Garden?

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
When do you usually put in your garden? I know its still early...

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Around Grand Forks I usually shoot for a couple weeks before Memorial Weekend. This year probably much earlier than normal.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
memorial day weekend as a general rule in the western half of the state. Might get by doing it earlier but frost can be an issue

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can put in peas and lettuce in pretty early. Thought about doing that soon. Might have to cover some night though.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Started my onions last week from seed, got a few peppers and tomatoes going already but its still fairly early. Doesnt pay to put tender plants out till mid may at earliest usually.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Should a guys start some inside right now. My bell peppers, jalapenos, sarranos, and habaneros were a little late to the party. I had about 30 dozen tomatoes and couldn't make salsa.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
potato's should be planted on good Friday every year in ND, if you start even a few days later your potato's will loose quality.
some vodkas are made from potato's, and rye whiskey is not.

We are no longer gardeners, as my new place is all fancied up with perennials, trees, shrubs, roses, landscape rock, and water features. I will not have to spend any time effing around with weeds, and pesticides. Purchasing my salsa products from the farmers garden will be less satisfying this fall, but my salsa will still be better than any in the area, cause its not the vegetables that make the salsa, its how I mix them and prepare the final product.

I might have room for a beehive though:confused:

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have all my Tomatoes and Peppers growing in the house right now. Will get my Cucumbers started in the next week or so. I like to get a Month jump on the weather. I will have Tomatoes and peppers by late July.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know why I'm going to bother anyway, the pooch is going to dig them all up anyway.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is everyones favorite hot pepper? I used to grow quite a few serranos, but they are a little too hot for me! Im gonna try growing some poblano and aneheim this year for the first time. Along with green bell peppers of course and some Jalapinos...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, Ive got some Carolina Reapers flowering already also, in case anyone enjoys the burn.... If you live close, Ill be giving a few away most likely!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took a bite out of a serrano last summer. Should have check if milk was readily available prior to that adventure. uffda.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like poblanos but they aren't really hot more of a green pepper flavor, anaheim's got a good kick to them and I made some grilled pepper poppers a few times last year, scotch bonnets (not habaneros) from last year went well and have plenty of heat yet was able to tame it down by de-seeding.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
mrs johnr does all the pepper prep, when she for the first time sliced the Habaneros she ended up with a severe burning sensations in her fingers, she soaked her hands in milk, ice water, vinegar, anything she could to try to cool the burn of the pepper oils on her skin. Took a few days for the burn to subside. She has now found that wearing 2 pair of latex gloves on her hands helps the situation. 2 pair just to be safe, in the case of a rupture of a pair.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just planted all my onions today. Garlic is coming up nicely that I planted last fall. Did a spring planting of garlic as well just to see what I can come up with. Tomatoes, peppers, and celery (first time trying), and the herb garden is planted and waiting for the good weather on top of the refrigerator. Last year was my first year full out gardening and I learned a lot. Don't have a huge area to garden but enough to enjoy. Herb garden was about as fun as anything! Starting from seeds is surely more challenging but I like it better than plants from the greenhouse. I hope my early start yields a few more ripe fruits in August rather than September or October. We'll see!

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
For most things, wait until Mother's Day. Even then, you may have to cover them up. Remember last year was an early spring and we had a huge killing frost on May~20. If you don't want to cover, you can always gamble and water well at night. That's what the vineyards and fruit farmers do with frost. With it being dry, we are more prone to a killing frost as well.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to wait until the soil temps get high enough that the seeds won't rot in the ground and when the night time lows are in the mid 40's. Replanting a garden just sucks and Old Man Winter has a wicked streak and sick sense of humor. The last time we had to replant we had some of the early planting and most of the late planting all growing together and it made a substantial mess. The weeds make a big enough mess that I don't need to add to it myself. Happy Growing All!!!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still ice fishing, Drilled through 2'' of soft ice and hit another 16'' of good clear ice today. You guys will be running corn out the other end 3 or 4 weeks before ours is ripe.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will be starting tomatoes this weekend. The earliest I plant them is about May 20th. Peppers not until June. No real reason to plant any earlier. I did order some grafted tomatoes again. They are the first to produce and still producing at the end of the season. All of the tomatoes we eat are heirlooms. Except for the very good Big Beef hybrid.

Batman4277

I always plant potatoes on good Friday. peppers will be getting started today indoors. I like to place plants in a clear tote so I can set them outside and get them acclimated to the temperature changes. then I can just cover them up with the lids if temps aren't going to be to bad just to be safe, rather than bringing them inside all the time. I won't put them in the garden until the first full weekend of june, weather permitting. I normally have around 250 - 300 peppers plants so it is a big loss if they get frosted. good luck to all

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 42
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 14