Solar Farm

missingfish

Has anyone heard about the commercial sized solar farm that is going up in South Dakota? Sounds like it is right next to Lake Oahe and over 3,000 acres to start with. Wonder what toxic walleye tastes like?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is in my county it is right across the road from new everts resort. It is still along ways from even starting the permitting process. There was a meeting in Akaska on Saturday and over 100 people turned out to it to oppose it. It would make it a ecological waste land. No deer no pheasants its a big corridor for migrating birds. I would not want to live beside it most the power would be shipped out. The panels contain toxic material and the hail or storms could break it and leach in the ground it is where the Web water in take is. It has been said it would raise the average temp 20 degrees in the area who would want to live there. Problem is our county is going broke. I moved here in 2002 and they are fighting about the jail and never resolved any thing so it got closed and now the transporting of prisoners is costing lots of money. People form Selby and Mobridge get along like the bloods and crips. There have been a lot of people already showing up to the county commission meets to oppose it. Many letters to the editor against it we already got conned in to the awful wind towers and we dont need this. Green energy is a farce and would not stand on its own if it was not for the govt subsidizing it.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plus, the Walworth County commissioners are constantly fighting each other over other issues, and their meetings over the last few years are dramatic comedy.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The laughing stock of the state is an understatement
I enjoy reading the articles in the Mobridge Tribune of the county commission meetings and their minutes.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
It wouldn't surprise me if opponents or kids will drive by and unload their 22's out the window into the field of panels.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Appears there is only one solution to save this earth.

No more babies. In about i would say 50 years it will all be fine. Youngest would be 50 and in another 50 all gone. db

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not supporting solar farms but in regards to hail we have used solar wells to pump water to cattle for a long time. The first one is probably 25 years old and still pumping water. The others are a bit newer and all are working fine. They've all been through hail storms and never been damaged.

In regards to solar farms, I've heard about in other states what a mess it can lead to. Company comes in and offers a landowner a long term lease. Money is pretty good but in those farms they had to pour concrete pillars or foundation to mount panels on. Something like 4 feet deep. In the contract the company agrees to clean all this up and put the land back the way it was but the way they get out of it is to either file bankruptcy and quit or another company buys the solar farm and basically gets out of the contract. Landowner is left with the mess of all these concrete pillars in the ground making it virtually impossible to farm without a major cost in cleanup.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84