• Propane

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • Electric

Votes: 121 50.4%

• Total voters

fishman

Founding Member
Founding Member
its funny to listen to all the strikemasters drilling thru 3ft of ice on lake Winnipeg, and then someone fires up a old 3hp jiffy and is hammers a hole out in half the time. a sharp 8inch 3hp jiffy still rocks

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
its funny to listen to all the strikemasters drilling thru 3ft of ice on lake Winnipeg, and then someone fires up a old 3hp jiffy and is hammers a hole out in half the time. a sharp 8inch 3hp jiffy still rocks

Three years ago on devils we were drilling through 4+ feet of ice with the old jiffy which has so much power you never had to pull up the ten inch to clean out the ice shavings.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jiffy from the 80s I believe is what I got. Burn synthetic never smells new blades she works good.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member

The problem is those old heavy Jiffys will wear a guy out quickly up there. The first time i went up to winny we had 4 augers, a Jiffy, eskimo, an older strikemaster and a new strikemaster 4 stroke. The only one still working after three days of hell was the 4 stroke strikemaster but even that one was spewing oil.

Our guide for the first day up there actually had a solo powerhead on an eskimo auger. He claimed that after all his experience that the solo power head was the most reliable engine and the eskimo had the best blade system. He said he kept having problems with the lazer blades angle getting out of wack.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an Ion for early ice.

I have a Tanaka powerhead with a Nils drill which is an amazing combo. However, after adding the Nils extension (huge PIA) it is now a more mid winter flighting.

I just picked up a K-Drill and am having a custom adapter made for the Tanaka. I will compare the Nils and K-Drill soon hopefully. This combo will most likely get 75% of my attention.

I have had the Jiffy Pro4 and couldnt get rid of it fast enough.

Tanaka/K-drill is a sweet setup that you will enjoy. My nils blade has spent the last two winters in storage.

- - - Updated - - -

For now I'm going to have to say the fuel with kdrill attached. I like the fact that it is light. So far it has been great on early ice but I'll see how it handles when we get 2 feet. I'm going to order the 9amp battery hopefully that will last me the day instead of bringing a couple backups.

If you end up getting the 9 amp please post a report. been throwing around the idea but waiting for the price to come down.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't asked Santa for anything for Christmas until now. The nine amp is on the list;)

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used my K drill for the first time today, absolutely love it! 8"-10" of ice and it flies through it, reverse the drill and push the slush out, no cleaning the hole. Best part is my shoulders feel great after drilling 20-25 holes. We'll see as winter goes on what I think as the ice gets thicker.

Journey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used my K drill for the first time today, absolutely love it! 8"-10" of ice and it flies through it, reverse the drill and push the slush out, no cleaning the hole. Best part is my shoulders feel great after drilling 20-25 holes. We'll see as winter goes on what I think as the ice gets thicker.

What drill do you have on it and battery size? My drill came with the small batteries and they wont cut much and are dead. Does a guy need the higher amp/hr battery to make them work.

Wishing I would have gotten the 6"

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm running a Dewalt brushless with the 5ah batteries. I already have several Dewalt tools so I figured why pick up an odd ball Milwaukee. Drilled all the holes with smell battery. I did 5 or 6 at a time then fished those and kept the battery in my bibs to keep it warm. Showed 1 bar on charge meter when I was done. That thing is lightening fast!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Problem with battery I u will all run into that day where the damn thing dies or u buy a battery every other yr imo just like the rest of your electronic.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never an issue I run no e. Never have did anything cept plugs. I don't let it sit come april gas gets stability n run out. One pull in fall. Synthetic 2 stroke. Plug always looks clean.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
i got a q though for the battery guys. My buddy has a strikemaster --- he only fishes above 10degrees. But if we go Sunday morning early --- and he leaves his machine outside -- how many holes will that sob drill after a couple hours sitting outside at 20 to 10 below. I am curious.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never an issue I run no e. Never have did anything cept plugs. I don't let it sit come april gas gets stability n run out. One pull in fall. Synthetic 2 stroke. Plug always looks clean.

When all you do is watch football and drink, that would be sufficient.;)

- - - Updated - - -

i got a q though for the battery guys. My buddy has a strikemaster --- he only fishes above 10degrees. But if we go Sunday morning early --- and he leaves his machine outside -- how many holes will that sob drill after a couple hours sitting outside at 20 to 10 below. I am curious.

Not sure what you are saying. Use grammar and english.;) Sorry Shorty, had to give some crap.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pick up one of these bad boys and you are golden to keep batteries charged. I have one with a cig lighter to plug into atv or vehicle (once ice is thick enough). Invertor/charger
2214a47b-6cae-4f5e-8211-7ca298ad61e2_1.50f9c38cf335d2ecbf8b66a59262f018.jpeg

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha -- to much Facebook -- tonight the xmas decorated horns are going to be on display. Its going to be cold tailgate.

My buddy has a electric strikemaster --- he only fishes when its above zero. My question-- Saturday its supposed to be 20 below. If we put that thing in the pickup box fully charged and he keeps it outside all day sunday -- how many holes will it drill before another charge (assuming its fully charged sunday am).

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
fyi for the guys with clam plates. I read they are recalling a bunch made for 8" due to a bad gear box (more clam chinese junk)

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha -- to much Facebook -- tonight the xmas decorated horns are going to be on display. Its going to be cold tailgate.

My buddy has a electric strikemaster --- he only fishes when its above zero. My question-- Saturday its supposed to be 20 below. If we put that thing in the pickup box fully charged and he keeps it outside all day sunday -- how many holes will it drill before another charge (assuming its fully charged sunday am).

Ha ha, totally kidding Joe. Not sure on the Strikemaster, but I would hand you my ice gator and ask you to drill it out of holes after sitting outside @ -20 for 24 hours. I would sit back and enjoy:)
\

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93