. Look for ones with weights and floats. They work immediately, while the ones without might take awhile to fill up and will also tangle more than the ones with weights. If you get a few, look for rubberized canvas and ALWAYS dry it out when you are done. Otherwise you will have a moldy, stank nasty mess. Have Fun!!!

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I second the Cabelas one. Deploys nicely, retrieves nicely, includes an attached bag to pack it in.
You're right, you could make the float harness yourself with a float, a length of nylon from a ratchet strap, and a carabineer.
There's always the 'poor mans drift sock' -- A five gallon pail tied to a rope. Used those before too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 72
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31