Guys with a Yeti....

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lotta privileged white folks on this thread I see…#$%^&>

;:;popcorn

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
We just bought a Yeti. Finding a cooler is like finding a boat around town, slim pickings. I was going to buy a Lifetime brand cooler at walmart but hesitated. Did another weekend in 100 degree weather and said F-it, I'm buying a decent cooler. Went back to walmart and they didn't have 1 cooler on the shelves. Found a Yeti at Ace Hardware and pulled the trigger. It is pretty amazing how cold everything stays in it. For the prize it better last me the rest of my life.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
She kidnapped me...haha
Thats one lucky chick

I can totally relate.

I flew to Phoenix this past spring, and my buddy and I got split up on the plane. I was just chillin' in my seat, and my new neighbor comes and sits down, and starts chatting while waiting to take off.

She made Megan Fox look "meh".

We got off the plane and my buddy says "wow, you had good scenery on the flight".

I said "yeah, I bet when she got up this morning she still loved her husband, and now just look at what I did to her life".

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We just bought a Yeti. Finding a cooler is like finding a boat around town, slim pickings. I was going to buy a Lifetime brand cooler at walmart but hesitated. Did another weekend in 100 degree weather and said F-it, I'm buying a decent cooler. Went back to walmart and they didn't have 1 cooler on the shelves. Found a Yeti at Ace Hardware and pulled the trigger. It is pretty amazing how cold everything stays in it. For the prize it better last me the rest of my life.

I was gifted a Yeti 65 from my kids a couple years ago. I really like my Yeti and how the ice last. Someone gave me some advice when I got my cooler and I do this every time. To help your ice retention, he said to fill your cooler with your garden hose at least a couple hours before you plan to use. This cold water will prep by getting your insulation cool as well. I stole a couple of my wife's Glad plastic storage containers that she would put bars or cookies in. I fill them up about 1/3 to 1/2 and put them in the freezer. These are useful to lay on the bottom and or line the sides of the cooler. Put a few beverages in and top with some cubed ice. Ice last for a several days. To help it out and not leave it exposed to these 100 degree temps helps a lot. I try to have it in the camper during the hottest part of the day.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was gifted a Yeti 65 from my kids a couple years ago. I really like my Yeti and how the ice last. Someone gave me some advice when I got my cooler and I do this every time. To help your ice retention, he said to fill your cooler with your garden hose at least a couple hours before you plan to use. This cold water will prep by getting your insulation cool as well. I stole a couple of my wife's Glad plastic storage containers that she would put bars or cookies in. I fill them up about 1/3 to 1/2 and put them in the freezer. These are useful to lay on the bottom and or line the sides of the cooler. Put a few beverages in and top with some cubed ice. Ice last for a several days. To help it out and not leave it exposed to these 100 degree temps helps a lot. I try to have it in the camper during the hottest part of the day.
I fill half gallon milk cartons with water then freeze them, cooler holds these chunks for a hot 3 day weekend, the cubes might sometimes melt, but those blocks are still there holding the melted water ice cold. Works really well

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member

Pre-cooling a Yeti is a must. Frozen water bottles work nice as well, plus you can drink them after they melt a bit.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Silicon bread pans are great to also make great ice blocks. You can keep refilling them over a week and have a great supply. The ROI is pretty short compared to buying blocks at the gas station.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Regardless of the cooler you use, pre-cooling and using block ice or frozen plastic jugs or bottles is the way to go. Pre-cooling your cooler makes just as much sense as pre-cooling any fridge or freezer you purchase before actually putting things in it to stay cold.
Cubed ice is great in a mixed drink or even if you just like the sound it makes when grabbing a beer, but if your goal is to keep things colder longer, cubed ice is not the way to go if you want to be efficient.

On my camping, hunting or fishing trips I use frozen gallon juice bottles 100% of the time. Been using some of the same ones for years.
Buying a case or two of bottled water and freezing it is great also for small coolers and to fill space in large coolers. As someone mentioned above you get an ice cold drink of water whenever you want it also.

I’m glad someone finally clued me into this. Paying big money for a cooler may be all fine and dandy if you have the extra coin but learning how to efficiently use whatever cooler you have is just as important, and definitely more important with low end coolers like us poor folks have to use.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88