Hail destroys solar farm.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member

Wally World

★★ Legendary Member
Wally, solar decreased the impacts of the storm. Natural gas supplies were curtailed two days before blackouts began. BTW natural gas industry was able to charge emergency rates for supplies and reaped hefty profits because of their negligence to prepare after previous storm. Nice read if you are really interested.
https://www.congress.gov/117/meeting/house/114399/documents/HHRG-117-CN00-20220215-SD004.pdf
That story is all far left wing propaganda. More fake news along with the biggest hoax in American history of Climate Change...All garbage

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
That story is all far left wing propaganda. More fake news along with the biggest hoax in American history of Climate Change...All garbage

I should know better, but I'm going to bite on this one anyway. As a classically trained geologist, I can assure you that climate stability is not necessarily the norm. Put a marker on the ground and I would bet everything I have that the climate for that particular spot has "changed" over the past couple hundred years.

Since most of us live in ND, the absolute easiest way to point out that things are not the same as XX years ago is with water on the ground. In the 1980s the NDGF had less than 200 fisheries they managed/stocked. Since then the lakes across ND that are what we hydrologists consider semi-closed basins have been rising and as a body of water gets deep enough the NDGF throws fish in them and we are now around 470 managed fisheries. Devils Lake may be the poster child for this, but there are lakes all across ND that have been rising over the past 30+ years. Rice Lakes in Ward and Emmons county are a couple of good examples, so is Horsehead, Sibley, Lake 5, Stober, Alkaline, Twin Lakes, Boom Lake, and the darn list goes on and on. If you drive across ND using Highway 2, 200, or I-94 you will see a great number of water bodies that have cormorant roosts in the form of dead cottonwood trees anywhere from 50-150 yards out from the shoreline. Those trees lived for 80+ years on the shore of those lakes before dying as the water rose. These lakes are rising because something has changed in the past XX number of years in that area. Heck, the USGS biological station by Jamestown along with the entire farming community of ND have documented/seen the expansion of row crops that need a longer growing season. In fact the growing season in ND is now some 2+ weeks longer than it was in the early 1900s. Monsatan may want to take credit for the expansion of row crops, but a longer growing season is at least as responsible for the success of corn, sunflowers and beans across ND.

I am not a doom and gloom person when it comes to a change in the climate because I am convinced the humans on this planet have long proven their ability to adapt to a change in conditions, but ignoring the fact that things have changed comes with great peril if one is to continue on as if it's 1900.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I should know better, but I'm going to bite on this one anyway. As a classically trained geologist, I can assure you that climate stability is not necessarily the norm. Put a marker on the ground and I would bet everything I have that the climate for that particular spot has "changed" over the past couple hundred years.

Since most of us live in ND, the absolute easiest way to point out that things are not the same as XX years ago is with water on the ground. In the 1980s the NDGF had less than 200 fisheries they managed/stocked. Since then the lakes across ND that are what we hydrologists consider semi-closed basins have been rising and as a body of water gets deep enough the NDGF throws fish in them and we are now around 470 managed fisheries. Devils Lake may be the poster child for this, but there are lakes all across ND that have been rising over the past 30+ years. Rice Lakes in Ward and Emmons county are a couple of good examples, so is Horsehead, Sibley, Lake 5, Stober, Alkaline, Twin Lakes, Boom Lake, and the darn list goes on and on. If you drive across ND using Highway 2, 200, or I-94 you will see a great number of water bodies that have cormorant roosts in the form of dead cottonwood trees anywhere from 50-150 yards out from the shoreline. Those trees lived for 80+ years on the shore of those lakes before dying as the water rose. These lakes are rising because something has changed in the past XX number of years in that area. Heck, the USGS biological station by Jamestown along with the entire farming community of ND have documented/seen the expansion of row crops that need a longer growing season. In fact the growing season in ND is now some 2+ weeks longer than it was in the early 1900s. Monsatan may want to take credit for the expansion of row crops, but a longer growing season is at least as responsible for the success of corn, sunflowers and beans across ND.

I am not a doom and gloom person when it comes to a change in the climate because I am convinced the humans on this planet have long proven their ability to adapt to a change in conditions, but ignoring the fact that things have changed comes with great peril if one is to continue on as if it's 1900.
Glaciers, Western Interior Seaway, etc...happened before we were here. Climate change is what it is: Climate change. I remember an old George Carlin bit where he claimed we were arrogant to believe we could destroy planet...said maybe Earth allowed us to be here only to create a protective plastic shell.

Wind turbines, solar panels, electric vehicles, and banning gas ovens will have exactly zero effect on Climate Change, which is going to historically happen whether we're here or not.

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Republicans can change the climate, but are unable to change the outcome of an election

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Climate has and will continue to change regardless of us. But the left will never stop blaming Republicans because there is way too much money and power at stake!

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
WD, Current climate change due to human causes has been known for over a hundred years. This is nothing new. The green house effect was understood before the industrial revolution. When coal began its slow rise people understood how the increase of carbon dioxide would effect climate. Again, nothing new.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If we really wanted power that was always there with least affect on the environment the new nuclear technology we have today would be used. I would really like to see the subsidies put in to ethanol used for crp. Take bad crop land out of production and put back into grass and the wildlife would flourish.

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Green new deal/climate change is all about getting their hands on our tax dollars. Once the majority of people figure that out, they will have to come up with a new scam. Same shit, different day

Wally World

★★ Legendary Member
Green new deal/climate change is all about getting their hands on our tax dollars. Once the majority of people figure that out, they will have to come up with a new scam. Same shit, different day
Absolutely...The politicians and globalists couldn't give a rats ass about global warming. It's all about money, power, and control over the minions.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

I was at MAFB for eleven years. SW of the base and SE of the old chapel was a decent size lake. I saw it dry up to the point of growing wheat(?...) in it's basin like it was never there to return to full pool in 2011. You're right. Climate does change. Don't prove "Sheldon Cooper" correct.

1688268659100.png

1688268811662.png

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wally, on the topic of large solar plants, Texas avoided reaching crises levels with solar outproducing coal plants during the recent heat dome event. I believe solar accounted for 20% of electricity produced on their grid.
Yeah I saw the graphs too. The solar was bringing in a ton of power…. While the sun was shining. There was articles that said wind and solar had been keeping the grid going but I didn’t see anywhere where the fossil fuels fell off.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
WD, Current climate change due to human causes has been known for over a hundred years. This is nothing new. The green house effect was understood before the industrial revolution. When coal began its slow rise people understood how the increase of carbon dioxide would affect climate. Again, nothing new.
Global warming is needed unless you want an ice age to return, only 14,000 years ago North America was covered in ice. The climate is always changing and mankind will adapt

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Global warming is needed unless you want an ice age to return, only 14,000 years ago North America was covered in ice. The climate is always changing and mankind will adapt
Oddly enough, a lot of the literature suggests a rapid warming would precede the next ice age.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rising water levels in lakes has little to do with climate change. What is happening is all the small ponds are being drained, and they flow to the lowest elevation which is all the new fishing lakes. Unfortunately they are also changing these lakes to hydrological discharge lakes, and their salinity will increase each year to the point they will not support fish. All of North Dakota is a moisture deficit environment so answers to rising water levels in some lakes is not evidence of global change as linked to natural phenomenon. The change that may occurred would be that do to wetland drainage resulting in less water surface area resulting in less atmospheric moisture we become even dryer. Lower moisture content of soils at higher elevation will require irrigation. Irrigation will dissolve soil minerals and move those minerals to lower elevations turning those new fish lakes into chemical sumps.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. Rising water levels in lakes has little to do with climate change. What is happening is all the small ponds are being drained, and they flow to the lowest elevation which is all the new fishing lakes. 2. Unfortunately they are also changing these lakes to hydrological discharge lakes, and their salinity will increase each year to the point they will not support fish. 3. All of North Dakota is a moisture deficit environment so answers to rising water levels in some lakes is not evidence of global change as linked to natural phenomenon. The change that may occurred would be that do to wetland drainage resulting in less water surface area resulting in less atmospheric moisture we become even dryer. Lower moisture content of soils at higher elevation will require irrigation. Irrigation will dissolve soil minerals and move those minerals to lower elevations turning those new fish lakes into chemical sumps.

1 Wrong.

2. Define what "hydrological discharge" means to you.
Evaporative discharge? Loss to groundwater? Loss to streams?

3. Inadequate understanding there of how this works. If it were actually that simple and true, we would eventually be a desert.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 46
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 17
  • This month: 16