Frying pan ???

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to get me a cast iron pan I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Correction, I have an anniversary coming up soon. The wife needs a cast iron pan.

Ha, that's exactly what I got my wife for our sixth.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have 2 cast iron now and use them for most cooking. Also plan on expanding to a couple others, maybe a griddle, definitely a Dutch Oven. Any recommendations on what size for most cooking or what brands a person should look at? Lodge seems to make good stuff from my experience and price isn't that bad normally.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet getting your wives frying pans for an anniversary gift,;:;banghead did, and will get you laid!! ;:;badidea NOT!! :shame: ;:;boozer

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet getting your wives frying pans for an anniversary gift,;:;banghead did, and will get you laid!! ;:;badidea NOT!! :shame: ;:;boozer

frying-pan-smash.gif

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have 2 cast iron now and use them for most cooking. Also plan on expanding to a couple others, maybe a griddle, definitely a Dutch Oven. Any recommendations on what size for most cooking or what brands a person should look at? Lodge seems to make good stuff from my experience and price isn't that bad normally.
Go with Lodge.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a couple of cast iron skillets, a cast iron dutch oven, a cast iron griddle etc. I don't clean that much, I heat it until it's smoking and throw in ice. Anything that was stuck blows off in a cloud of steam. Rinse under hot water and oil before putting it away. When I say heat I mean until anything stuck turns to carbon. Very hot. Then throw in the ice.
I read somewheres that doing that will warp your pans. Not sure if its true but have always shyed away from doing this.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I have a wreck and it needs a good cleaning I boil water in mine and loosen things up then clean with a scotch bright pad under running water and rinse good Best way I have found to season is to cut up a package of bacon into bits and pretty much deep fry them in their own grease, I do this outside on the grill and let er smoke good.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go with Lodge.

- - - Updated - - -

I read somewheres that doing that will warp your pans. Not sure if its true but have always shyed away from doing this.

Can you warp cast iron? I don't know. Mine are nice and flat yet. Well, the real old one is flat, but all of the new ones have a little roundness to the bottom. Looked at some in Cabela's and they don't sit flat like my very old cast iron pan.

★★★★★ Legendary Member

You would lose that bet with my ex-wife. She was most appreciative when I got her a new or old skillet or dutch oven.

I have Griswold, Wagner and Lodge. I'm a real fan of the old iron but I have to admit that Lodge makes good stuff.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love cast iron but I don't use it for frying. Must be just me, but cast iron gets darn hot and stays hot but heats extremely unevenly. Not really what I like in a frying pan. I have a newer Lodge skillet and a an older dutch oven that I feel are both seasoned well and neither are what I would consider extremely non-stick. I love them for cooking in the over especially though.

I am in favor of the porcelain stuff anymore. Very nice so far!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 11