Costco VS Sam's Club

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have both..Sams is cheaper..costco is nicer. Only thing I buy at Costco is gas and random items when I go to get gas or some organics.. Most purchases for food and random stuff come from sams. Protein shakes are almost $5 more at Costco then sams..box of chips almost $6 more for same thing...these prices were about a year ago from when I compared them. I should probably check again. I believe some of you ordinary every day things such as eggs, milk etc are probably close in price to be competitive.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sams for us in Bismarck. Costco some not to much, daughter does Costco suits her needs better. All about gas mostly.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
We were supposed to get a Sam's, quite a few years ago at 21st Ave NW and the west bypass, residents that lived on the south side of the field it was to be built on threw a big hissy fit that it would be nothing but people spending the night in campers in the parking lot and paper blowing all over. So Sam's backed out. :mad:

We do 90% of our grocery shopping at Walmart, Market Place is extremely high priced.

Make a trip to Bismarck twice a year to Sam's. Walked thru Costco a couple times just to look and compare and decided Sam's was cheaper.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I scored some long sleeve HUK shirts a couple years ago at Sam's for less than $20/each. Meat is consistently good quality and low price so good place to get pork shoulder if making deer or elk sausage.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I love the Kirkland whiskey at $18.99 for a 1.75. They get some good small batch Bourbons in May-June that are pretty good too.
Never had it..can you compare it to something?

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have costco and have been very happy with them. My biggest complaint over the past 9months is you can't find a prime grade rib roll. I have asked and was told the warehouse determines what they get they don't.....the price of beef is so high we haven't been getting as much prime in...etc. My wife was there yesterday and all they had was bone in....Does Sams usually have prime grade? I like to cut my own steaks and was planning on making a prime rib for new years.
Yes Sams typicall has prime steaks at my club. Tenderloins, ribeyes, sirloins. Prime sirloins are my favorite because they are very tender and no wasted fat for $9-10 a pound. Only other meat I buy from them is chicken breasts, wings, and fresh ground Patties. No grocery store can touch their prices most days

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since moving to AZ, we have both. Had just Sam's in ND as Costco hadn't built in Bismarck back then.
My bride prefers Sam's for hamburger and we get our steaks at Costco.
Have you tried Costco's boneless pork chops? Basically the back straps cut 2'' thick and tender as all get out.
If you drink booze (I don't) Costco has some great prices. Have picked up booze for the neighbors a few times when at Costco.
Bought a 85'' Samsung TV through Costco a couple weeks ago and had it delivered to the house. Delivery took awhile as we are 70 miles from the Valley.
We do a lot of online buying from Sam's as they are cheaper than Costco for online ordering, at least for the things we order. Sam's ships it for free to our house.
Both are getting more expensive but what isn't nowadays?
Boneless pork chops at Sams are really good too. Nice thick cut and under $3 a pound can’t go wrong especially when the grocery wants over $5 . Cost in a good bbq rub and grill them and they turn out amazing

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do either of these places have competive prices on most items ? Last time I was in Costco I wasn't impressed with the prices they had on what I was shopping for. We dropped Sam's club a few years ago because there were no bargains to be had , now Costco seems the same way. .
If you don’t have kids it might be hard to justify sams or Costco. Prices are typically better but you have to buy in big quantities. I liked Costco better because of the unique food options but Sams was closer for me. Fresh fruit and dairy products is one of the big ones we save on. Tires were a good deal too the last time I bought some.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Need boots for a kid? Only see mens 8.5 and 9 left. Bismarck Sam's
20240104_133345.jpg

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I stopped at Costco in Fargo yesterday at about 5:30 while passing through. My wife got us a membership a couple months ago but this is my first time visiting. I felt like cattle being herded through the store. I grabbed a couple thing then got the hell out of there. I don't tolerate crowds very well. Is it always that busy on a random Thursday? We frequent the GF Sams Club and even at it's busiest I have not seen it that crowded.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5