F'n Trespassers!!!

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I bought a piece of land in MN back in April of 2015, as an investment and a place for all of my family if they wanted a place to hunt or what not. From day one I have had issues with people tresspassing. I was building my kids a tree house and some guy comes driving up my driveway and stops to see what I am doing. Now this is not a place that can be seen from the road. He assumes i am building a tree stand and I inform him that it is a tree house. I get a befuddled look and he asks if I bought the land. I then stated the obvious and informed him he had driven past two no tresspassing signs on his way in. He then goes on to ask me if he can ride is atv through my land because he had been doing so for years. I then had to let him know that I didnt care what his past was and I didnt buy the land for him to use. I also told him that he knew it was for sale then he should have coughed up the money to buy it if he wanted to continue to use it. I then find out that he was my wifes high school science teacher and his entitlement plea continues. I dont care and tell him to tun back the way he had come in.

I didnt return until November of 2015. I arrived to find all of my no tresspassing signs torn down. I also find someone cut up a rather large birch tree and dumped it in a big pile right in the middle of my driveway. That pissed me off pretty bad, but on the bright side I didnt have to cut any firewood. I spent a day and put all of my signs back up and a few extra's. I should add that early in the fall my wife recieved several phone call's from an old friend in regards to the d-bag on the atv still wanting to use my land. By now I have had enough of this guy and tell him he can go piss up a rope but if he wants to use the land he could buy it.

Fast forward to present day. I arrived at my land yesterday and have not been here since November 2015. Well what do I find? Only one no tresspassing sign still up, the guy accross the road that I granted an easement to get to his land has widened my other driveway to his benefit not mine. The easement was to cross 100 ft of my land by an old existing logging road and nothing else. He pushed dirt and debris into burms and thus blocking my access or other parking I had saved that for. On top of that I find someone had been riding their atv to my back corner and walking around hunting I presume. Wonder who that ass clown could be? I guess if you come upon a piece of land you want to use just tear the signs down and carry on. At this point I am ready to start busting peoples skulls as I found is the only fix for most people around here.

On the upside, the deer are loaded in here right now. But even better was sitting in absolute silence other than listening to the two lakes on both sides of me making ice which is an awesome sound. The ravens and all of their crazy noises were entertaining for a bit also. Sorry for the rant, just needed to vent.

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can relate. I’ve owned a few pieces of “dream ground” only to find that it’s a royal pain in the ass most of the time - especially as an absentee landowner. The only way I’ve been successful is to befriend neighbors and communicate with them regularly. On the bright side, owning real estate is usually very rewarding financially, especially if you can separate the benefits from the emotional side of me inconsiderate idiots. Good luck - enjoy the critters and ground as best you can!!

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a good idea, I will look after your land and make sure know one drives atv's on it or trespasses. I won't charge you anything. Just let me hunt it from time to time.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sad thing is my brother in law isn't very far away and his inlaws are only a couple miles down the road. I just didn't want to burden anyone with looking after it. So I did have my brother inlaw add me to his client list for his cabin care business. Now he will swing by and make sure things are in check from here on out. Peace of mind just comes at a price.

wby257, its not the greatest piece of ground in the world but I can walk out my back door and into 10's of thousands of acres of public land. If you need a place to make camp or take a youngster its here if you like. As I said I bought it for my family to use and nobody has been here yet but me.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
So the guy asking to ride his 4wheeler through your land was asking to cross your land to access public land?

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
So the guy asking to ride his 4wheeler through your land was asking to cross your land to access public land?

Their are plenty of other ways back in there and none of which are difficult. So maybe that is what he wanted but he can go a 1/4 mile down the road and have at it. I'm not about to let someone ride their atv the entire length of my property, I don't do it myself.

Last edited:

Livetohuntandfish

Established Member
So I bought a piece of land in MN back in April of 2015, as an investment and a place for all of my family if they wanted a place to hunt or what not. From day one I have had issues with people tresspassing. I was building my kids a tree house and some guy comes driving up my driveway and stops to see what I am doing. Now this is not a place that can be seen from the road. He assumes i am building a tree stand and I inform him that it is a tree house. I get a befuddled look and he asks if I bought the land. I then stated the obvious and informed him he had driven past two no tresspassing signs on his way in. He then goes on to ask me if he can ride is atv through my land because he had been doing so for years. I then had to let him know that I didnt care what his past was and I didnt buy the land for him to use. I also told him that he knew it was for sale then he should have coughed up the money to buy it if he wanted to continue to use it. I then find out that he was my wifes high school science teacher and his entitlement plea continues. I dont care and tell him to tun back the way he had come in.

I didnt return until November of 2015. I arrived to find all of my no tresspassing signs torn down. I also find someone cut up a rather large birch tree and dumped it in a big pile right in the middle of my driveway. That pissed me off pretty bad, but on the bright side I didnt have to cut any firewood. I spent a day and put all of my signs back up and a few extra's. I should add that early in the fall my wife recieved several phone call's from an old friend in regards to the d-bag on the atv still wanting to use my land. By now I have had enough of this guy and tell him he can go piss up a rope but if he wants to use the land he could buy it.

Fast forward to present day. I arrived at my land yesterday and have not been here since November 2015. Well what do I find? Only one no tresspassing sign still up, the guy accross the road that I granted an easement to get to his land has widened my other driveway to his benefit not mine. The easement was to cross 100 ft of my land by an old existing logging road and nothing else. He pushed dirt and debris into burms and thus blocking my access or other parking I had saved that for. On top of that I find someone had been riding their atv to my back corner and walking around hunting I presume. Wonder who that ass clown could be? I guess if you come upon a piece of land you want to use just tear the signs down and carry on. At this point I am ready to start busting peoples skulls as I found is the only fix for most people around here.

On the upside, the deer are loaded in here right now. But even better was sitting in absolute silence other than listening to the two lakes on both sides of me making ice which is an awesome sound. The ravens and all of their crazy noises were entertaining for a bit also. Sorry for the rant, just needed to vent.

Welcome to land owners life year round and especially during hunting season. This year I put up over 100 signs and had people sneaking on all over. Had one person ask to hunt and that was a new neighbor. Gotta understand that some people are angry that there’s nowhere to hunt, but yet they refuse to ask. Least here it’s much easier to either wait till their on the road or else shoot and haul ass grab them and tear away. Sad to say but least around me in North Dakota our deer hunting heritage is turning into a dangerous joke.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Land ownership has it's pitfalls and frustrations doesn't it?? You pay for the fantasy of having your own "Honey Hole" to groom and tailor to your preference. You can see your kids, smiles aplenty as you take pics of their successful hunts. You walk the edges and picture what it will be. Then jerkwads, azzhats, and other vermin filled with jealousy, inconsideration, and laziness slam reality in your face and your "Honey Hole" becomes a battlefield. However, with a bit of effort, thought, and deviousness, all can be corrected. I truly wish you luck in your endeavors!!!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would enjoy sitting there and waiting for one of them to trespass and then call the authorities. Next season if we aren't doing anything and you need someone to watch it let us know. We don't hunt anymore so you don't have to worry about that.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some people can be such dicks..smh.....as for the easement detail, just tell him to tidy his end up or just push the dirt back on his side, if he fusses, tell him you'll see him in court. Hate to say it but sometimes taking legal action is the only way to get things across to people these days, yes, can be a pain, but a least you get to make an asshat out of them in court.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Expensive but this will allow you to keep tabs on your investment while being away.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00806KGY6/?tag=nodakangler10-20

Also a trip to the local ( to your property ) sheriffs office and a 10-15 minute talk with a deputy wouldn't be a complete waste of your time.

Sucks dealing with people that know your not there all the time.

There are ways to discourage ATV traffic on your own land but best not to discuss online....

Also Dummy game cams locked to trees out where the world can see them should help.

Last edited:

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sometimes just a sign that says “cameras in use” can be handy, whether they are there or not.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88