Honest opinion?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would take someone with a great attitude (rinky dinky jobs and all) over poor attitude with credentials any day of the week. I would rather teach skill set to a person with a great attitude/work ethic.

Unfortunately, you are the exception to the rule. I wish it was more like that. People value their job and more than likely, make it a career.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those who think college is a waste obviously havent done much job hunting. Without a 4 year degree you cant even apply for many jobs out there. Its called a prerequisite haha.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfortunately, you are the exception to the rule. I wish it was more like that. People value their job and more than likely, make it a career.

Used to be like that. not anymore. Millennial generation are more apt to have numerous numbers of jobs throughout their lifetime as opposed to me as a baby boomer or even way more than the greatest generation. Used to stay at one job, retire and collect a pension. Not anymore. Millennials..good or bad.. are more the "what's in it for me?" today? Not necessarily opting to wait 5yrs for this or 10 yrs for that. They are more in the moment...if they don't like where there are currently at, they are more apt to shift and go where their needs are being met. Dont' believe me..take a look at all the job openings in the restaurant industry. Nobody wants to work those jobs anymore. I can recall when I was a young kid, you cut your teeth on those entry level jobs...and they were tough to come by. You had to interview well to expect to get a job and work your butt off to keep it...nowadays..you just need to be able to breathe.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to be like that. not anymore. Millennial generation are more apt to have numerous numbers of jobs throughout their lifetime as opposed to me as a baby boomer or even way more than the greatest generation. Used to stay at one job, retire and collect a pension. Not anymore. Millennials..good or bad.. are more the "what's in it for me?" today? Not necessarily opting to wait 5yrs for this or 10 yrs for that. They are more in the moment...if they don't like where there are currently at, they are more apt to shift and go where their needs are being met. Dont' believe me..take a look at all the job openings in the restaurant industry. Nobody wants to work those jobs anymore. I can recall when I was a young kid, you cut your teeth on those entry level jobs...and they were tough to come by. You had to interview well to expect to get a job and work your butt off to keep it...nowadays..you just need to be able to breathe.

Years ago, the ND DFL was mailing out postcards with a picture of a road sign that read, "Welcome to North Dakota: the state where you have to work two lousy jobs just to make ends meet." Grandpa Pete said, "Leave it to the Democrats to complain about being able to find not one, but TWO jobs and making ends meet!!" Damn straight!!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I'm a part of that generation so don't try to boil it down to one consistent ideology between people my age. I mowed lawns, I worked in the restaurant industry, and I'm currently receiving shit pay with the hope of buying into the company when I'm established enough. I don't even get a pension, but I'm still willing to stay here with the idea that one day, I'll be just fine. Lets face it, times change. What was the way to do things in the past, doesn't work in the present. Getting pretty tired of getting lumped into the group of lazy people just because of the generation I happen to be in.

*Not to mention, I HAD to go to school for almost 8 years before I can do this job. Is my bachelors degree worth the paper it is printed on? No. But it's my pass to go to the next level. A necessary evil in today's world. I wish I could go back in time when an associates degree got you into the local country club.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to work with a fella that had his bachelors and really thought that meant he was above anyone who didn't. He even made comments about coworkers who only had a associate degree, saying their opinion didn't matter as they only have an associate...haha

Sometimes a degree turns someone into a know it all asshat.

I have a good friend who went to Wahpeton and became a mechanic, he is one of the wealthiest guys in town, and I have never heard him say a word about anyone else being above or below him because of their education, or lack of it.

Plenty of farmers that I do business with that have more money than the guy who owns the bank, and some of them have little to no education.

If you are 18yrs old and don't have your path into a family business, get the education and open more doors, but don't think for one second a degree makes you more intelligent, harder working, or more driven, than the guy without it.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to work with a fella that had his bachelors and really thought that meant he was above anyone who didn't. He even made comments about coworkers who only had a associate degree, saying their opinion didn't matter as they only have an associate...haha

I have a good friend who went to Wahpeton and became a mechanic, he is one of the wealthiest guys in town, and I have never heard him say a word about anyone else being above or below him because of their education, or lack of it.

Plenty of farmers that I do business with that have more money than the guy who owns the bank, and some of them have little to no education.

If you are 18yrs old and don't have your path into a family business, get the education and open more doors, but don't think for one second a degree makes you more intelligent, harder working, or more driven, than the guy without it.

Spot on Johnr! spot on..and that's the point I was trying to make.
and..sorry dirtymike..I didn't mean to pee in your Wheaties and say any generation was better or worse than any others. I have no idea what generation you are. My only point is that each generation is different but at the end of the day if a candidate for hire, whether he or she has a degree or not, comes across as arrogant, with a holier than thou attitude, their chances are greatly diminished.
A lot about life is learned in kindergarten. Reminds me of a book of somewhat the same name.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member

Well said, juan.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
��

Last edited:

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
All my generation thinks about is beer and tits, but I don't know what we are called.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would take a business degree again in a heartbeat. Best 40-50 grand I have spent.

I say the same thing about my science degree, with it I can earn enough to hire someone with your business acumen to multiply my money. And I still get to do what I like for my own career. Winning!

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I could go back I'd probably do a trade school; income there is right up with white collar in a lot of instances. Or I'd be more focused and get done what I just got done a lot earlier. If I was female I'd focus on male dominated professions: engineering and the like. Big companies like MDU in this area will never tell a minority 'no'.

red eyed devil

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only real freedom any of us have is to make our own decisions. My advice is the same i tell my wife is do what u want and what makes u happy.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
All I know is I want to be that ahab guy as he gets the most fishing time

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Without it I would have not got my foot in the door to something awesome. I will pay that cost off 200 times over in my life.[/QUOTE

A college degree is a key that opens a lot of doors. There are many jobs you cannot get an interview for if you dont have a degree listed on your application.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11