Favorite Braided Fishing Line

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've used spiderwire since the late 90s. Used to use spiderwire fusion and now the braid. I've used powerpro also. Both are good.

Has anyone had trouble with braid ice fishing where it shows up on your flasher? I used braid on my northern jigging rod and it would show up on the flasher screen unless I turned the gain down so far I could hardly see my daredevil on the screen. I do have an ice braid on one of my walleye jigging rods that doesn't have that problem.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The braid in absorbing water or collecting water bubbles perhaps
I have watched videos on the garmin livescope in use and even those screens show that you can see the line as it descends into the water column.

Last edited:

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Another thing i wanted to inquire on is, does anyone else fill their open face reels with cheap line first before they spool with their go to. When you buy a spool of braided, nanotech, or monotex there is simply not enough line on a roll to adequately spool a reel.
Start with 6 or 8 # mono backing on the spool to save on more expensive braid. Small piece of duct tape over the knot and loop on spool.

After joining the braid, position the union knot at the top or bottom of the spool so it doesn't snag if you get spooled for some reason.

Buy the 1500 yd spools of powerpro. Unit cost is lower and far less waste. Measure how much line is on one full rotation of the reel. Count reel turns as you fill the spool and you'll know how much you used. Keep a running total of approximately how much remains on the spool of braid by writing on the sticker on the spool.

Last edited:

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Has anyone had trouble with braid ice fishing where it shows up on your flasher? I used braid on my northern jigging rod and it would show up on the flasher screen unless I turned the gain down so far I could hardly see my daredevil on the screen. I do have an ice braid on one of my walleye jigging rods that doesn't have that problem.
No issues for me with the 5# powerpro and vexilar.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Laugh at me all you want but I have taken a liking to the kastking superpower line. I haven't noticed any issues compared to PowerPoint and 832 and it's a hell of a lot cheaper. I use 10 pound on my jigging and bobber rods in the summer and 6 for walleye and perch rigs in the winter

Only problem I have had is getting bobberstops to stay in place while reeling in a fish without letting up on it when I see the stop getting to the rod tip

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Laugh at me all you want but I have taken a liking to the kastking superpower line. I haven't noticed any issues compared to PowerPoint and 832 and it's a hell of a lot cheaper. I use 10 pound on my jigging and bobber rods in the summer and 6 for walleye and perch rigs in the winter

Only problem I have had is getting bobberstops to stay in place while reeling in a fish without letting up on it when I see the stop getting to the rod tip
Before you cinch down the knot wet it down with some saliva, if that doesn't work just a little dab of superglue will work to. Another thing that I posted earlier on this thread about the line shrinking after it get wet which will also make you bobber stopper become loose. JMTC

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Start with 6 or 8 # mono backing on the spool to save on more expensive braid. Small piece of duct tape over the knot and loop on spool.

After joining the braid, position the union knot at the top of bottom of the spool so it doesn't snag if you get spooled for some reason.

Buy the 1500 yd spools of powerpro. Unit cost is lower and far less waste. Measure how much line is on one full rotation of the reel. Count reel turns as you fill the spool and you'll know how much you used. Keep a running total of approximately how much remains on the spool of braid by writing on the sticker on the spool.
Same with the power pro in #8 red since the dye will fade I will pull out about 150 feet and respool with fresh line

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am clearly in the minority on this and have been for a number of years every time this topic comes up. but, i much prefer fireline. i am probably missing something important.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another thing i wanted to inquire on is, does anyone else fill their open face reels with cheap line first before they spool with their go to. When you buy a spool of braided, nanotech, or monotex there is simply not enough line on a roll to adequately spool a reel.
My reels are small enough that 150 yards fills them up perfect with 30 size reels and 10# power pro. Instead of respooling I just pull out the worn line and cut it off. 150 yards lasts me awhile.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Berkeley NanofiI, don’t use it for heavy bottom work with bouncers or pulling crank baits but I like low visibility, green. Doesn’t ice up, cast a mile, super thin, probably have at least six spinning rigs with that on. It also has a slight stiffness and does not loop. 90% of my fishing in open water is pitching baits. You do need to use a double Palomar, very easy to tie.
I think if folks used the same rod and reel and put any other line against it when casting they would be convinced. It does fray occasionally, but I check knots and clip and re-tie
You might want to buy what's out there, because Berkeley quit making Nanofil. It's also what I like on my jigging and pitching rods.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
Did they change the formula from the original release? I had nothing but issues with super slick when I first tried it. Wouldn’t use the stuff even if free!
I think the stuff I use is different than the original.

I haven’t had any issues casting cranks. Jigging and trolling bouncers are a non-issue.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just got the gliss 8 and nanofill in 6. enough to compare somewhat. I wish they had 6.
Decent reviews from Tackle wharehouse

Last edited:

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What did you rig your jigging rod with? Mono?
Yes! The stretch in the mono drastically helps to keep the fish hooked, especially if i'm ripping jiggin' raps. I still tie a fluoro leader directly to the mono, just like I do on all my braided rods.

I should also mention that if I'd be jiggin with a ML rod then I'd probably still be running braid, but I like the MED for heavier baits like jiggin raps and just adapted the line to use it for all jigging/pitching applications. So far, so good.... cuz I'm cheap ;)

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or you fill em up and when you switch lines reel it on another reel with a little bit of mono to back. Twice the use

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
So i normally buy 30lb 20lb power pro ---- i found out last summer going back to bass fishing - power is so so on knots and lots of casts. I will still leader off on some of it --- but for the heavy cover i need to go heavier line

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76