Flooding on the west side.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Yellowstone in McKenzie County. The deer pic is taken from the highway 200 bridge.
What exactly are we looking at in that pic? Nevermind was able to make sense of it the second time. All the deer lined up made made then look like a log. Did they make it across?

Last edited:

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's looking north(downriver) from the hwy 200 bridge, about a dozen deer circled. Doesn't look good for them. If they are able to get off that chuck of ice however unlikely the closest land will be about 250 yards to the right onto the hills above where the east bank usually is. Other than a few high spots to the west the river is almost 4 miles wide in places. It's very possible parts of 200 won't be there when this goes down. There is actually a current running north to south about 3 miles west of the photo moving accross the highway.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
that deer pic is unbelievable

anybody got a higher resolution pic?

Not that i know of, it was taken y the folks who live in the house closest to Sundheim Park, the house has been there at least 50 years. They hung around as long as they could then hooked up the camper and got out. There is water up on their house now.

- - - Updated - - -

Still rising also.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That sucks bad for those people i think it is going to be bad. Watertown is starting to sand bag my dad said. The big sioux is backing up

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why is the Yellowstone flooding so bad this year, wasn't there way more snow last year in eastern MT?

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why is the Yellowstone flooding so bad this year, wasn't there way more snow last year in eastern MT?

Heres my guess. This year was a lot colder, so thicker ice?
last year was lots of snow but not as cold? That’s just my theory..

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heres my guess. This year was a lot colder, so thicker ice?
last year was lots of snow but not as cold? That’s just my theory..

Yep. Ice is usually pretty thick but 3+ feet was common after that February we had. Not an incredible amount of snow compared to normal but once things started moving it all went at once and 3 feet think slabs of ice stacking up turns into one hell of a damn. Things were at a standstill yesterday morning with still a 15 mile long ice floe on the way, things didn't move before the newer 15 miles of ice hit and stacked up behind it. Keep in mind the Missouri ice and the confluence is still intact, raised up over 15 feet but stilll largely intact. Add to that the temp went from 50s to 30 yesterday and freezing at night.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
3B1C4DD4-044C-4ACE-B1EA-F2A43EB9E1DF.jpeg963B59E9-BF3D-4EF7-947C-8178032873CB.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

0E7AA3FA-A4F5-46CF-807C-503C3BB3BF16.jpg
Even the damn moose are on the ice.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wonder how fast that will go down once she let's loose. The warm up the next week should help.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea hoping tomorrow things will move a bit 60 and sunny will soften that ice up a lot. The sooner the better a lot of people out of their homes and it looks like some may not be able to salvage them when they get back, terrible.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea hoping tomorrow things will move a bit 60 and sunny will soften that ice up a lot. The sooner the better a lot of people out of their homes and it looks like some may not be able to salvage them when they get back, terrible.

I seen some aerial photos today and it looks like a mess. Hopefully people will be able to recover after some time from this. Makes a guy wonder what wildlife lose will happen. Between the pic of deer and moose on the ice and another picture of 4 moose standing in water with no dry ground in sight.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I seen some aerial photos today and it looks like a mess. Hopefully people will be able to recover after some time from this. Makes a guy wonder what wildlife lose will happen. Between the pic of deer and moose on the ice and another picture of 4 moose standing in water with no dry ground in sight.
Yep I like the moose’s chances better but once that starts moving I don’t see how they could make it out without getting crushed by something.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a good deal. Makes me wonder how the deer and moose get on the ice like that in the first place.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
As of right now, 3 feet higher than what was considered the worst ever. 3 feet covers a ton of land out here.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55