.177 air rifle

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been looking at buying an air rifle and don't want to spend a bunch of money on one. So far I am split between the Crossman F4 and Gamo Shadow Whisper. Does anyone have any experience with either of these guns? Or are their any other ones around the $100 range I should be looking at?

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I bought the whisper a few years ago,somebeech makes a loud "whack" sound,so I shit canned this pellet rifle and loaded up on .22 LR quiet loads,@ 710fps very little sound and the 44grHP's did a number on my critters compared to the 8r .177 pellets,wood chucks are tough some beechs they scoft at me busting they're asses with .177 pellets,but they did limp away.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks, Snow. I might have to do that since I do love shooting the Henry.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks, Snow. I might have to do that since I do love shooting the Henry.

FYI,

these quiet loads won't cycle in a semi,not enough horsepower.Further iffin you can find these "cci" quiet loads in your area,I strongly suggest HP rounds.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive yet to find a springer I enjoy shooting. If you are serious about air guns Id suggest looking at PCP's, but you arent going to find one for $100, subsonic 22lr out of a bolt action is a good alternative

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Tell ya what,I had my sights set on the ruger 10-22 heavy barrel with built in suppressor now that suppressors are legal in minn,sure is a dandy .22,but my cheap ass decided to go quiet loads and hang on to my $1200's they wanted for the ruger,not to mention being on the ATF radar for having a suppressed rifle.Not sure about other states but minnesota gun laws suck.

Further depending on what your motive is for a critter rifle,cci also offers "ultra/sub sonic" round,little more horse power than quiet loads but under 1140fps sound barrier,so no .22lr crack.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive yet to find a springer I enjoy shooting. If you are serious about air guns Id suggest looking at PCP's, but you arent going to find one for $100, subsonic 22lr out of a bolt action is a good alternative

Gee Lycan,thanx for the headsup,never herd of PCP air rifles,not that I would purchase one but was curious,up to $2k for top of the line 30 shots on one air fill,serious looking air rifles,bet they are loud as well like a springer.

Last edited:

Grumps

Pyramyd Air has what I consider to be a great site for air weapons. Lots of details and reviews.

Don't know what your situation is but I live in town, next to very soft hearted vegens (no joke coming unfortunately, sad but true).

My yard was overrun with squirrels, three of which spent two weeks in our unoccupied house.

I bought a .177 Diana 34, took off one storm window, and taught my English Cocker to fetch at the sound of the gun.

The Diana's are more than you want to spend but I highly recommend them for quiet, accuracy, power, and quality.

https://www.pyramydair.com/guide/finder/

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMHO: Find a used American made Benjamin then send to Pyramid Air for refurbishment.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If my Red Ryder made in Plymouth many years ago cannot get the job done, then i need to take out my 22. db

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, Lycan is correct. Springers suck. They sell folks on velocity only applicable in energy to about 25yds and average accuracy @ 25 is 50 cent piece at best. Expect "orange" groups with common pellets and a firearm like "crack" which negates the purpose of the backyard airgun. I equate springer airguns to the orange butthole puller. I've fallen for both. If I want my butthole pulled I demand chartreuse from a local source.

- - - Updated - - -

Pard in the Hills and his dad do the "butthole pull" technique just fine with common knives. They love to razz me as a "hip splitter". Their field dressing work is art.

I don't believe being struck would do much damage @25yds if you were hit:

https://youtu.be/YYNCGZCul1Q

Last edited:

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pellet guns will be nice to have when we have to resort to eating squirrels, rabbits and neighborhood cats.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Grumps,man after my own heart....damn squrriels,dang bird feeder thieves...

back in the 2020 summer and deemed "non essential" in my work place over the course of 3 months with two boxes of .22lr quiet loads (100rds) spent a couple hours everyday sniping squrriels,like mice if you see one you have dozens,I figure my body count on these rodents to be 70 on the low end and more like 80 top end all while smoking a cigar enjoying my unemployement bennies,plus a couple bonus woodchucks.

My sniping setup killer.jpg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, Lycan is correct. Springers suck. They sell folks on velocity only applicable in energy to about 25yds and average accuracy @ 25 is 50 cent piece at best. Expect "orange" groups with common pellets and a firearm like "crack" which negates the purpose of the backyard airgun. I equate springer airguns to the orange butthole puller. I've fallen for both. If I want my butthole pulled I demand chartreuse from a local source.

- - - Updated - - -

Pard in the Hills and his dad do the "butthole pull" technique just fine with common knives. They love to razz me as a "hip splitter". Their field dressing work is art.

I don't believe being struck would do much damage @25yds if you were hit:

https://youtu.be/YYNCGZCul1Q

Gutting a deer is one of the parts of the hunt that separates the boys from the men. Jeff would put a glove up to his arm pit on, I was already done gutting by the time he prepared himself for the activity.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, also: I know what I say: I spent a fair amount of jack and used all the internet bullshit "bow technique" and premium pellets trying to achieve consistency. I'm a "good shot" from the bench and will concede the springer sites gave me improvement. I sold the Diana at a yard sale and put the scope on my .22 for a bit. Now it's adorned with a Redfield without parallax adjustment--that's turning out less than satisfactory: Not horrible but miss the Tasco 4X.

I got my best groups with RWS 9.5grn SuperMags: Wadcutters heavy enough to stay subsonic.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When it comes to deer hunting when I used to hunt with a group I was known as doc. Never had one survive or get better though. I field dressed every deer because I could not stand watching how some did it, and it helped keep the hands warm.

- - - Updated - - -

LB

GSP22366

I went with a .22 caliber air rifle to stay subsonic and to help keep the pellet more stable in flight. OK killing power at 25 yds for small critters and still more safe shooting around neighbourhood. Extra speed of .177 doesn't make up for more mass of .22 .

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
A good tuned springer like a HW Weihrauch (There are others but hw is my favorite) doesnt suck. With a good pellet they will shoot and if you do a lot of shooting the pellet price compared to 22 shells will pay for itself. Above your price but just thought I would have to say all springers dont suck. Stay below 1000 ft per second and a good pellet!

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I am going to purchase one and place a little better scope on it. Pellet's are a lot cheaper than 22 shells and there's a lot of gophers that will need to be taken out as soon as it warms up.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
A good tuned springer like a HW Weihrauch (There are others but hw is my favorite) doesnt suck. With a good pellet they will shoot and if you do a lot of shooting the pellet price compared to 22 shells will pay for itself. Above your price but just thought I would have to say all springers dont suck. Stay below 1000 ft per second and a good pellet!

I will concede your extremely fine point and welcome a rare posting. How much does this rifle weigh? My Diana 34 was a finely crafted 57.4 foot long device:) which weighed as much as a deer rifle and kicked like a .410 (no shit).

Speaking of deer rifles: One fine hotassed day in GA I was shooting the new above gun in near direct sunlight in the backyard at a discarded realtor's sign (this was during my internet infancy.) I was using letters @25 for a target. The second shot of the second "group" dieseled and cracked like a .22/250 in the genteel suburban development. It rang my ears for a couple hours. The hole in the sign was an oval and a foot right/low. Fuck--it was loud. Perhaps some gas escaped the breech. I've watched vids with intentional dieseling and none compare. This incident inspired me to "internet" springer airguns and my above posts.

Per the OP IMHO: .22 CB (29gr Short/Long no velocity difference? 710fps)/Quiet (40grn--710fps?) are easier to shoot with limited noise and superior "killing power". They also are a MAJOR ricochet hazard with the "whine" much louder than the report. Their added mass and low noise make these rds very dangerous and due extreme respect IMO.

The OP would be better off buying a Chinese Powerline 880 from WalMart if an airgun is completely necessary: IMHE/O.

cache.php

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11