Helix 9/10.... DI or SI?

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
As I read the info about the Hummingbird models I feel like it's time to switch from Lowrance. If you were to pick between the two, would you prefer the Down Imaging or Side Imaging? I'm tending to lean toward the DI model.

JCNodak

Honored Member
I am wrestling with that decision myself. Is it really time to switch to the bird? With their new MEGA imaging, it's hard not to. To answer your question, I have fished with enough people that have side imaging and my next unit will have that. Also, 9 vs 10. The price makes it a hard decision. They are the same housing from what I understand. The difference is the screen size.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am wrestling with that decision myself. Is it really time to switch to the bird? With their new MEGA imaging, it's hard not to. To answer your question, I have fished with enough people that have side imaging and my next unit will have that. Also, 9 vs 10. The price makes it a hard decision. They are the same housing from what I understand. The difference is the screen size.

Screen resolution and a few other things(processor speed?) are also improved on the 10.

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a helix 9 si last summer and it is a nice unit. It has a really large case (same as helix 10). I couldn't justify the extra $500 for 1" of screen. The 9 still has autochart live and SI and DI and all that good stuff. I really don't use DI, I guess I am more used to the standard 2d sonar but the side imaging is useful. You can pick weed lines and see fish near shore without driving right over them and find rocks and other smaller pieces of structure fairly easily.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
You want it all! Personally, being a Red River guy I use my AutoChart Live maps more than any other feature on the unit. If I am not on a specific pattern and am searching for fish or identifying structure it is SI all the way. I don't even have DI on a quick button I use it so little. I know a lot of people who like it to identify a stump or brush vs 2d but my SI tells me all that if there is a question.

I am going Helix 10 G2N with Mega for 2017 (Unless I decide on a Solix 12 in the 11th hour) I am most excited about the new AutoChart Live features that will identify vegetation and bottom hardness. These transitions will help make more solid maps vs the older versions.

After all that get what fits your budget. Even with less resolution it is way way better than the 800,900 and 1100s of just a couple years back. Heck even the Helix 5 or 7 is awesome just a bit harder to see due to less screen size.

NDHick

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe take a look at the Garmin's I switched from the bird to a 93sv last summer. Love the ease of use and don't need the extra transducer for high speed runnin. The side imaging is awesome and di is great too. Plus you can add panoptix (sp) which will be my next purchase.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i went bird last year and am pleased... got the 9 di si... only buzz kill for me vs the 10 was (at the time anyway) that you cannot build the screens on the 9, and there is 1 i really wanted to put together but couldn't... a small amount of buyers remorse here, but not 500 bucks worth...

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Okay.... so I should focus on the SI model. Now, is there a best-time to buy these? I understand that Cabelas will begin pushing out 2016 models at a reduced cost and throw in a chip to boot, some point by soft water. Is there a better place to buy one of these than Cabelas/Bass Pro?

The only choice, locally, will be to wait for the Tribune Sport Show in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why? Scheels has them and will match anyone's price. I got the mapping chip for half price because some boat vendor in Maryland had them on sale on their website so Scheels matched. Runnings also has the helix line just not sure if they have the 9 si in Stock at all times. I have the 9 on my little boat the only problem I've had with it is I tend to get to wrapped up in mapping and don't do enough fishing. The SI is the way to go so you get the whole package in one shot. It works well to mark a tree off to the side then switch is over to down Imaging for a better look at it when you pass over it.

Fox Island Outfitter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just bought 2 12" and 1 10" helix with cables and port box at the sport show in Fargo. Saved about $1000 on everything. The solix aren't available yet but that 15" screen would be sweet. Making the switch from Lowrance. Their sonar is top notch but the birds Mega imaging loooks awesome. Looking forward to trying em out this spring.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look at Fleet Farms web site. I bought mine on there. Also I came across Kevin Van Dams web site (radvandamwarehouse.com) and seen they have humminbirds on sale quite often.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 150
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88