Have to say goodbye to TD tonight.

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have to say goodbye to my 1st dog TD tonight. As much energy as he has in the story he has been blind for a few years and got along fine. We made the decision because he has stopped eating, drinking and lost most of his hearing. Have also put $3000 dollars into a new hip, but that has also gave out on him. He has been at my parents farm the last few years because of the room they have at the farm and the fact he loves it out there.

Here is a story from way back in 2006 on nodakoutdoors when I used to post alot more. IMG_0296.jpg

As another Phesant season in Nodak comes to a close, I will remeber this one as my 1st with my lab T.D. ( don't say it to fast or it sounds like the reason all men want to watch the girls gone wild videos).

Looking back it was a year of 1sts for me. I got T.D. despite my better judgement and the judgements of many others. Including a girlfriend that now knows i am not the smelliest man in our house. I had always had dogs on the farm growing up, but i actually was probably what you would call a cat person. Now before you question my sexual preference, I want you to know that I was an all-conference offensive-linemen in college and can go days without showering if needed. I went the cheap route i bought the cheapest lab i could find, free! I brought him home and he proceded to crap on my carpet (i rent) so this was a concern of mine.
Once we finally got that potty taining thing outta the way , I proceded to try to tame the beast. Again despite my better judgement and never having trained a dog before, i thought i knew better than those idiots in books such as; gun dog and water dog and also those inexpierenced nitwits in the 20 or so videos i purchased. I mean how hard can it be? I first tried to leash train T.D. he didn't like that. I thought to myself, self? How do i leash train a dog when all he wants to do is eat and chase anything that comes across his path? (True story) I proceded to put a piece of hotdog on the end of a stick and have my girlfriend lead T.D. around while following the hotdog. Now if you have never seen this sight before and want to make a fool out of yourself i suggest you try this exact method of leash training your puppy.
Next came fetch. T.D. took to this instantly which was a nice break from the hotdog fiasco. One problem though, he would go get the throw dummy and drop it in the vicinity of anywhere from 100 to 200 yard aways from me. Now if i was up to running after wounded phesants in the fall i bet this would be good enough, but no i am pretty lazy and did not want to turn phesant hunting into the Boston Marathon, so I went out on a limb and gave him a treat when he would bring me the dummy and lo and behold it worked!
The next thing i thought i would try is the actual hunting part. TD and i would go for walks through some of the best phesant country i know....actually we walked around the trees of the local softball field. This presented another problem, wooden poles. Now you may not think this would be a problems for dogs, but let my tell you a young black lab hitting a wooden pole at full speed makes a pretty horrible sound. While i thinking whether or not to enroll my dog in to Special Ed. classes that would teach him how to avoid wooden poles, i had another idea, teach him to stop and stay!! By gosh it worked! He has not hit a pole for 6 months!
Skipping ahead a few months TD and i went out for our 1st hunt. Opening day of grouse season. It was 70 degrees and i had a hyper dog, it does not mix. I wondered why this dog, who i had witnessed run anywhere from 2-5 miles in an all out sprint did not want to hunt grouse? So i went home and the dog (by this time i was not calling him TD it was either the dog or god damit you stupid *%^&!, how he learned him name i will never know) drank roughly a gallon of water. I thought hmmm he must be a bit dehydrated.
Well as fall went along and temps dropped TD and I were getting along pretty well with this hunting thing until a weekend in late october. I was going to go do some hunting back at mom and dad's farm, but i decided to sneak in a quick hunt before i left for the weekend. The dog and i found a slough that looked birdy and proceded to walk it. Big mistake, there we no birds in the slough but we did find one ticked off porcupine. Now this was not TD's 1st expierence with something other than a phesant. A few weeks earlier we were in a slough, i thought he had the bird corned and i told him to get em. TD jumped on the catails and all i could hear was a growl and a yelp. All i saw on the way out of that slough( I was running as fast a 300lb guy can go) was a little black streak go by me in the passing lane. Anyway, back to porcupine. TD came out of that slough looking like he tried to lick a pin coushin, it was not pretty. I took him to the vet who pulled all of the quills out despite TD's trying his darndest to keep them in his mouth.
This was not the end of the weekend. TD seemed well enough to travel, so He and i went home to test our luck. Well being a young dog that did not have many hunting years under his belt, he decided the cows in the pasture were more interesting than the phesants in the shelterbelt. TD learned an important lesson that day, there is a reason why we do not have free range cattle in southeast north dakota the greatest advecary keeping dogs from ruling all cows, electric fences! after consoling TD and cursing the cows that were pointing and laughing we ended up getting our 1st limit together, despite TD's best effort to process our quary in his mouth.
To make a a long story a little less longer, today was our last day to hunt this year and i ended the year like i started it. Missing a rooster at 10 yds and blaming the dog for not knocking it on the head and handing it to me.
I learned many things in my year of firsts: 1. Dog farts smell worse than the worst human farts, 2. when a dog in your house barks a 3am listen to him (another story altogether), 3. If you are running a dog, unless you like the smell of poop, slow you vehicle down on a windy day, and give him a chance to go to the bathroom and finally, 3. If you not a dog person, but love to hunt, get one you will never go without one again.

beer.gif
I have way to much time on my hands.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the negative side: My Condolences and prayers to you and your family. On the positive side: My Congratulations on being blessed with the privilege of working with a good dog!!!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been on this rollercoaster myself a couple times.
Sorry for your loss

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome story i have a 13 year old lab i dread the day i have to make that decision

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sorry about your situation. Do yourself a huge favor and get a pup soon.

Last edited:

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sorry about you're situation. Do yourself a huge favor and get a pup soon.

Much as I love that darn dog I know next month Ill be getting a better buddy. My wife and I's 1st child is due march 25th, a probably no so little boy(the measurements they do are saying hes going to be a monster). I think the new dog is gonna have to wait.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tough deal for all of us when this day comes,its never easy,but when the pup is suffering its time...

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
rainbow-bridge-pet-sympathy-poem.jpg
Sorry for your loss, its a hard decision to make but you did the right thing.

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just had to do the same thing a few weeks ago. My dog was 12 and even though his mind, vision, and hearing was all good he also stopped eating, drinking, and had lost 15 pounds in the course of a month. The vet told me it was time and I could tell in his eyes that he knew it was the end. The decision to say goodbye is never easy but you did the right thing. I bought a new pup a couple weeks ago and although i know he will be a good dog and that he is intelligent but its never the same as the one you lost. I am convinced that every time you lose a pet you lose a little bit of yourself each time thats the worse part of having a dog is that they dont live longer.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Much as I love that darn dog I know next month Ill be getting a better buddy. My wife and I's 1st child is due march 25th, a probably no so little boy(the measurements they do are saying hes going to be a monster). I think the new dog is gonna have to wait.

Your original pic displays your first big vet bill. I'm getting there myself. I'm sorry for your pain friend. Get a mutt IMHO when the time comes.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Norm,

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family...thank you for sharing your story and congratulations on the pending arrival of your First Child...life will never be the same!!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm just sorry man. TD's expression shows everything one would ever want with a sporting dog. I guess it's time now. I'm with you for whatever that means.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
all the best to you as it really sux... also been through this just last year... time and thoughts of a new puppy are the only cures...

good luck...

campcook

Founding Member
Founding Member

Jessie,
There’s a new grave in myyard today, down by the water, shaded by a grove of Russian olives. A peaceful, resting place for the remains ofmy faithful hunting partner, Jessie. She gave us almost 14 years. Mayshe rest in peace.
She lost her appetite when Iwas fishing in Alaska. Her dog fooddidn’t appeal to her and Lisa fixed her scrambled eggs and crawled into herkennel and fed her. When she finished hereggs she reached up and licked the tears off Lisa’s face.
She was an Englishsetter/pointer drop dog of boundless energy and focus. Always a lean hunting machine she nowresembled a thin skeleton of her old self. She rallied when I came home and she devoured a pair of pancakes butsoon after she retreated back to her listless ways. Occasionally she would lift her head off herpillow bed but, her tail always wagged. She didn’t whimper or appear to be in pain, just tired and used up. Her puppy like behavior appeared goneforever. However, when I opened the gateon her kennel run she would take 3 or 4 steps out and go on point, she knewthere was a bird out there somewhere and slowly her head would turn until shespotted a robin. She’d stalk on shakyback legs, intent on completing her last mission.
I always thought the end wouldcome when the two of us would go on a hunt and only one of us would comeback. It really didn’t matter which ofus it was. We had a good life, chasingpheasants during the best of years in the Dakota’s. A man and dog can’t ask for much else.
She came to us as afreebee. A Dr. who gained notoriety afew years ago with his “lead in venison” revelations gave her to me. She was the result of a hunting accident inNevada and was born on Christmas Day in 1996. We brought her home around Valentine’s Day. Cute, healthy and spry, she immediatelyingratiated herself with the lady of the household by crapping on the diningroom floor. The smell that permeated theclosed up house in the middle of winter sent everyone outdoors for cleanair. Everyone that is, except me. I wasin charge of clean up. That was a first inseries misadventures that would characterize her early life. Independent, free spirit, smart, call herwhat you will but, I’m sure for the first year or so she thought her name was“gawdamit“.
She was, as a pup, the mostincorrigible little bitch you ever saw. She would defy all direction and command and do as she damn wellpleased. Always wanting to hunt theadjacent quarter, chase flying birds to hell and back and eat a dead bird ifgiven a chance. I had a bead on her more than once and the lord knows how much self-disciplineit took not to squeeze the trigger but, she had a nose. Her nose kept her alive and eventuallycreated the best “little white dog” many of us have ever hunted behind.
The change came when we bothcame to the realization that she was the smartest of this pair. Once I accepted the fact that she could andshould be trusted to hunt and find the birds, life became easier. The issue however was control. What good is a dog who can find birds butthey happen to be a half mile away. She’s on point and I’m wondering if the hike is worth it. Heaven forbid if she’s on posted land.
Shock collars are a wonderfulinvention. They give new and immediatecredence to behavior modification. Inthis case it didn’t take much. One zapsent her cart wheeling and when she realized the unpleasantries associated withbad behavior she came around. Oh, herexuberance would take her out a little far at times but the beeper on hercollar brought her back and she’d keep her range respectable.
Life with “Jess” gave newmeaning to adventure. We hunted hard anddiscovered a lot about each other. Wecommunicated at times telepathically and that coupled with the trust factorenabled a bond to grow and solidify.
Once while hunting land nearLong Lake her point locked up an old rooster and my shot was relativelyeasy. However, the bird didn’t drop, nofeathers were ruffled and he soared over paralleling tree rows and out of sight. Jess took off across the stubble and while ashort blast from the whistle would have normally brought her back, she justkept going. Minutes passed and beforelong we saw her trotting back with the bird in her mouth. How she knew that was a dead bird flying I’llnever know but it was a sight to behold and a story worth telling.
Hunting along the Heart Rivernorth of Carson we watched a hawk knock a meadowlark out of the air. The stricken bird dropped into the water andafter several attempts the hawk was able snatch the bird from its waterygrave. Flying directly at us the raptorfinally saw us at a range of a few feet, so close we felt the wind from itswings as it changed course.
Our most mystifying adventurehappened along the Otter Creek north of Flasher. We were alone enjoying a beautiful fall dayand working hard for our birds. Jess washypoglycemic and I always carried dog biscuits and a bottle of honey to giveher an energy shock periodically through the day. Long towards late afternoon we stopped on ahillside to take a break. The vistabefore us was stunning. Rolling prairiewith coulees and wooded draws as far as the eye could see. It was a magnificent sight. Sitting on a flat rock I dug her treats outof my pack and started to prepare her snack. I’m not sure if it was twitch of her ears or the low whine in her throatthat interrupted my task and drew my attention to her. Sitting on her rump, as focused as if onpoint she stared across the rolling prairie. I followed her gaze and there, about a hundred yards out were 3 Indianson painted ponies. Not wanting tobelieve my eyes I looked away, and then looked back, they were stillthere. “You see them to don’t you girl”I whispered. Her eyes were locked on theapparition, both of us awed by the sight before us. I started to take notice of theirappearance. Dressed in hides of sortsthey carried primitive bows with few arrows and one had a lance. We were looking at a hunting party fromanother dimension, another time. Thetime passed much too quickly. The one Ipresumed to be the leader of the party looked at us, then as if on command theytrotted off and disappeared. Thereverence of the moment was not lost. Wesat there for a bit before Jess broke her concentration and started nosingaround for her treat. I looked for hoofprints or anything that might authenticate our sighting but found nothing andnow it’s only me who carries that memory.
Our last hunt took place onthe NTR ranch in central North Dakota. The bird population in that area had steadily been increasing and I feltsufficient enough to hunt a few of the old long tails. Todd was with me, Jessie was old and thesedays we only hunted her for an hour or two. Nothing strenuous, just an easy stroll. We decided to hunt a series of small cattail sloughs in an old naturaldrainage surrounded by corn and wheat stubble. We always found birds there.
The first half acre sloughproduced a hen. While the prairie windwas blowing at about 25 to 35 mph straight in our face we headed towards thesecond slough. Forty yards out Jesswent on point. We knew birds were in theslough, Jess was in stealth mode, we kept walking.
As we closed in, Jess pickedher way into the cattails, I followed while Todd skirted on the edge. Suddenly the slough erupted in a cacophony ofcackling and wing beats as a dozen birds rose, wings beating against the ripecattails sending a cloud of puff and seed straight into my face. I had cattail fuzz in my mouth, in my nose,in my eyes. I couldn’t see, I couldn’tshoot and the sight of my predicament must have been hilarious. Todd waited for my shot; he figured it wouldbe an easy double. When he saw mypredicament he scored a double of his own and Jess went about picking up thebirds. We continued our hunt to the thirdslough and filled out following the fence line back to the truck. At the truck we snacked on venison sticks anda cold beer. Jess drank her fill of coldwater and shared a venison stick or two then she was off, across the prairietrail looking for more birds. Todd and Isavored the moment sitting on the tail gate watching her work, not in any hurryto go anywhere or do anything. We talkedof life and things he wanted to do while he still had the strength andenergy. I think he looked at me and sawwhat happens to a man when Mother Nature runs her course. The spirit is willing but the body will failyou. But, I think deep down we bothrealized this could be the last time the three of us would hunt together.
This story has been difficultto write. More often than not my screenhas been clouded by the tears that would well up in my eyes. Any man who has owned a good dog willidentify with my story. Those who grewup as I did reading “Big Red” will conjure up memories of their own and theirtears will also come freely.
We had a heck of a life thatlittle white dog and me. She taught melessons no college degree would ever come close to. Now, I find myself walking out to her kennelto check on her. I save bones and hotdogs from the restaurant but she’ll never eat them. I hunted with a friend last fall behind hisdog and it wasn’t the same. God, I missthat bitch.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure why some of those word a conjoined but I hope you enjoy my story

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had several Brit's over the years. So I have toughed out losing my buddies. It's never easy. But the good time memories will always make your day just a little bit better.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84