Fisherman catches lost rod a month later

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
[h=1]A ND fisherman made the unlikeliest catch: a rod and reel he'd lost a month prior[/h]By Kris Kerzman

0b3bwpqyyvqxkd2vnrhjbbwgtuve.jpg
Troy Brezden holds up the rod and reel he'd lost in 20 feet of water on Lake Sakakawea, then pulled up while fishing four weeks later. Special to Forum News Service

MINOT, N.D.—As fishing stories go, Troy Brezden's is a holy cow, would-ya-believe-that, heckuva-doozy of a whopper.

When he took the boat out Saturday, Aug. 26, onto the Van Hook Arm of Lake Sakakawea, the Minot man didn't pull up a big walleye or a northern. He caught his own fishing pole, the same one he'd dropped into 20 feet of water about a month earlier.

Here's the story. A couple years ago, his wife, LaDonna, gave him a dynamite Father's Day gift: a $250 Pflueger reel. A pricey gift, but one that Troy deserved, LaDonna says.
"He doesn't purchase items like this for himself. With his love of fishing and hunting, I thought I'd do one special thing for him for once," she says.
Troy treasured the reel. He paired it with a Scheels Outfitter rod and used it whenever they got to their cabin at Brendel's Bay Resort, near Parshall, and fished the big lake.
"It was my pride and joy," he says.
Four weeks ago Troy, along with his brother and his father, went out to wet a line. The wind came up, he says, so he threw out the drift sock to help keep the boat in place.
"And along with the drift sock went my rod and reel," Troy says. "It was in about 20 feet of water, so we just let it go."
"He just felt sick that he lost something like this," LaDonna says.
Fast forward to last weekend, when Brezden was using a spare Pflueger reel and another Scheels Outfitter rod to fish in the same area of the lake. His wife (maybe a good luck charm?) and his father were with him this time. He put on a ¾ bottom bouncer and was fishing just a bit off the bottom, he says, when he felt the hook slipping on something as he reeled it in.
It was the rig he'd lost the week before.
"The winds were calm on Saturday," he says. "It was a good morning to catch a rod, and we ended up catching seven walleyes after that."
His beloved rod and reel were in good shape, too. He took them home, cleaned them up and will start using them on the next fishing trip.
But do people actually believe this happened? Or do they chalk it up to just another big fish story? Troy laughs. People do pull up lost items when they're fishing, right? And people win the lottery, don't they, as unlikely as that may be?
"It's just amazing," he says.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few years ago my brother dropped his brand new St. Croix ice combo down the ice hole. Next summer our friend was trolling for eyes and caught his rod. Was pretty funny.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've caught rods we've lost before, but I was trying to. Its a lot easier when a snag pulls them over because there is line out. Once my dad caught a rod I lost earlier that morning. Just me and my brother we on the boat then, he came out later. He was all happy until he realized it was his rod lol.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've caught a few rods in the summer. The one I remember happened in the winter. I friend of mine lost a rod down a ice hole. I was fishing the same area about a week later and I managed to hook it jigging a buck shot.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had one roll off the side of my kayak at kota ray last summer. Everytime I tell myself I dont need a camera I think it would be worth it just for the fun of searching for it.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I lost one in Sak I wish someone would find it and get some use out of it..... dam snag whipped it right out of my hands

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I remember ice fishing with Lycan when we were in high school & he dropped his keys down the hole & put on a big treble hook & caught them within 5 minutes. ;:;bowdown

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11