Frame packs/ and GPS for elk hunting

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure what Kuiu pack ndbwhunter was using, but my brother has the Icon 7200 and I have the Icon Pro 7200.
They are legit. We've packed out a few mule deer and an elk. There are as comfortable as I can expect while carrying around 100# or so. I don't have experience with any of the other listed packs, but the Kuiu Icons are extremely lightweight and can compress down to nothing, or expand to fit just about anything. That's my .02.

Mr Nice

Founding Member
Founding Member
The key to any pack is ensuring it fits you properly. I didn't know what I was doing when I bought my Eberlestock. It's a great pack and I used it to pack out several deer in the badlands without any troubles. Then I went on a real excursion to Kodiak for a goat hunt and soon realized that it wasn't the pack for me and unfortunately I had to rough it out for the rest of the week. Packing out excess of 100 lbs in a pack that doesn't fit properly is torture and I paid for it. Spending a week on the mountain with guys who know packs taught me a lot and I bought a properly fitted Kuiu upon my return and am extremely happy with it. A month later I packed out two mule deer in Montana and it was a night and day difference.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mr. Nice, which Kuiu?
I've used Blackhawk, Badlands 2800, and Eberlestock J34. I've had over 90 pounds in all of them, and I can say it sucks but I'm only about 150 so that might be part of it. The Eberlestock is built like a tank but a little heavy. Regardless, it's what I use for elk. I've said this many times before, when hunting in the mountains make sure your pack that you hunt with has the ability to carry a significant load out when you kill. When I'm hunting out of my Jeep with extra gear with, I bring an initial load out after the kill, then I grab my external frame pack for the rest.
One other thing I'm learning; have a couple guys ready for packing. I've packed a bull elk by myself before and I thought it might kill me. Two guys packing an elk is certainly much better. Three or four guys makes it a pretty good deal for everyone involved.

Mr Nice

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an Icon Pro 7200. The frame is the same between the 5200 and 7200 and for a few ounces more I went with the bigger pack. When I was on Kodiak between my guides 7200 and my Eberlestock we couldn't fit anything else in our packs. They were stuffed full packing out camp, a fully caped goat, a Sitka blacktail cape, and the meat from both animals per Alaskan law. It was a memorable trip off the mountain to say the least.

Tillerman2095

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you don't have a budget I would go with Kifaru. Although they are expensive their Frames are made to go with any pack they offer. Kifaru keys on customizing your own pack your way. There is a lot of good you tube videos on kifaru packs and how you can custumize them to your liking.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was wondering what everyone recommends or uses? would be using for elk hunting out west and mule deer in the badlands for the most part.

Looks like people that have forgotten more about packs than I know have that covered pretty well.

As for the GPS question. Are you going alone or bringing a buddy? What part of "out west" are you planning on hunting?

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kuiu Ultra 6000 packs on sale for 25% off. Couldn't resist. Will let you guys know how it turns out.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wore a buddies Kifaru and when i find a spare 7hundo laying around i will have one. With out really fitting to me it was a dream to have on with a bunch of weight.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
20161119_182150.jpg

Those are excellent knives. I've got 3 or 4 and have dressed 5 Elk and 4 Deer with them.

I haven't tried the pack though.

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Between some beers and a 15% off to Kifaru, I have a Kifaru pack that just got delivered.

I now have a Eberlestock Blue Widow for sale if anyone is interested. Also comes with the spike duffel, gun scabbard, bow bucket, belt pouch and some blood (probably could be washed out) PM me for more details.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Between some beers and a 15% off to Kifaru, I have a Kifaru pack that just got delivered.

I now have a Eberlestock Blue Widow for sale if anyone is interested. Also comes with the spike duffel, gun scabbard, bow bucket, belt pouch and some blood (probably could be washed out) PM me for more details.

If you want to part it out i would be interested in the spike duffel

- - - Updated - - -

assuming it would zip right in the j34 to

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member

How were you able to get 15% off at Kifaru? Military, or are they running an early Father's Day sale?

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wore a buddies Kifaru and when i find a spare 7hundo laying around i will have one. With out really fitting to me it was a dream to have on with a bunch of weight.

Do you know which frame he had?

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
How were you able to get 15% off at Kifaru? Military, or are they running an early Father's Day sale?

Kifaru had a promotion announced in a podcast for 15% off for a few days so I picked up one of the new frames and some accessories. Should of picked up a new pack as well at that time but still undecided what I want.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want to part it out i would be interested in the spike duffel

- - - Updated - - -

assuming it would zip right in the j34 to

I'm going to hold onto the spike duffel as long as I have the pack. It's very handy when packing in camp as you can unzip that stuffed with all the camp gear and go.

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
Finally coughed up the dough for a Kifaru this morning....can't wait to get my hands on it!!

tfleck29

Decided to go with the EXO mountain gear k2 3500. could not find a bad review about the pack! cant wait to get out and put it to work.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have an old cabelas Alaskan guide, best one that cabelas sold fifteen years ago. Always worked well because it fit me good. Packed out half dozen elk and a few mule deer out of the San Quan Mountains in Co. Now it hangs in garage collecting dust.:(

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88