Fishing shows, what type of fishing do you like to watch most?

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can barely tolerate to watch most shows anymore. The blatant marketing makes me want to puke. There are very few fishing shows that offer anything to improve the skills of or educate the audience. It's all about, "You need to buy this or you won't catch a single fish."

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can barely tolerate to watch most shows anymore. The blatant marketing makes me want to puke. There are very few fishing shows that offer anything to improve the skills of or educate the audience. It's all about, "You need to buy this or you won't catch a single fish."

No kidding. Some of them have gotten insane. Show a fish on a camera "hey let's talk about this great camera!" "Now before I pick up a rod and reel let's talk about our 3 fish finders. Great now I'm about to cast this(rod,reel, specs, line, bait...) we might fish right after this commercial!" All that and I've gotten many times more useful info from this site about fishing gear.

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any of you guys watch major league fishing when it was on? I really like it and liked the format of the competition (all catch and release and timeout penalties for small fish or mishandling fish).

Other than that I get a kick out of John Gillespie. I like that I'm watching a show filmed less than a week before it airs.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
any documentary style fishing shows, Jungle hooks was pretty awesome (Jeremy Wade pre river monster sensationalism) and a few saltwater shows like Spanish fly and hawks cay.

I almost can't watch Spanish Fly because I'm so jealous I could scream.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like Alaska fishing shows. We are going to take a family vacation up there and fish halibut and salmon with my uncle.who lives in anchorage

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like watching the IDO stuff, James Holst is a bit dorky, but the information is good. Wicked tuna, and I have started watching The Next Bite. I really like watching Jim Carrolls stuff on you tube because he fishes the same waters I do.

Ravencubs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Across The Ice Belt...In-Depth Outdoors...Fish Ed...Midwest Outdoors

Last edited:

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hard to beat Bill dance bloopers. Best one when a 70 pound deep cycle fell off tailgate onto his foot

Same. Any show where the host drives ATVs into the creek, forgets to remove the transom straps while loading the boat, jumps out of the boat when a snake jumps in, or takes a recently unsnagged airborne buzzbait to the nuggets is a good show in my book.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
as long as they don't whisper like some effin douche, I am in.

I hate whispering, worse than the Americas mattress asshole shouting his catch phrase 82 times a day on FKYR.
He is probably a good guy, but if I ever come into a face to face situation with the guy, I might be tempted to pop him one for the insane adds.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like watching the IDO stuff, James Holst is a bit dorky, but the information is good. Wicked tuna, and I have started watching The Next Bite. I really like watching Jim Carrolls stuff on you tube because he fishes the same waters I do.[/QUOTE

Ha ha ha! I chuckle every time he yells "Super Tanker" in his opening.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I miss the Tony Dean Outdoors show, he was such a nice man in real life. Never said to much but was kind and decent when he did.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I miss the Tony Dean Outdoors show, he was such a nice man in real life. Never said to much but was kind and decent when he did.

He was a decent enough guy but he and I had some real heated email and web debates when he went off the global warming curve... hard. He'd rail about global warming and then drive 500 miles each way to fish for perch. I called him a hypocrite and off we went. :;:duel

This was when he was thinking of getting into politics and was posting stuff like this on his web site. I wrote him and told him if he's buying into stuff like this he needs to stay out of politics. Ha ha ha.

http://www.tonydean.com/pages/posts/global-warming-could-hurt-hunting-fishing161.php

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guywhofishes now you know he was a little Frenchman right, but he did have a lot of good conservative hindsight. Was very passionate about conservation and topics of the times."global warming, corn subsidies, wet land drainage." I called that "passion"
Oh yeah he would scamper off babbling to himself on more than one occasion. If you ever watch some of perch patrols videos the guy who drives the snobear, I met him earlier this fall on a project over by edmore. I can't remember his name, but yes he also said the samething about Mr. Dean.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guywhofishes now you know he was a little Frenchman right, but he did have a lot of good conservative hindsight. Was very passionate about conservation and topics of the times."global warming, corn subsidies, wet land drainage." I called that "passion"

My sparring with him was basically limited to his global warming alarmist attitude. I agree that he was good for conservation, etc. but he didn't walk on water. Al Gore was passionate too.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My sparring with him was basically limited to his global warming alarmist attitude. I agree that he was good for conservation, etc. but he didn't walk on water. Al Gore was passionate too.

I bet he hated to use nanofil on his fishing reels and you was probably mad cuz he said "the next time I'm in town" which never happened because he didn't like driving through the trailer court. :;:muahaha

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a bass guy so those are the types of shows that I tend to watch. However, I can't just watch guys just going out and catching fish. They either have to attempt to teach me something or there has to be something unique about it. A good example of that is Major League Fishing. Some of you said that you have watched that show but for those of you that haven't, it is a tournament that each fish is immediately weighed in the boat by an official and then immediately released. The total weight at the end of the day will advance to the next round. It is so fascinating that some of us here in ND held tournaments of this same format last year and it was a blast! I highly recommend anyone (whether you like bass or not) to watch it.

I also find myself watching walleye shows but if the tactic for the day involves trolling, I'll just go watch the grass grow.

It's funny that some of you say that you feel like it's mostly just bass shows on TV. I used to feel the same way but now between the 4 outdoor channels that I have, I see way more saltwater or far north (like Canada) fishing with very little bass content. I will say though, there's still way more bass content than walleye.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Being a guy who is fairly close to the industry and sold television advertising for most of my adult life if you can find a way to make a living on a TV show without sponsors I am all ears. Nobody works for free and advertising is just the nature of the beast. The reason we see so much in terms of product placement and mention is nobody watches commercials any more thanks to DVR.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big fan of Major League.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82