Fishing Kayak Input Requested

MT11

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha I have been looking at kayak's also for fishing a couple rivers at home and little farm ponds. So far I have it narrowed down to the Jackson brand with the big tuna in the lead because I have two kids and usually go on a 5 day float trip once a year. My second choice is the big rig and after reading this thread I hope when you decide to pull the trigger, please do a full review as local information for kayaks on the inter webs are non existent.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes and i want to feed the chickens and chase them with a broom.

That costs extra!!

- - - Updated - - -

Haha I have been looking at kayak's also for fishing a couple rivers at home and little farm ponds. So far I have it narrowed down to the Jackson brand with the big tuna in the lead because I have two kids and usually go on a 5 day float trip once a year. My second choice is the big rig and after reading this thread I hope when you decide to pull the trigger, please do a full review as local information for kayaks on the inter webs are non existent.

The big rig is in the lead for me right now, but I now have to reevaluate the hobie products. Which is cool and why having a site like NDA is so valuable. Lots of folks with experiences not available elsewhere.

MT11

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah the setups some of the guys have on their hobie kayaks on you tube are amazing.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lund makes a model A boat the twelve foot weighs 164 lbs and 14ft 194 lbs might be something to look into idk

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is what we use to launch our inflatable boats over the beach to go diving. You can take the wheels off when you get the boat to the water or just flip them up out of the water. This might make it easier for one person to launch a jon boat vs. a kayak.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZXXWES/?tag=nodakangler10-20

transom launching wheels.jpg

Steve.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Being close to the water isn't without risk...............

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty much settled on the Big Rig, but the Big Tuna was right up there as well. Now I'm just looking for the right price. Most of these that are for sale are down by the gulf, so finding one up this way has been interesting.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey KDM have you looked at Austin Kayak? I got mine delivered to Minot no charge. Everything arrived well packaged. Looks like the wind is finally going to die off a bit so I am going to head out after work. Give me a shout when you get the Big Rig. Don't forget to look at how you plan on transporting it. I switched vehicles the new ride has a short bed. I picked up a hitch type bed extender that has side arms. Kayak slides up real nice. Tie it down with two straps and good to go. The only issue was lighting for the return after dark.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a nice looking model especially for as tight as it is along that river. Buddy was over the other day and asked if I was willing to trade him my standard closed topped kayak. I haven't used it in ten years so asked what he was willing to trade. He said he would trade the SS pipsqueaks twin brother and I said SOLD before he had even finished the sentence! Nice having two so I can leave one at my folks lake and leave the other in the truck to go to all the other spots in the area.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't checked them out Orcus, but I will now. Thanks!! Got an 8ft bed on my truck, so transportation is covered to and from the area. From the truck to the water and back is where things might get interesting. Big Rig is 100 lbs giv'er take. Kind of settled on that one due to the stability issue. I want something that won't send me into the drink every time I screw up a turn or something. Having the ability and space to add a trolling motor or a power pole didn't hurt the decision making process either. Once I get some paddling under my belt, I could probably move up to a faster Kayak and not worry as much about getting wet.

wkndwarrior

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to sell kayaks as a part time gig and one of the things we were told in training was for people using kayaks for the first time was to have them get in them and tip them purposely a few times. That way you know where your tipping point is. With the ones your looking at I'm guessing your going to have to be almost a monkey to get them to tip. I did this with my Hobie and was actually surprised at how far you have to go in order to get it to turn over.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM check out the rolling carts for Kayaks. I made mine out of PVC and large lawnmower wheels. I put it on the front end, lift the back end and roll it into the water. Unhook, fish, reverse procedure. I'll take a picture tonight and post it. I think it was around $60 to put together. I could not see lifting my rig to the roof as it is 13 foot long. When you get yours I'll give you some help rigging.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM check out the rolling carts for Kayaks. I made mine out of PVC and large lawnmower wheels. I put it on the front end, lift the back end and roll it into the water. Unhook, fish, reverse procedure. I'll take a picture tonight and post it. I think it was around $60 to put together. I could not see lifting my rig to the roof as it is 13 foot long. When you get yours I'll give you some help rigging.

Thanks Orcus!! Always like to see what other guys have working for them.

MT11

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Scheel's store in Billings a couple weeks ago had a surprising inventory of fishing kayaks on the floor. Which was nice as I finally could compare the size of the Hobies and Eddyline models together. No Jackson models however. Had the wife with me or else I would have walked out with one.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not wanting to hijack KDM's thread, but looking for ideas on converting a double-wide snowmobile trailer to carry 6 kayaks. prefer DIY, but am considering some ready made systems. Thanks in advance. Happy kayaking!! :)

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wirehair, I have seen homemade A frame units that can hold 8 Canoes I would think that would be easy to weld up and it would give you storage on the trailer between the lower part of the frame. Just make sure to secure them well. I almost got taken out by a canoe from a trailer going down the highway. It was surreal watching it flying right toward the windshield.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those of you still working on your rigs. Here is the cart I put together from pvc pipe and lawnmower wheels. I used aluminum rod for the axle so it would not rust. And for you guys with a short bed in your truck this is how I set up a bed extender for the kayak.KIMG0042.jpg KIMG0045.jpg

MT11

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see Jackson Kayak has a teaser out now on YouTube about their pedal drive system they have. Hmmm.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 157
  • This month: 152
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55