Fishing over state lines

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fished around the state line on Oahe yesterday and now I've been toying around with the idea of buying a one day SD fishing lines and fishing both sides. I have been trying to find any rules/regulations on crossing over in a boat, as well as transporting fish in the livewell. I was wondering if anyone on here has done it, or if I am able to do such a thing and what I need to know to do it. Thank you

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've oft wondered the same thing while hunting upland game on the ND/MT border but I haven't dug into it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’d just do it and pay the fine if I did it wrong. Seems like you should be able to take a limit on both sides. But I’d catch and reduce them to possession (clean them) in series. First do one side, then the other.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
havent seen the latest regulations but you used to be able to fish a tributary up to the first road crossing with a out of state license on a river that acts as the dividing line between states. people with mn license used to fish the dam on the pembina river at pembina and could fish both sides of the red, using easiest access.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can’t have both limits in the boat you can have your sd limit or nd limit in the boat.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
sweeney is correct. So if you are fishing the border region and a ND game warden sees you over in SD, you best only have four fish. You can fish both sides of the border on the same day, but to avoid a ticket, you would have to clean and store the fish from the first state you fished at home. Not even your camper, because as soon as you put 9 walleyes in your cooler, you are over your daily limit.

It would seem this shouldn't be so complicated, but we are talking about the same people who now count your limit via fish chunks instead of fish.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where ever state you launch, you better obey those rules. If you put in at Pollock SD, then run up to the ND side, you better not come in with 5 fish each and more than 1 fish over 20 inches per angler.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would seem this shouldn't be so complicated, but we are talking about the same people who now count your limit via fish chunks instead of fish.

So a few years ago with the the old way, you would have had zero problems if a game warden checked some Wisconsin boys and they had their fillets cut into hundreds of pieces?

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You need to be legal at all times according to the regulations of the water you are on whether you are actively fishing or not.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So a few years ago with the the old way, you would have had zero problems if a game warden checked some Wisconsin boys and they had their fillets cut into hundreds of pieces?

No, but somewhere in-between the two extremes would have been a better place to come to rest than the current rules.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what I'm getting is this. If I am trolling back and forth over the state line I should make sure I only have a limit of 4 per person. Once I have that limit and I want to get each person one more, I need to stay in ND. Now that I am thinking about it, it's probably not even worth it. It was more of a piece of mind thing of not having to worry about a state line.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is definetly a grey area 20 some years ago if you had both a Nodak and a Sodak licence it would be ok to get your 4 in Sodak then go to Nodak and get your 5 there. That was dependant on wether the game warden . If you were docked at Langeliers it might be ok at Pollock no dice

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is definetly a grey area 20 some years ago if you had both a Nodak and a Sodak licence it would be ok to get your 4 in Sodak then go to Nodak and get your 5 there. That was dependant on wether the game warden . If you were docked at Langeliers it might be ok at Pollock no dice

That's what I heard when I moved to the area in the mid 90s. The ND warden would allow you your 4 SD fish if docked at Langliers maybe even Cattail or Beaver. I worked with a guy from Linton who is an avid angler, and this was his claim..THEN...not sure now. I didn't want to bring it up as it was so long ago, and it was just something I 'heard'.

With today's technology, gopro cameras and GPS trails, it would be pretty easy to document exactly where each fish was caught. It would be interesting for someone to document a limit in ND and SD then fight it out in court. Because logically, it should be legal to harvest a limit in each state without having to go home between trips.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84