favorite semi auto shotgun

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am looking to add another shot gun this fall. I am looking at spending around the $1500 mark, and hunt pheasants primarily.

What to you upland hunters prefer for brand, and length.

I am looking at 12 gauge, semi, and likely a wood stock, they just feel better in my hands.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am also in the market. I have been shooting an SX3 since 08 and have loved it. I grew up shooting A5's and am considering going with the new A5. Anyone pulled the trigger on the new browning? I may just go with another sx3. If only I could buy them all.........!

I prefer the swing of the sx3, maxus, a5 to that of the benelli's/berettas.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find and shoot an M2. I am really happy I bought my M2 last year. I just love it. I bought the black 20g (very light weight) almost exclusively for doves/pheasants. A swell guy on FBO let me borrow his for a week to try out. It has a very high rib with a "wide open view" that you have to see to understand/appreciate what I mean.

One advantage of being on a skeet/trap league team (even one with zero competitive drive like ours) is that you get to see/handle/shoot a lot of guns. Some feel great to one guy - the absolute worst to another.

Is there a range in Dickinson? I can't recall from 20 years ago when I lived there.

Maybe you have a local "Horsager" who has - or can get - a certain guns for you to try?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've shot the Vinci and it is a sweet gun but I'm having a hard time dropping 1800 on a shotgun. I'm going to go with one of the brownings but haven't decided yet.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find and shoot an M2. I am really happy I bought my M2 last year. I just love it. I bought the black 20g (very light weight) almost exclusively for doves/pheasants. A swell guy on FBO let me borrow his for a week to try out. It has a very high rib with a "wide open view" that you have to see to understand/appreciate what I mean.

One advantage of being on a skeet/trap league team (even one with zero competitive drive like ours) is that you get to see/handle/shoot a lot of guns. Some feel great to one guy - the absolute worst to another.

Is there a range in Dickinson? I can't recall from 20 years ago when I lived there.

Maybe you have a local "Horsager" who has - or can get - a certain guns for you to try?

i second these sentiments. But I've gotta say, when your $300 semi-auto goes down and you start smokin' clays with a much nicer borrowed gun, it's no fun to start looking at the cost of your new favorite model.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wood? don't rule out the beretta A400 IN 3" I switched from benelli two years ago to the A400 xtreme which replaced the extrema2,damn nice shortgun and if your recoil sensitive you'll love the recoil system this shotgun has,very soft shooting.

Benelli SBE2 is available in wood and also the all new Etho with a new recoil dampener installed in the stock mush like the beretta A400,just remember if your waterfowling the wood stock and forend will swell when she gets wet.

Thumbs down on the new browning A-5,nothin like the old Belgium A-5 auto mag,that was a great shotgun duck/goose killin machine.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

Yes we have a trap club, the president of it lives just down the street from me. I have a buddy with more guns than Scheels, that I can pretty much test any gun you guys suggest, but he has real expensive taste, so I hate to get started shooting a gun that is triple my budget.

I have a couple kids that are getting to that age, so I need to start adding now.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
as Snow said a Beretta. I've had Brownings and they were nice but nothing compared to the Beretta A400.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last year I broke down and bought a montefeltro benelli great gun its ported and fit me perfect. Not to light or heavy.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Love my M2. My son also loves it now I am in the market for another. One of the nicest swinging shotguns I have found.

LITREOFCOLA

Founding Member
Founding Member
After many years, and many shotguns, I finally found the perfect gun for me, a Benelli Ultralight 12 Ga. 26". I love everything about this gun, wish I would have bought a Benelli years ago!

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
anyone here use a beretta Urika AL391? been in the market for a new(to me) shotgun and I see one of these on bisman for $600. I like the looks of this gun, just curious as to the performance and reliability. anyone got any input? sorry juan, not trying to hijack your thread!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76