Food plot question

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I'm going to be planting RR beans in a food plot and I want to over seed clover. I'm thinking plant the beans, spray them at about 12" and then seed the clover. Anyone else done this or thoughts?

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you are spraying glypho the clover germination should work as the glypho should be inactive if applied earlier.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I'm going to be planting RR beans in a food plot and I want to over seed clover. I'm thinking plant the beans, spray them at about 12" and then seed the clover. Anyone else done this or thoughts?

Yep. Spray the beans at a foot tall a week or two prior to clover seeding, and then over-seed before a rain.

I did some brassica over-seeding with some rather great/insane results. Turnips, radishes, rape, kale. The brassicas grew to the same height as the beans in 5-6 weeks and it was an awesome time come fall/winter.

This year I'm doing separate plots for clover as I want them to maintain for 3-5 years. Will have about 5-6 acres of corn, 5-6 acres of beans and a few acres of clover. The beans and some of the corn will be over-seeded again with brassica mix.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What do you use to plant brassicas when the beans are taller or do you just spread?

This year i do plan on planting a plot of soybeans with kale, rape and some whitetail institude greens at the same time. Hope what planted out does the weeds. Looking for a drill as in the past would cultivate and then drag seeds in. Spreading of seed even thought some say leave on top on ground does not work for me. Maybe to soon for the brassicas but i did plant some rape and kale in the spring and it does get tall with a lot of leaf area.
Gave up on corn. It is a good crop to plant but do not have the equipment to till under in the spring.
Have plots of clover and alfalfa and it appears it came back good again this year. So like the plots that I do not have to seed every year also. db

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep. Spray the beans at a foot tall a week or two prior to clover seeding, and then over-seed before a rain.

I did some brassica over-seeding with some rather great/insane results. Turnips, radishes, rape, kale. The brassicas grew to the same height as the beans in 5-6 weeks and it was an awesome time come fall/winter.

This year I'm doing separate plots for clover as I want them to maintain for 3-5 years. Will have about 5-6 acres of corn, 5-6 acres of beans and a few acres of clover. The beans and some of the corn will be over-seeded again with brassica mix.
I've got a separate small plot of clover. Planted corn and seeds last in this plot. Gonna give the beans and clover a go this year. I've had beans in it before but first time over seeding. I've tried turnips and brassicas before with poor results, might have been too late and not enough moisture.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you use to plant brassicas when the beans are taller or do you just spread?

This year i do plan on planting a plot of soybeans with kale, rape and some whitetail institude greens at the same time. Hope what planted out does the weeds. Looking for a drill as in the past would cultivate and then drag seeds in. Spreading of seed even thought some say leave on top on ground does not work for me. Maybe to soon for the brassicas but i did plant some rape and kale in the spring and it does get tall with a lot of leaf area.
Gave up on corn. It is a good crop to plant but do not have the equipment to till under in the spring.
Have plots of clover and alfalfa and it appears it came back good again this year. So like the plots that I do not have to seed every year also. db

DB,
I bought a hand broadcast spreader, made by "Solo". Been very happy with it so far, will plant a wide variety of sized seeds. Runs about $50.

I have a 4 row corn, bean and sunflower planter with the variety of plates. Had a guy in Fargo custom make it for me. Works great. I'm slowly getting equipment little by little. Have a 80 hp Oliver now that I plow, disc, till and plant with. I bought a 7 foot King Kutter tiller last year and it works great. For knocking down the corn in the spring, I rented a 6 foot brush cutter from Bobcat in Mandan. $140 for the day. Knocked down all of my corn with a few hours of work. It shredded things nicely and ripped up most of the roots too. I will be dragging my 10 foot 1940s john deere disc over it this week and then it'll be ready for beans this year. Corn will be going in where the beans were last year.

I did try a small bag of Whitetail Institute "Beets and Greens" last year with very good results on a small plot.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got a separate small plot of clover. Planted corn and seeds last in this plot. Gonna give the beans and clover a go this year. I've had beans in it before but first time over seeding. I've tried turnips and brassicas before with poor results, might have been too late and not enough moisture.

I've over seeded the brassics a few times now. I am slowly doing it earlier each year it seems. Most of the companies said 4-5 weeks before first frost and I didn't get amazing results the first year. The second time doing it I did a full 8 weeks before anticipated first frost with much, much better results. Also, second time I was spreading the seed during a 1 inch type rain storm so I think that was one of the main reasons. One other main thing I did was plant the corn and beans running N/S vs E/W. This may have been a big thing too as the brassicas got more sunlight in the N/S rows.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Taylor:
Have a spreader like your and they work fine.
I assume then you use that spreader for the brassicas in your beans and corn.

I to find myself planting the brassicas sooner every year, depends on when it rains for the mositure but now shoot for early August. Like to see the brassicas at least two feet tall at frost.
When i first did the spreading i then used a light harrow to work seed in and it work fine. Instuction say not to so last two years i just spread and did not work in. Poor results. Also last year did spread in soybeans but no luck. I probably seed way over the recommend rate to seed.

Will go back to spreading and then using harrow depending on how the soil is. Can get a pony drill and may try that behind ranger in beans in August. Would like to purchase a 4-5 foot drill but they are not cheap. Packer would be nice.

Over time i have tried just about everything that was on the market.
But nothing like a pile of corn, 20 below and 2 feet of snow.
However I am sold on plots and for my plots the deer in my area just love eating on the buds of the soybeans (high protein) and after a killing frost the deer love the kale and rape. Used various winter greens from white tail institue and deer love them. Also winter oats the deer eat on well. Plant that also in August. If I have some winter wheat that gets planted to.
So I have decided to work with the soybeans, rape, kale and the winter greens along with winter oats. Some plots for white clover and alfalfa.
Did plant canola in august last year and they were flowering at frost, Deer ate them to the ground and the nice part was able to use round up for weeds. I think my son is sold on the canola so his main plot will be canola, beans and corn. beans and corn planted as soon as we can and the canola in august. I believe canola is a brassica. Tried turnips and radish but it seems they bring the damn moose in so quit those.

Grew up on a farm so have a little dirt in my blood and just love to watch the crops grow and then watch the deer. However son got cameras that sent the pictures to the computer so I think I am beginning to miss what the intend of all this was.
You know if one plants the kernels of corn a certain way in the ground the leaves will all come into the row and not down the row. db-2

- - - Updated - - -

Have an old 6 row JD planter made into 15 inch rows, hard for the deer to walk down these rows with their wide horns, you know,

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've given up on planting plots with different sized seeds.
Just cut the field in half. Do one side in half and the other in half.
My go-to to date in northern MN for brassica is July 25.
Years and years of f- ups n money here!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84