Frosty Attic

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you need to be careful sealing can lights tight. When I did my remodel I did not use IC (insulation contact) rated lights. They cannot be sealed up tight with insulation or they can overheat and start a fire. I just went to R-42 in the attic and the inspector signed off on it.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the job I use a blowerdoor and manometer to pressurize ,depressurize,and zone pressure diagnostis,with thermal scan to find these things.

What kinds of contractors do this sort of work or is that fairly standard practice? Just wondering who to call...

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bottom line its how many years old --- and how long has it been like this --- If you dont have water spots or mold; the insulation looks good in the pic. Reality is its probably happen in the past and it doesnt happen on a daily basis (were suppose to be in global warming or global farce) you should be good to go.

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
They do make covers for non ic(insulation compatible)fixtures or you can make your own to seal them.I work for a weatherization agency,some of the community action agencies in the state work(for profit)you might try them,insulation contractors should be able to thermal scan,maybe blower door,and there are energy consultant/inspectors that do this type of work..I would talk to guys in your local weatherization agency,for name and numbers.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5