Ice Fishing Boots and Socks

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
and to clarify I mean throw a heat pack in the toe aree of the NEOS and step on them - you can't really tell they're there

you never have to remove your regular footwear (I wear insulated hunting boots inside my NEOS)

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
We were offered the NEOS overshoes with our clothing allowance the last few years of my federal service. They did well and worked great up until the severe cold weather. I would then switch to the bunny boot to keep toasty warm with those. NEOS are nice, not the weight of the bunny boot. Easy on / off over whatever you are currently wearing. Waterproof?? I recently shorefished the Missouri river with them and had a pin hole leak in them.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing to keep in mind is that while your feet do sweat, felt liners in boots like sorels normally sit against the cold rubber sole. As that felt gathers moisture, the cold sole will make the moisture condense under your liner, rather than allow it to be wicked away...and your feet get wet. It's not that your feet sweat a lot, the moisture just can't be displaced. Before you run out and buy an expensive pair of boots, consider a thin insole under your liner to provide a layer of insulation. Makes a huge difference.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
100% wool socks make a world of difference in any type boot. Going to be looking into the NEOS. My Sorrel Glaciers (-100°) are awesome but only the bottoms are waterproof, not good when augering. Artic Muck boots, waterproof but aren't the ticket like others suggested in the past.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have these:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...fb-pITNTcXVFZL998E2Nae1r7dKr2T3RoCISMQAvD_BwE

You don't have to worry about socks. Wear them or don't. Won't matter; wool or poly or cotton. Won't matter. As long as you don't rip a hole in the boot. You are good to go.

Sure they are 50 some ounces apiece. Who gives a shit as long as your feet are warm. I've worn these ever since I've served my country when I was 17 years old to keep my feet warm in the winter. They have NEVER failed me. I can't believe I see this complaint every year here and this is the only solution.

From the manufacturer: Adhere to temperate ratings and limitations - Lastly, it is imperative that the temperature rating is adhered to. Typically, these boots are ideal when the average temperature ranges from 14 degrees to 68 degrees and can effectively keep feet warm in temperatures down to -20 degrees. However, in extreme sub-zero temperatures, it is recommended that the body is kept exercised and moving. In temperatures below -20, white Bunny Boots are recommended as they can be rated for temperatures down to -60 degrees.

GET the WHITE ones. Good for down to -60!!!!!!!! If you watch any Alaska TV show on discovery channel, most people up there wear these; the white ones!!

X2 what this guys says,, I have the same and your feet will not get cold in these thing. Your not gonna win any fashion contests with these things if thats important to you though.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boots and gloves are tied for the 2 most subjective clothing items one can debate IMO. Hats/caps are a close 2nd.

The only "universal" truths regarding boots and gloves:

Wet = cold. Tight = cold.

Figure out a way to manage moisture. "Waterproof" anything means you better have a sock/socks system that can move moisture away from your skin as well as retain some insulative properties when wet as you're nearly guaranteed the boot won't breathe enough to keep you from sweating them wet from the inside. The same can be said for gloves/mittens. "Windproof" breathes only slightly better than "Waterproof".

When stationary, dead-air space is your friend. When mobile, dead-air space might make things "floppy", there's always a trade-off.

A really good warm hat can do a very good job of keeping your hands and feet warm as well. Your body will constrict the blood-vessels in your extremities to keep your noggin warm, same goes for your core.

Moisture management is THE key to staying comfortable.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
warm noggin is indeed helpful

it's too bad that a hot scalp drives me bat$hit crazy

I'm a hood guy - cap and short collar is popular with many folks and I'm always baffled - I HATE a cold back of the neck

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Feet always cold ! Purchased Baffin boots and smart wool socks feet never cold again!

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pair of Cabelas pac boots that I wear when fishing in the portable. Never gotten cold feet in these boots. They have removeable liners which I really like. Take them out at the end of the day to let everything air out. If I'm going to be in a wheel house than I'll just wear my insulated hunting boots.

For socks I have few pairs of these from Darn Tough: https://darntough.com/products/boot-sock-full-cushion-1 They are expensive but the quality is really good and I feel they will last a long time. Wear them late season pheasant hunting too.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Feet always cold ! Purchased Baffin boots and smart wool socks feet never cold again!

I've gone this route as well. What has worked for me is a bit oversized Baffin boot and Heat Holder brand socks. If I am not going to be moving much at all(super late or super early boat fishing usually), I'll add one of those stick on the bottom of the boot toe "toe warmers". That has finally given me salvation from cold toes.

Fitz

Established Member
I wear shoes in the vehicle and throw on my Sorel Glacier XTs. Socks do not really matter for me as these are plenty warm (for me).

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
IF anyone is still doubling up white cotton "athletic" socks you're pretty much guaranteeing yourself cold feet.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get out the bread bags and an extra change or 2 of socks, depending on how much your feet sweat. Ohhh the good ol days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get out the bread bags and an extra change or 2 of socks, depending on how much your feet sweat. Ohhh the good ol days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I'd rather suffer a Black Velvet induced hangover than don bread sacks again. #Moonboots!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.outdoorlife.com/gear/best-ice-fishing-boots/
These korkers are pretty unique with the interchangeable soles with the carbide teeth, also looked at youtube videos and the boot still has some flexibility instead of the bulky boots like a baffin impact
I'm looking for a newer boot for this year needing a size up from the boot I have now. The ones I have I like very much but they don't make the chippewa arctic 50 anymore so these may be another option for me.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've gone this route as well. What has worked for me is a bit oversized Baffin boot and Heat Holder brand socks. If I am not going to be moving much at all(super late or super early boat fishing usually), I'll add one of those stick on the bottom of the boot toe "toe warmers". That has finally given me salvation from cold toes.
toe warmers on top of the toes work great too if walking/hiking in between sits (still hunting, etc.)

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
We were offered the NEOS overshoes with our clothing allowance the last few years of my federal service. They did well and worked great up until the severe cold weather. I would then switch to the bunny boot to keep toasty warm with those. NEOS are nice, not the weight of the bunny boot. Easy on / off over whatever you are currently wearing. Waterproof?? I recently shorefished the Missouri river with them and had a pin hole leak in them.
That might have been condensation - they don't breath. After an all day affair on the ice mine have a little water in them. Really shocked me.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy of mine had a xtra pair of these so gave them to me a million years ago. To this day, they are the best boots for sitting on the ice, etc. If the plan is to walk a ways, I simply don't wear them but if the plan is to mostly sit..these are the cat's arse. My feet/toes do not get cold. Full stop.

US MILITARY EXTREME COLD WEATHER BOOTS BUNNY -20 DEG BATA BLACK (Pre-Owned)​

jjk2_44
jjk2_44
  • (781)
US $130.00

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.outdoorlife.com/gear/best-ice-fishing-boots/
These korkers are pretty unique with the interchangeable soles with the carbide teeth, also looked at youtube videos and the boot still has some flexibility instead of the bulky boots like a baffin impact
I'm looking for a newer boot for this year needing a size up from the boot I have now. The ones I have I like very much but they don't make the chippewa arctic 50 anymore so these may be another option for me.
These are the ones I ended up buying in 2020. I have ZERO regrets. Best investment I've made in my feet in my life. Paired with merino wool socks they keep my feet warm. They are 100% waterproof. The interchangeable soles aren't a joke and have held up great. I use the ice cleat soles frequently early in the year and they perform. The BOA system for "tying your boots" has been flawless and makes putting them on and taking them off so easy and quick. 10/10 for me.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 160
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88