Estwing Sure Split wedge

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you’re ever looking for good wood splitting wedges buy two of these and enjoy the experience. Amazing.

Worth the money!

1692660311384.jpeg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_8471.png

Trust me, these wedges are fantastic.

I’ve had a crash course in splitting huge rounds in order to haul them to the splitter.

Trees get big here. This one was over 100 yrs old.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
are you cutting for next year already?.

It’s green ash… running 20-25% moisture the day it’s felled.

It’ll be my first full winter burning wood this year.
Family stuff got in my way - I was gonna get everything felled / bucked / split by July.

I have a moisture probe and, although I don’t think I’ll need it this season, no reason I can’t burn if it falls below 20% by the time my seasoned stash runs out.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oofda, that wedge looks like a lot of work! We have been heating our new house and our domestic hot water now for 2 years with an outdoor wood boiler. That thing burns anything 25% or less. In fact the Manufacturer recommends 25% to be about as dry as you go. I'm in the process of building a badass firewood splitter. It's gonna have an autocycle valve for the push ram an adjustable wedge with a log lift for the big rounds.
20230823_191127.jpg

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_8471.png

Trust me, these wedges are fantastic.

I’ve had a crash course in splitting huge rounds in order to haul them to the splitter.

Trees get big here. This one was over 100 yrs old.
I’m just glad you’re wearing a hard hat to protect all that intelligence in the event a several thousand pound tree lands on you. You may as well start taking chances and cut more recklessly knowing you’re 100% protected………

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oofda, that wedge looks like a lot of work! We have been heating our new house and our domestic hot water now for 2 years with an outdoor wood boiler. That thing burns anything 25% or less. In fact the Manufacturer recommends 25% to be about as dry as you go. I'm in the process of building a badass firewood splitter. It's gonna have an autocycle valve for the push ram an adjustable wedge with a log lift for the big rounds.
20230823_191127.jpg
The wedges are for getting the monstrous rounds split into two for hauling up they hill to my Super Split :)

71426646849__8CEFE6AE-54CB-4AB9-A5DE-BDAF3D377CE9.jpeg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m just glad you’re wearing a hard hat to protect all that intelligence in the event a several thousand pound tree lands on you. You may as well start taking chances and cut more recklessly knowing you’re 100% protected………
Lots of dead branches (widow makers) that can come down when you hammer in felling wedges. A big branch will kill you but why not limit damage of small ones or a glancing blow?

Also - a helmet brim is useful for limiting damage in an unlikely but nasty kickback event.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s green ash… running 20-25% moisture the day it’s felled.

It’ll be my first full winter burning wood this year.
Family stuff got in my way - I was gonna get everything felled / bucked / split by July.

I have a moisture probe and, although I don’t think I’ll need it this season, no reason I can’t burn if it falls below 20% by the time my seasoned stash runs out.
ash will burn green but watch your chimney. grew up burning green ash and it does creosote your chimney bad.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
The wedges are for getting the monstrous rounds split into two for hauling up they hill to my Super Split :)

71426646849__8CEFE6AE-54CB-4AB9-A5DE-BDAF3D377CE9.jpeg
Those Super Splits are pretty slick. I've never run one myself but they look like they would be awesome in good clean wood. Ever run anything really knotty or stringy through one? If so, how does it do? I've seen some videos online of those things in use and I love the speed of them.

I'm building my big ol splitter like I am because I don't need to go small with my splits. Basically if it fits through the door of the boiler and it's not too heavy to lift, it goes through in. I have some cottonwood logs though that are like 36" across which is why I'll be putting a log lift on my splitter before it's completed.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those Super Splits are pretty slick. I've never run one myself but they look like they would be awesome in good clean wood. Ever run anything really knotty or stringy through one? If so, how does it do? I've seen some videos online of those things in use and I love the speed of them.

I'm building my big ol splitter like I am because I don't need to go small with my splits. Basically if it fits through the door of the boiler and it's not too heavy to lift, it goes through in. I have some cottonwood logs though that are like 36" across which is why I'll be putting a log lift on my splitter before it's completed.
Some of these rounds are big (>24') but not cottonwood. My stove needs 18" logs.

These "yard ash" which are known for stringiness and knots because they get lots of wind and sun. Some rounds take multiple whacks or get stuck in the SS but most split readily like ash normally does. It's not a "split anything" splitter - it excels at speed / production when splitting is easy to modestly tough. It's actually quite fun when they don't get stuck.

No way I'd try elm. I tried that manually one time - Ha ha.

Here's my lift. : )

2023-07-07 18.11.48.jpg

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
idk why but this thread makes me want to fire the chainsaw and log splitter up again... and i remember after the last go around i told myself i was dong cutting and splitting wood for a long a$$ time. lol

pic of the last go around i did. got enough fire wood for awhile.

wood.jpg

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
@guywhofishes , Nice looking wood shed. Any cats around to keep the mice under control. Them little bastards sure love to burrow into the wood piles.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
@guywhofishes , Nice looking wood shed. Any cats around to keep the mice under control. Them little bastards sure love to burrow into the wood piles.
Right?...

We've had minor league wood piles in the past and you are correct. We know we're going to be tortured with both little red squirrels and mice. That's why the wood shed's not up against the house (where it would have been handier to access).

Neighbor's cats (4 or 5) are over here quite often.

I figure a few traps (including the antifreeze variety) is all we can do. We're just going to occasionally run into a nest or two. 🤮

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 68
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 27