Electric Vehicles

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One thing about being old. My dad had a 49 Olds which many feel was the first muscle car and he also had a number of Hudson which in the fifties were one of the top race cars.
He had a 57 Olds with the J-2 motor and a 71 Plymouth 440 375 HP which was never beaten on the street.

Then came my time in the sixties with my 426 Plymouth and all the other muscle cars.
It was the best of times. I cannot imagine a young lady wanting to jump in with me driving an EV as compared to my 65 Sport Fury or for that matter my SS Chevy.
Yes, it was the best of times. Now one can hear the hum of an electric motor versus the deep sound of an internal motor. Plus, a car back then look like a women getter. Now it looks like an old man's car. ech. Yes, they may be fast, but they look and sound like crab. db

snow2

★★★ Legendary Member
short,GM sold they're 350 v-8 blue print to the japs back in the mid 90's,carb'd engine then throttle body,still this 350 v-8 was under powered at 200hp,lacking torq for heavy loads,GM introduced the 5.3lit engine in 1999 I think,285hp,same bore n stroke as the 350,this holds true for GM's 4.3lit v-6,350 block....in 2001 GM's 5.3 wasn't doing the job as a work horse powertrain so Gm engineers used the 6lit cam to enhance the Hp and torq needed by dropping the 6lit cam in the5.3litv-8,tweaked the torq numbers way up and hp up to 355. today

now in 2023 truck engines,all is the same except GM will not offer the 6.2lit engine for now and introduced a turbo 4cyc for fuel economy,suspect the epa/feds stepped in regarding fuel economy like they did in the 80's,remember max speed limits nation wide 55mph,gas fuel .44/gal no new big block engines,

Today commercial folks in the trades that need HD trucks 3/4/1 ton,none being built except the two high end models,no work trucks....

cargo vans 3/4-1 ton no v-8 engines in 2023 for now,also no fleet pricing for ppl that sucks

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
it all sucks now snow. As i said, got young at the right time.

And my Buick Enclave is a nice car, for an old man that needs the space and comfort and no longer needs the speed, looks and sound of a cam never closing fully. Nothing like multiple carbs with all their adjustment problems versus fuel injection. Felt 6 carbs on a flathead was the cat's meow but all history. dnb-2

Never really understood Hudson rep as a race car with their 6 cyl. one barrel. Dad had a green Hornet and then a bright yellow Wasp. Remember well and he always needed to put a hood ornament on when purchase, usually a swan.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The feds will soon tap the vehicles gps for annual mileage and send them an invoice

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
EV will be nice for me. I live 160miles from I94 and 130 from I29. In the winter I might not have enough charge to get to a station.

snow2

★★★ Legendary Member
EV will be nice for me. I live 160miles from I94 and 130 from I29. In the winter I might not have enough charge to get to a station.

Your the perfect canidate for a portable gas generator you along on your commutes.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member

Your the perfect canidate for a portable gas generator you along on your commutes.

The best of both worlds - you get to stop along the highway and charge your battery AND you get to stop at a gas station for gas for your generator!

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
California, Washington and Massachusetts have made gas and diesel powered vehicles illegal to purchase by 2035. I assume more states will follow

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Make sure you don't forget your Mr. Heater, might get kinda cold at -30 below at 2 AM in the middle of no where

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
im used to jumping in a vehical and driving 600 miles in a day, electric will make this a 2-to-3-day trip epically in the winter.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wygy9lGYnf4b.jpg

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Considering the interweb is full of Chevy volt batteries, new and refurbished around $3500, I don't think Roger Dean Chevrolet is a serious consideration when replacing the battery on one.

Since a Volt is basically a glorified golf cart, did they even cost that much new?

snow2

★★★ Legendary Member
Considering the interweb is full of Chevy volt batteries, new and refurbished around $3500, I don't think Roger Dean Chevrolet is a serious consideration when replacing the battery on one.

Since a Volt is basically a glorified golf cart, did they even cost that much new?

Actually the "volt" was one of the first Ev that has a nine gal gas fuel tank for backup....The chevrolet "Bolt" is 100% electric with lithium battery,once spent these batteries cannot be refurbished...here lies a huge environmental problem down the road,these vehicle batteries are very large,infact the length is bumper to bumper.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Come on Allen, you know Lunk doesn't fact check anything he posts. You just have to assume it's regurgitated internet trash if it has his name attached to it. Most of us have given up on trying to fix this issue.........

snow2

★★★ Legendary Member
California, Washington and Massachusetts have made gas and diesel powered vehicles illegal to purchase by 2035. I assume more states will follow

"Not to purchase" not allowed to be sold in they're perspective states....what a joke,ppl will jump the border to other states to purchase gas burners,been doing it for years anyway

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member

"Not to purchase" not allowed to be sold in they're perspective states....what a joke,ppl will jump the border to other states to purchase gas burners,been doing it for years anyway

You meant what I know;:;rofl

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member

Watch those state institute a tax on gas engines that will price people out of the game.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76