GMX For Antelope

TWN

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a question on bullet placement on goats with the GMX bullet. I am not a handloader and just stumbled into the 90 grain GMX in the Hornady Superformance line. Shooting a 25-06 with a 26" barrel and this is the only round I have found that this gun shoots worth a darn. I know it will tip over a goat with a shoulder shot, but can I shoot the ribs (save some meat) without worrying about tracking for miles? Other bullets are not an option, going to WY next week and I'm not going to experiment with any more ammo. Thanks -TW

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let me guess - newer Remington 700?

- - - Updated - - -

And to answer your question - I don't have any experience with the gmx but I really like Barnes. Same idea I guess as far as bullet design. I'd shoot with confidence

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
You will not have to track for miles with a lung shot. (which is also best target since 1/2 of their body is lungs)

Antelope go down easy... except for simple broken shoulder or leg without a bleed out. Then you are so skeeroo'd.

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
neck shot personaly haven't shot a deer or goat in the body for years

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shoulder. You're going to give up a hunk of meat roughly the size of a golf ball via mono-metal projectile.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shoulder. You're going to give up a hunk of meat roughly the size of a golf ball via mono-metal projectile.

yep - trying to "hit lung but not shoulder" seems like an unnecessarily difficult shot - and a recipe for a sad gutshot marathon

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whenever I gut an animal that is what my farts smell like for a couple days. Its oddly satisfying.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whenever I gut an animal that is what my farts smell like for a couple days. Its oddly satisfying.

People who work in a flower shops do their farts smell like flowers?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
People who work in a flower shops do their farts smell like flowers?

Dunno, but, grouse linger more so than deer (whitetail or Mule Deer), elk, caribou, pheasants, ducks, geese, antelope, moose, coyotes, fox, weasels, doves, partridge, or rabbits. Turkeys linger like grouse, the must be related. Ruffed grouse or sharptail, doesn't matter, they linger.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 56