Flooding on the west side.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
i think the smelt might be bye bye again. We were so close to getting back to good fishing well might be limits of 15 again with no food for the fish

No. Take a look at reservoir elevations and rethink this.

- - - Updated - - -

i think the smelt might be bye bye again. We were so close to getting back to good fishing well might be limits of 15 again with no food for the fish

They installed some sheets of plywood to prevent water from going into the penstock from a certain depth. I am pretty sure this was a low water year though, not a high water year. I also don't have any info as to if those sheets of plywood are still in place. All I remember for sure is that I thought those divers were crazy!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ice jamming up and huge elevation rise and panick with a quick flush is the feeling I get I hope not. Either way the coe could fuck up a wet dream so any ones guess

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ice jamming up and huge elevation rise and panick with a quick flush is the feeling I get I hope not. Either way the coe could fuck up a wet dream so any ones guess

I will just leave this here

Kurtr
user-online.png
Ultimate VIP Member
Blue_Glow_Forum_Ranks_S_Mod.png

reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_highpos.png

Join DateApr 2015LocationMobridge,SdPosts5,852NDA Points96,450NDA Level100Report Entries10
Thumbs Up
Received: 6,360
Given: 2,163
Classifieds1
After living through the dry years I will always want more water than less

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think with all the flooding throughout the missouri river basin and all the snow out west yet, Sak has to get over the spillway again.

The flooding is being caused mostly by ice...not excessive runoff. The MT snowpack is normal to below normal and Sak has 15' of space. Unless there are some insane record breaking spring rains there is no way the lake is going over the spillway.

Its just going to be another good water year to keep the lake high and keep those smelt and walleye on Sak flourishing
#$%^&>

http://www.nwd-mr.usace.army.mil/rcc/reports/snow.pdf

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will just leave this here

Kurtr
user-online.png
Ultimate VIP Member
Blue_Glow_Forum_Ranks_S_Mod.png

reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_highpos.png

Join DateApr 2015LocationMobridge,SdPosts5,852NDA Points96,450NDA Level100Report Entries10
Thumbs Up
Received: 6,360
Given: 2,163
Classifieds1
After living through the dry years I will always want more water than less

Still holds true we will be in a drought in a few weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

and thats some creepy stalker shit

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
The flooding is being caused mostly by ice...not excessive runoff. The MT snowpack is normal to below normal and Sak has 15' of space. Unless there are some insane record breaking spring rains there is no way the lake is going over the spillway.

Todays report shows Sak is up .7' in one day with inflow of 133,000 and discharge at 13,300 Oahe is up .8' with inflows of 150,000 and discharge 4,300 Until they get the mess down south handled the lake is going up rather quickly and will eat up a good portion of the storage.

What did the lake peak at last year?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
It peaked somewhere in the low 1850's....it didn't go over the spillway and last year had waaay more snow pack in MT.

Also this year is the perfect example if why they cant release water earlier like so many always complain about. You cant release a bunch of water into a system full of ice. When to much water comes into a system clogged with ice you get a situation like the Yellowstone is experiencing.

Last edited:

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Any word on whether or not the ice is moving down the Yellowstone yet or if it is still jammed up again at the Confluence area back to Sundheim Park. It is amazing how high the river is to have the park there flood from the ice jams. I am also surprised we haven't see some drone footage yet from someone of the ice jam. Definitely going to need to open up soon in the NDGF guys want to get out on the west end of the lake to net and tag Paddlefish. I think they typically do that mid-April.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any word on whether or not the ice is moving down the Yellowstone yet or if it is still jammed up again at the Confluence area back to Sundheim Park. It is amazing how high the river is to have the park there flood from the ice jams. I am also surprised we haven't see some drone footage yet from someone of the ice jam. Definitely going to need to open up soon in the NDGF guys want to get out on the west end of the lake to net and tag Paddlefish. I think they typically do that mid-April.

River is coming down here quite a bit, there is still on the Yellowstone ice but it is moving a bit. A big concern last night, haven't heard anything yet ths morning, was the Trenton/Buford area. Lots of ice has that backed up now and it was rising fast. Crazy coming down Trenton hill yesterday, it looked like one of the aerial shots from swamp peaople.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Todays report shows Sak is up .7' in one day with inflow of 133,000 and discharge at 13,300 Oahe is up .8' with inflows of 150,000 and discharge 4,300 Until they get the mess down south handled the lake is going up rather quickly and will eat up a good portion of the storage.

What did the lake peak at last year? .

She peaked at 53 last year. The Missouri rise is a momentary pulse coming down in large part from The Milk River and a few other tributaries. The Yellowstone is dropping rapidly and so once this pulse of water moves through which will not take very long Sakakawea inflows will drop off precipitously. She still has 14 and a half feet of free board and has only come up two and a half feet so she's got some room.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just went in on the NBC interview with Gov. Burgum that took place at the Confluence boat ramp area yesterday and it looked like the water moving all the way across the river. Just big chunks of ice pushed up on the shore that size of pickups. :cool:

Just hope and pray that the residents and sugar beet farmers get relief in the area and all those affected stay safe. I hope that you all are able to quickly cleanup and rebuild. God Bless everyone and all those around the state and region affected by spring flooding.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55