Ice Fishing Boots and Socks

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone wear 1200 gram plus muck boots? Can you walk a fair distance in them? Recommendations?
I'm not a big fan of muck boots, I have the next step down in insulation and they make my feet sweat something fierce, remedy that I haven't tried yet is to put antiperspirant on the bottom of your feet to help with sweating🤷‍♂️

Anyways back to my boots they aren't built very durable that the pieces that are glued together have come apart which is an easy fix again, with some super duper shoe goo. But also the neoprene uppers is starting to rot and discolor especially from using them while fishing the coulees in the spring in devils lake where the water has a higher salinity then other areas. Everyone who fishes devils in the winter can attest to that fact that you will see white rings around your pant legs when your clothing drys. Same issue with my brother's artic muck boots, they seemed to be made better years ago when the muck black chore boots first came out. Everything I mentioned is only about quality of the boot, as far as keeping your feet warm and dry they definitely do that perhaps in some ways too good In my brother and I's case that's true. JMTC

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pair of sorels that are dark like the kamik --- they have double liners. I have never been cold in them with my feet on the ice.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not a big fan of muck boots, I have the next step down in insulation and they make my feet sweat something fierce, remedy that I haven't tried yet is to put antiperspirant on the bottom of your feet to help with sweating🤷‍♂️

Anyways back to my boots they aren't built very durable that the pieces that are glued together have come apart which is an easy fix again, with some super duper shoe goo. But also the neoprene uppers is starting to rot and discolor especially from using them while fishing the coulees in the spring in devils lake where the water has a higher salinity then other areas. Everyone who fishes devils in the winter can attest to that fact that you will see white rings around your pant legs when your clothing drys. Same issue with my brother's artic muck boots, they seemed to be made better years ago when the muck black chore boots first came out. Everything I mentioned is only about quality of the boot, as far as keeping your feet warm and dry they definitely do that perhaps in some ways too good In my brother and I's case that's true. JMTC
Your feet are sweating cus you didnt have the clot shot.

My boots for deer hunting and pheasant - no insulation never --- if you dont stop walking you dont need insulation. for that matter wear them with a decent sock and for ice fishing and unless if the temp is below the teens they work fine.

Tail gaiting ---- last weekend we had our people still wearing dude shoes. Ground was cold -- i wont go that far. But i bet we have some nodaks kids espeically wearing dudes ice fishing.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Short I was thinking that since the topic of the thread was on ice fishing boots and socks that the poster that was asking about the muck boots being used for ice fishing. Technically he didn't specify that, but I gave my opinion based on the idea that he was. Perhaps he doesn't have an issue with sweating feet and he doesn't stand out on the ice when he is ice fishing. Clearly my perception of the muck boots are not of his and I can except that, but it may be beneficial since this same exact type of boots have been posted multiple times on nda.
Here some more discussions on the muck boots
https://nodakangler.com/forums/threads/muck-arctic-pro-or-arctic-sport.2764/
https://nodakangler.com/forums/threads/muck-boots.1296/#post-39078
https://nodakangler.com/forums/threads/muck-boot-alternative.6616/#post-151482
https://nodakangler.com/forums/threads/muck-boots-equivalent.13137/
Perhaps these are better suited for his intentions.
Yeah, what do I know I'm just a pureblooded white boy off the farm north dakota hick.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have both Artic Pro and Sport Muck. Sport are much lighter. Pro's are ok but if just standing around on the ice, feet will get cold after awhile. I wear 1 pair 100% wool socks so it is not a sweat factor. Haven't gotten cold feet if moving (shoveling, snow blowing ,etc)

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm giving the new Korker Neo Artic boots a try this year, pair that with a good medium wool sock probably. Previously had the Korker Polar Vortex which still work pretty good but they have finally broke down just enough were water can seep through the seems, bought that pair the first year they had them outside at Scheels Ice Fest so I suppose they are around 5yrs old.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm giving the new Korker Neo Artic boots a try this year, pair that with a good medium wool sock probably. Previously had the Korker Polar Vortex which still work pretty good but they have finally broke down just enough were water can seep through the seems, bought that pair the first year they had them outside at Scheels Ice Fest so I suppose they are around 5yrs old.
I was part of their testing trial as they developed the NEO Arctic boots a couple of winters ago. I'm sure they've made plenty of changes to them but I haven't had cold feet on the ice when paired with a nice heavy wool sock.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow 👌 those neo arctic look to built pretty stout being that they are slip on. And they possibly could be another alternative to the muck boots.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88