How Long Before New Dog?

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lost my girl dog three months ago and it was devastating. She was my best buddy. We have one dog left (10 year old lab), but he is "my wife's". Don't get me wrong, I love that old guy and he is great. When my girl died I told myself I wasn't interested in getting another dog.

Over the last couple weeks though, I have been getting the itch to look for another girl pup. I'm not replacing the old one, not at all, but I feel pretty guilty about wanting another one so fast. I've been researching blood trailing and would love to train a dog to do that since we hunt deer so dang much, but my old guy is "retired", so that will be a job for the next one.

My wife things I'm moving on too fast, but I'm not looking at it as moving on. Heck, I drove past the farmstead we got her last bird a few days back and I cried like a baby. It's just that there is something missing. The girl dog was "mine" so though everyone was sad, I don't feel like they notice the void as much as I am.

I suppose I'm just ranting here, but I'd like to know what you all think, or what experience you've had with getting another puppy after losing a dog.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mystery liver ailment took down my lab in her prime during the Summer of 2021. Effed me up for a long time. Got another pup little more than a year later. Wish I would've done it sooner. We never "get over" a dog's death. But training a new pup was exactly what I needed to get through the grief. Rather than mope around the house and be depressed, the pup will get you out of your funk and get you outside doing drills.

Also, do everything you can to train yourself to not compare the new dog to their predecessor. No good will come of those thoughts

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lined up my next dog after the death of the previous one in about 2 weeks, It was a mistake, as I do not have the connection with the new one, even after 10 years, as I did the former. Was too soon of a replacement, to the point I almost resent the current dog for not being exactly like the former.

This will also be my last one.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Me it was 3 months after I lost my first pup to cancer, I may be different because I didn't have a lot of time with neco before he was taken by cancer. He was only 22 months old when I lost him and felt I had enough time to go through a lot of grieving. You will find others with similar situations as you probably here and of course everyone is different. But nothing heals faster then starting a new journey in life after you have had ample time to process the ups and downs of getting a new pup and have had ample time to grieve a loss as devastating as losing your best friend. I personally think you are ready now just that fact that you are thinking or contemplating of it tells me you are are done grieving and your thinking of pulling the trigger on the long selection process of finding another best friend. JMTC
Good luck bud 👍
Ps for me Wilson is a much better dog the neco was, and was happy I I was able to find a breeder with exceptional dogs and what was amazing to me is her Facebook page is full of her videos of the litter pups you possibly are looking at to get. Her total interactions with all her dogs is really top notch compared to other places I researched at that time She treats every dog as if they are her children, and as a stay at home breeder she takes care of her moms and her pups in her home to give them as much social interactions with people and other dogs as she can. She is amazing human being and i have never seen any ads on sites from her selling her pups it's strictly word of mouth. Gina is awesome and it was on this site that I was able to get her name from.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
When Credar who looked healthy at 10 was suddenly riddled with cancer I was looking at litters with in the week. It was the first time i had been with out a lab in 18 years and one of the worst winters ever. I got banks that next April. Banks turns four this Feb boy time flies but I am going to get another puppy when he is 5. That will give me plenty of time to have the next guy ready to roll when its time for banks ( I dont even want to think about this) retire or slow down due to age.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
A new dog is like a new girlfriend, new one makes getting over the old one a whole lot easier. I have a female dog right now, and while I like her, I wont get another female dog, always had a males in the past and prefer the personality of male dogs over female...

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone is different with their feelings and emotions. I don't think anyone can answer your question but you. I've had labs since I was 18. I always think you can never have too many dogs. I have 3 labs, a 2yr old, 9yr old and and 15 1/2 yr old. When old guy gives up the ghost I'll probably start searching right away.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys, I honestly was just looking to see if anyone else thought about it this soon.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always started looking asap. My dogs were always staggered in age so it was somewhat easier to get over the loss. But I am not sure you ever get completely over it.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Aaron - the fact that you are already considering a new pup says it all. Go with your heart - you know what is best for you and your family. If/when you get a new pup, I would bet you will love and protect her just like you did the girl you just lost. Best of luck...keep us posted!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 145
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88