Grass Seed

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, I have a few places in my yard where it seems like I have to plant grass seed every year. I put it down, water it, it grows and then after the winter it’s all dead and I have to do it again. What’s up with that?

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you planting an annual grass and not a perennial? The NDSU Soil Testing lab offers soil testing services for $20/sample. Take some samples (about a pint) from the good area and bad area. Send them in separately and have them tested. That can give you a lot of insite to the issue.

spinner7456

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 2 areas like that. 1 - where i put salt down in winter by shop door, and 2- where i tipped over my fertilizer spreader ;:;banghead

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 2 areas like that. 1 - where i put salt down in winter by shop door, and 2- where i tipped over my fertilizer spreader ;:;banghead
When my sidewalks get icey, I use cheap kitty litter. It has grip and the dark color speeds the melting process and it doesn't hurt my lawn like salt. This can create a little mud, but after a rain it's gone. For the excess fertilizer, about the only thing you can do is water the heck out of it.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Aren't too many household tasks more frustrating than growing grass seed.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
A grass seed that has surprised me on how well it works is Agassiz Seed (white bag) in a 60# bag from the Runnings store on the Strip. I laid down some seed last summer and thought it was a bust days later because we didn't have any rain all of June or July. In August, when the raid did come, the sprouts quickly popped up and filled in the area I worked on. I'm going to buy another bag and overseed my lawn this summer to help it fill in all over the place.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^^^^must not have any of them dam little birds around^^^^^^

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm having to do this every year as well. The giant maple in my backyard casts a pretty big shadow so I've always seeded shade mix in the back. This year I went to straight shade seed. 8 days went by before it sprouted. Watering twice a day still at 3 weeks. Now, how to get rid of the dead spots from two dogs.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm having to do this every year as well. The giant maple in my backyard casts a pretty big shadow so I've always seeded shade mix in the back. This year I went to straight shade seed. 8 days went by before it sprouted. Watering twice a day still at 3 weeks. Now, how to get rid of the dead spots from two dogs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00063MS56/?tag=nodakangler10-20

We give our dogs 2 tablets with each meal, so 4 per day. They love them and I swear it has helped my yard a ton! I still get some dead spots, but not many at all any more. If you do try them, give them the whole summer to see if they make a difference for you. Also, we do them year round.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84