Fishing Ethics

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I'm in a bad mood I'll just stay there and fish like they're not even there, and probably turn up the stereo.

Most at of the time I'll try just move far enought away to not be bothered, but yet so they can see me catch more fish.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ask politely for them to back off. If told some derivation of F you. Evil KDM emerges and ...................................

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had this happen at lake Heartbutte sitting on a point started catching fish a pontoon comes in with drunk bunch of people drop there anchor right on the spot were I was catching fish. I never knew that 10lb fishing line can pull up a anchor it did without them knowing beings I was down wind I took the anchor and dropped it off the ledge. I went back upwind and they went way down wind because the anchor rope wasn't out far enough to hit the bottom they were floating farther and farther away. the funny part was I don't think they even noticed.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kinda depends where you are fishing IMO, on the river ofthen theres no choice but to fish near people, the good spots are always busy pretty much, and you cant expect people to run the river for miles looking for another spot, just gotta share and try to get along. Often on lakes there are plenty of other places to fish, so its easier to give people a little space....

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy of mine likes to bounce a 1/2 oz jig off the offending boat over and over until they leave. That's over in MN though.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
When boats horn in on me when Im shore fishing, Ive been known to put on a spoon and snag their lines with my pike rod, 40lb power pro, reel their lure in, cut it off and toss it on shore. It does a pretty good job sending a message....

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess for me if the boat is not with in normal casting distance it will not bother me unless they are being jackwagons about it…then the heavy braided line gets brought out with a big ole daredevil and it becomes a game to see if I can snag their line without looking like I am trying to snag their line, but really I am, but they don’t know that. Lucky for me where I fish most people are fairly respectable and most will share a cold beverage with you while you discuss how sucky the fishing is that day…the only times I have seen real jackwagons is on SAK sometimes, was with a buddy east of Indian Hills fishing a point this dillhole in a Ranger(nothing against dillholes) comes in just about full throttle about 50 yrds from us, now we are working a zig zag pattern across this point, and most of the time if a boat or two want to run the similar pattern it works out ok, with the occasional snag or big fish throwing off the rotation…anyways Mr Dillhole was either: A. running the most aggressive zig-ziggyest zag-zaggyest pattern I have every seen B. never ever ever in his life operated a bow mounted trolling motor before. C. having a constant attack of mini strokes(I seriously thought this might be the case and yelled over to him at one point asking if he was ok)…Apparently he thought I was being cute or something and next pass was with in pissing distance of our boat. AT this point we decided turn the big motor on and idle while trolling our next pass. While Mr Dillhole was turning lifted our bow mount…we continued one pretending to troll with the big motor, sure enough this guy started angling his pass right at us, we got our boat angled away from him just as he went by had the big motor trimmed up a bit and punched it about 10 yards from his boat, I do not know for certain but I think we got his line in the motor, or he snagged up just as we were leaving.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've gotten grumpier in my old age :D. River fishing, you have to expect to be around people at most times. I don't mind. It bugs the heck out of me when I see one jag off starting to pull cranks while the whole group is drifting and vice versa. If I pull into a group, I always take a second to see what the game plan is and I follow suit. For lake fishing, I usually throw out a buoy and then head around the corner, especially on sak. If you pull up and need help finding fish, I'll help you, but don't drop in on someone because you seen a net come out. Laziness.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've gotten grumpier in my old age :D. River fishing, you have to expect to be around people at most times. I don't mind. It bugs the heck out of me when I see one jag off starting to pull cranks while the whole group is drifting and vice versa. If I pull into a group, I always take a second to see what the game plan is and I follow suit. For lake fishing, I usually throw out a buoy and then head around the corner, especially on sak. If you pull up and need help finding fish, I'll help you, but don't drop in on someone because you seen a net come out. Laziness.

Im that guy that will troll cranks, if everyone else is jigging, cuz I figure there are fish in the area, all of the ones that want jigs are probably already caught, but sometimes if you run through with cranks, youll nab a few that arent interested in the slower jigging presentation. But I will stay a respectful distance from boats, and give drifters the right of way. Unless fish are really shallow, 6ft or less, a boat trolling shouldnt bother the fish much...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80