Hogs

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
$100 for a hog is a darn good deal for the buyer. Can't go wrong there. If you have ever butchered anything you can do a hog. We don't like ours very fat and prefer them not over 250 but it depends on the hogs as some breeds are longer than others therefore you can have them heavier and not be super fat.
Heck if you don't do a good job butchering who really cares. All you care about is how good they will taste.
My mouth just waters thinking back in the day when we would roast a whole butchered hog in our roaster and man was it good. An old timer used to mix up the "sauce" that we would inject into the meat before roasting and wow just makes ones mouth water thinking about it. Lost the ingredients recipe that he used and my memory won't let me have it!
Enjoy those hogs boys and fill those freezers as meat will be very hard to get if it isn't yet in your neighborhood.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
a hog should dress about 55-60 percent of live weight. Have been thinking about getting one myself. (years working in packing houses may give me a bit of experience LOL)

If I do one I plan on scalding it for the pork rind plus the wife likes the roast with the skin on. plan on doing side pork instead of bacon and making plan roasts out of the ham.

Problem for me is no real place to do it, no one complains about deer but if pigs start hanging from trees all over there may be some complaints.

there are some on bisman for $110 not too far away from me.

Also dont forget the natural casings for sausage and the edible pork rectums as well 9cd8b58ef2aa0d56905b25aa704eacdf--weird-food-gross-food.jpg

yes those are a real product.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have 2 that are going to west Dakota meats on the 27th. The other one belongs to another guy. He might be interested in selling it if someone wants it. I guessing the weight is between 350-400 pounds.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We always skinned our hogs and then my mom would salvage all the fat to make lard. Stunk the whole house up but there is nothing better than lard for frying. Good memories. One time, after skinning a hog, a guy drove in the yard just as we were about done and suggested that we should have sharpened our axe before we skinned the hog. not the easiest to skin, or maybe it was the dull axe.

★ Legendary Member
A friend in Iowa where plants shut down was able to get some for free, but most are going $150 picked up at farm at 240-260pounds fed out.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
a hog should dress about 55-60 percent of live weight. Have been thinking about getting one myself. (years working in packing houses may give me a bit of experience LOL)

If I do one I plan on scalding it for the pork rind plus the wife likes the roast with the skin on. plan on doing side pork instead of bacon and making plan roasts out of the ham.

Problem for me is no real place to do it, no one complains about deer but if pigs start hanging from trees all over there may be some complaints.

there are some on bisman for $110 not too far away from me.

Also dont forget the natural casings for sausage and the edible pork rectums as well 284985719_3075355876050120_5652357904469206863_n.jpg

yes those are a real product.
Thought they were ground up for hotdogs.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
We always skinned our hogs and then my mom would salvage all the fat to make lard. Stunk the whole house up but there is nothing better than lard for frying. Good memories. One time, after skinning a hog, a guy drove in the yard just as we were about done and suggested that we should have sharpened our axe before we skinned the hog. not the easiest to skin, or maybe it was the dull axe.

WTF are you using an axe to skin a pig?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone ever roasted a whole hog in a pit? How hard is it?

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard that a guy in the Bismarck area bought seven 300 lb. hogs for $30 each. Sounds like a heck of a deal.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Butchered my first hog this year. I decided to say the hell with buying boston butts from the local grocery store. I watched a few youtube videos and got to work. Having fresh pork and using fresh pork with deer sausage was great. I would be game to buy another one.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Years ago the first wild hog I shot in Oklahoma was a big one. Me and another guy got it in the back of my pickup after I gutted it out. I took it to some hillbillys in Wapanoka Ok. I always said when they got done skinning it. It looked like they had skinned it with a chainsaw. The front shoulder area and up to the neck is the hardest fat I ever seen. They said it was like a shield. When my wife cooked it the smell was terrible. From then on I only keep the small one under 100 lbs

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years ago the first wild hog I shot in Oklahoma was a big one. Me and another guy got it in the back of my pickup after I gutted it out. I took it to some hillbillys in Wapanoka Ok. I always said when they got done skinning it. It looked like they had skinned it with a chainsaw. The front shoulder area and up to the neck is the hardest fat I ever seen. They said it was like a shield. When my wife cooked it the smell was terrible. From then on I only keep the small one under 100 lbs

If you got a boar this may have been your problem. Directly from "Old Yeller":

Cutting marks in a pig’s ear is bloody work, and the scared pig kicks and squeals like he’s dying; but he’s not really hurt. What hurts him is the castration, and I never did like that part of the job. But it had to be done, and still does if you want to eat hog meat. Let a boar hog get grown without cutting his seeds out, and his meat is too tough and rank smelling to eat.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a chance last week to buy in the Bismarck area for $ 40.00 each but have no time or place to butcher now.

How long can pork be in the freezer before the taste starts going down hill? I recall hearing 4 to 6 months but don't know how true

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would buy a pig if I knew someone that has a band saw and setup to just cut up each half for me. I would definitely pay the butcher for his time. Heck I would sit there and as he cut, I would back the meat into my coolers to take home and wrap it, pack it or vacuum seal. I would just want the ribs to smoke, chops, loin and a couple of hams to brine and smoke and pork belly to cut some bacon. The rest I would grind up and make some pork sausage and save some to mix with venison this fall. I don't need anything from the head or hock.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would buy a pig if I knew someone that has a band saw and setup to just cut up each half for me. I would definitely pay the butcher for his time. Heck I would sit there and as he cut, I would back the meat into my coolers to take home and wrap it, pack it or vacuum seal. I would just want the ribs to smoke, chops, loin and a couple of hams to brine and smoke and pork belly to cut some bacon. The rest I would grind up and make some pork sausage and save some to mix with venison this fall. I don't need anything from the head or hock.

And I want a toilet made out of solid gold, but it's just not in the cards now, is it?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 74
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31