Drilling halted at Van Hook

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
thanks for the info. sometimes pays to ask and listen before criticizing. I am back to wondering, "Why shut it down now when it seems like it's nearly completed?" Don't bother, I have a pretty good idea to the answer to that question.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
there was a bit on KFYR last night that talked about halting it as well.....as of this past sunday is was still going so not sure if it has since halted or not

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sure more than one company is toying with the idea of deploying an offshore jack-up rig.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
there is no need to do that. The horizontals can pretty much cover anything under the lake they want. And I don't think that rig is going to be shut down. Just a bunch of noise for nothing I think.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your right , I hadn't looked at the maps and didn't realize there were that many legs under the lake. I wonder why in this case that extra 200 feet was so crucial ? Why would they not be a good sport about it and set the wells back 200' ?

pixel.gif

- - - Updated - - -

I tried posting the NDIC map but there are about 10 sections in the middle that haven't been drilled yet.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The company I am working for is in need of some experienced surveyors for proposed drilling pads. It's insane how big these pads are 1200x900 feet with the capacity to drill 26 wells 50 feet apart. There are hundreds of these pads being proposed for potential building if oil prices go up

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
The main issue I can see is washing out flowlines and misting fluids drift to the lake. Should not happen with competent flowback and babysitters on location; however, you can wash a choke or a 90 after flowback has been released and if you have less than stellar babysitters on, especially at night, seems 99% of issues happen then.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
As far as oil related possible problems go I don't think a drilling rig is in the the top ten. Of all the things that go wrong on a rig, having oil spilling all over the place is a rarity. I'd be more nervous about a piece of pipe flying in my direction.

I would be a lot more concerned when the completion rig moves into to do clean outs. Not sure what Slawson has for actual procedures. But it usually done underbalanced. Workover rigs can be very limited in fluid handling equipment and generally cannot just weight up for control. That and the fact they are less trained, less supervised, and very prone to put speed ahead of everything else. You would likely see pipe getting launched 50x more on a workover rig than a drilling rig.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28