Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Air dry in garage on a sheet of plywood or cardboard. Lay out so skin side down and not touching so all cut sides are exposed to air for about 5 days usually. they are ready to plant when no moisture is apparent on cut sides. LB
nice! thanks! Have you ever tried planting potatos in a 5 gal bucket? I want to try it..i have about 6-7 five gallon buckets i want to experiment with

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When are we going to get to plant MJ, we are surrounded now?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
nice! thanks! Have you ever tried planting potatos in a 5 gal bucket? I want to try it..i have about 6-7 five gallon buckets i want to experiment with
I have tried it and it works OK its just that I plant 500+ hills. I drilled half dozen 1/2 " holes in bottom for drainage and mixed 1/2 and 1/2 potting soil and sandy loam soil with about 1/4 cup 10-10-10- Fertilizer.. Keep watered well and once the plant blossomed I added another 1/4 cup fertilizer and poured the water to them. Got better than 5# per bucket that way. I bought a half dozen grow bags that are 10 gal size to try just for shits and giggles. I use Nordland Reds. LB

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well garden finally dried out a little so I got 540 hills of potatoes planted. Fingers and legs hurt like hell today. Muscles haven't worked like that for awhile. Start prepping for tomatoes and peppers will not be that bad. Maybe get my first planting of carrots and beets in too. Going to try the toilet paper trick with the carrots and beets. You get your seed bed ready and then roll out some TP and wet it down as you go so wind don't blow it around and then sprinkle the seed on the wet TP and you will be able to see the seeds. Cover with 1/4 of soil and tamp down with a piece of 2/4 and wet again and keep moist until seeds sprout. Just don't use scented TP. LB

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
LB , Last summer I found an old old hand potato planter that my Grandpa had. I haven't tried it yet but it looks like they work slick . The one I have has an fancy looking tube so you drop the seed in from the top. Such a simple design, it would be easy to build one.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well garden finally dried out a little so I got 540 hills of potatoes planted. Fingers and legs hurt like hell today. Muscles haven't worked like that for awhile. Start prepping for tomatoes and peppers will not be that bad. Maybe get my first planting of carrots and beets in too. Going to try the toilet paper trick with the carrots and beets. You get your seed bed ready and then roll out some TP and wet it down as you go so wind don't blow it around and then sprinkle the seed on the wet TP and you will be able to see the seeds. Cover with 1/4 of soil and tamp down with a piece of 2/4 and wet again and keep moist until seeds sprout. Just don't use scented TP. LB
Holy Jezus, do you sell potatoes commercially? I cant imagine needing that many spuds!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a very large garden cause my wife works at a clinic in Fargo. There is about 25 nurses and more than a half dozen doctors that work there so I sell a lot of fresh produce right there plus I give a lot to relatives and friends. I try to sell enough to cover my cost that way what I keep and can is free. Last year I figured I gave away about 2000.00 worth after I sold about the same amount. Its my hobby and its nice that it cost me very little and its nice to help out a few people that could use the free stuff. Makes me feel good. LB

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a very large garden cause my wife works at a clinic in Fargo. There is about 25 nurses and more than a half dozen doctors that work there so I sell a lot of fresh produce right there plus I give a lot to relatives and friends. I try to sell enough to cover my cost that way what I keep and can is free. Last year I figured I gave away about 2000.00 worth after I sold about the same amount. Its my hobby and its nice that it cost me very little and its nice to help out a few people that could use the free stuff. Makes me feel good. LB
It’s good for the soul.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you could sell gardening lessons and make 5x! But you'd have to deal with crazy-ass public and city folk which likely takes away the therapy aspect of being in the garden in the first place.....

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who has or has used one of these?

I think every homesteader had one or two varieties of those that sold for scrap iron at thier retirement auction. I'm sort of collecting them to fabricate more tools to pull behind my David Bradley two wheel tractor. That thing works like a charm, I cultivated 7 rows that are 120' long in about 15 minutes.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
The heat has spinach and lettuce bolting already. Guess it will be a two crop season in part of the garden.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a terrible garden I have this year. Fricken half the shit didnt germinate. 75’ of beets and not a single beet is up and for some dumb reason I cant grow a carrot to save my life.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
The heat isn’t helping. Carrot seed is supposed to be planted very shallow. But the heat dries the soil out quickly. Everything is coming up fine but the carrots are struggling. I’m afraid it’s going to be another hot dry summer.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a terrible garden I have this year. Fricken half the shit didnt germinate. 75’ of beets and not a single beet is up and for some dumb reason I cant grow a carrot to save my life.

Carrots are tough because they are planted so shallow and from my expierence they often get just enough moisture to germinate and then they dry out before they get a chance to come up or if you spray water and get a crust on top they can't break through the crust. We have tricky soil here that I am finally getting in better shape with lots of straw mulch but still pull chunks when I deep till in the fall. A couple years ago I laid some drip tape down the carrot rows and I was fascinated with the difference. I reused it last year with the same results so this year I broke down and laid drip tape in the whole garden and gardening has never been so easy. No more moving the old spray watering systems back and forth and then watering the weeds between the rows. . I roll it up in the fall with the cordless drill and bring it in. The 3 year old stuff is still holding up strong.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bonus is that you lay the drip tape before you plant and it double as a straight row marker for planting. I used the flat 5/8 stuff ordered in bulk so I have enough fittings to last a lifetime and 1000' of drip tape for right around $ 200. Best money Iv'e ever spent. That 1/4 inch stuff that works ok too for small areas but it would be a pain in the ars to do a big garden.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67